Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carers allowance

• 03-03-2020 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Guys!
    My little boy was diagnosed with Moderate/Severe ASD at Christmas. Only just sent off the DOM Care form 2 weeks ago and now taking a stab at the carers form. I'm just so tired and defeated by it all I'm wondering should I even be bothered to fill in the form?

Our little boy has severe sensory issues and is waiting to attend ASD preschool in September (hoping he'll have a place, if not he has to have a home tutor for 20 hours a week.)

I suppose I'm just wondering how exactly is the carers calculated and means tested? I've read the information on citizens information until my brain is gone numb, but still can't work out if I'll be entitled to it or not based on my partner's wages.

I don't want to waste more of my time and energy to fill out this form if we are over the threshold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tinytot1994

>>A BIT OF BACKGROUND HISTORY<<

I haven't worked since I went on Maternity leave from my old job in June 2017 a month before my son was born. Then while I was on unpaid maternity leave I was pregnant with my daughter who was then born in December 2018. I was due to return to work in June 2019 but unfortunately I had to hand in my notice as my little boy could not be placed in a creche or with a childminder, ( had tried both of these months previous to this but he had to be withdrawn as he had his problems before he was diagnosed with ASD).

His OT, Developmental Paediatrician, Psychologist and GP have all told me to apply for the Carers with the Domicilary.

My partner earns €750 after tax per week and I don't get any sort of social welfare because of his wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

I'd go into citizens information and see if they could start helping me.
    It seems to me that the payment is means tested and from the other post I can see that being an issue. I was on a working family payment and when I was given a pay rise at work I basically ended up on the same money because I lost the payment. The state is giving a baseline and as your partner earns a middle income you are in that squeezed middle that soo many of us hard working folks find ourselves in.

So apply for everything but keep your chin up. My prayers are with you tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tinytot1994

I'd go into citizens information and see if they could start helping me.
    It seems to me that the payment is means tested and from the other post I can see that being an issue. I was on a working family payment and when I was given a pay rise at work I basically ended up on the same money because I lost the payment. The state is giving a baseline and as your partner earns a middle income you are in that squeezed middle that soo many of us hard working folks find ourselves in.

So apply for everything but keep your chin up. My prayers are with you tonight.

Thank you very much!
    I completely understand everything so thank you for the reply. It makes me so sick to have to fight for all of this, I would give anything to be back at work and not be a "carer" for my little boy and for him to have a "normal" life. It's disgusting that after all these years of working my butt off I'm barely entitled to anything all because of my partners wage.

We barley get by these days because of previous loans he had taken out prior to our sons diagnoses, now we are paying for OT, SLT, ABA analyst fees and every other thing amounting to an average of €300 a week alone on just them things!
    Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get it off my chest as I'm trying to keep it together at home for everyone.

I am so sorry to hear about your change in circumstances, it's a fright to think you'd be better off working less hours to get more money in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I know if you were working you should be able to use your tax credits to qualify for a version of it.

My wife is on a temporary career break for similar reasons and that is what she did our income is in the middle income earner.

I believe some others on here might have got it recently and could also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭fits

You might be entitled to carers benefit either. Also apply for the incapacitated tax credit. That will help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I haven't worked since I went on Maternity leave from my old job in June 2017 a month before my son was born. Then while I was on unpaid maternity leave I was pregnant with my daughter who was then born in December 2018. I was due to return to work in June 2019 but unfortunately I had to hand in my notice as my little boy could not be placed in a creche or with a childminder, ( had tried both of these months previous to this but he had to be withdrawn as he had his problems before he was diagnosed with ASD).

His OT, Developmental Paediatrician, Psychologist and GP have all told me to apply for the Carers with the Domicilary.

My partner earns €750 after tax per week and I don't get any sort of social welfare because of his wages

I have no experience with Carer’s Allowance only benefit.

You need to look at your OH gross wage not net. You can deduct a few things like, pension, union fees etc. For career’s benefit you can deduct health insurance for the whole family. I would see if you can do this for Carer’s allowance!
    If your OH is over you could try and up the pension contributions and up the health insurance (if deductible for allowance).

Tax
    Are you jointly assessed or separately assessed?
    Apply for the incapacitated child tax credit €3300 per year. It can be backdated to birth with a max of 4 years.
    You can claim 20% back on all your medical expenses too.

Dca
    Keep applying. You will also receive €1700 in June called the “Carer’s support grant”.

Health insurance
    I have posted before of a really good vhi plan for kids where you can claim 75% back on OT, SALT etc there is no limit on the number of visits. It costs around €380ish...prices change. You can pay per month and just take it out for your child.
    There is no wait time on day to day expenses.

Best of luck :)

Which plan is that Millem?

fits wrote: »
    Which plan is that Millem?

Hi fits,

Vhi actually have 2...pmi5110 €382 per year per child and company plan extra level 2 €287 per child per year.
    Both give 75% back on day to day up to a refund of €4K. No limits on the number of visits and no waiting times for day to day regardless if it’s pre existing.

There could even be more plans at this stage! I only check twice a year....once for my family member and once for me!

Vhi are the only health insurer to allow a child have health insurance without an adult taking out a policy!

:)

Hi Millem
    Thanks, we actually have VHI policies already for our two and we are insured with another company. However I didnt realise such plans as above were available. We spent over 1000 euro on therapies last year. We would probably have a long waiting period but worth looking into.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Hi Millem
    Thanks, we actually have VHI policies already for our two and we are insured with another company. However I didnt realise such plans as above were available. We spent over 1000 euro on therapies last year. We would probably have a long waiting period but worth looking into.

There is no waiting period for any day to day for anyone under the age of 50 regard of any pre existing conditions.
    The waiting period is only for hospital cover (day and inpatient).

If you are on Facebook/instagram the mum who blogs “my boy blue” actually wrote about it before....she upgraded for her son Riley as was spending a fortune on OT, SALT etc.

My gang with Irish life health who allow you to switch mid policy year to one of their plans....I have done this previously.
    Vhi don’t let you switch so whichever one your boys are on they need to stay on that until renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

The plan is PMI 48 10 and as Millem said there is no wait period for day to day.

yellow hen wrote: »
    The plan is PMI 48 10 and as Millem said there is no wait period for day to day.

Great there is another one!
    There could even be a few more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

I'm In a similar situation to yourself, gave up work didn't have enough stamps for carers benefit but got approved the allowance. Your partner is allowed earn up to €665 and then your means tested on the rest
    If you are married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting the first €665 of your combined gross weekly income is disregarded. PRSI, union dues, superannuation (pension contributions) and travel expenses are also deducted.
    So calculate his pay after tax an you will get an idea.
    Apply ASAP as it takes 12/16 weeks and you will Defo be entitled to something pM and I can explain more detailed if you need

Advertisement