Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat Thread (PLEASE READ POST #1)

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

What a lovely gift! You'll have roses every year now!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭CorkClaire82

We aren't valentines people, we're actually going to his parent's later for the night ;-)

That rose bush idea is lovely, I'd much prefer that to a bunch to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

He popped by with a bunch of flowers and a heart-shaped cookie :) going out for dinner later.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Does anyone else wonder about the post wedding come down? Trying not to invest so much time planning for that reason

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I didn't experience it at all, although with that said I was knocked up within 8 weeks of getting married so I had other things on my mind :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Toots wrote: »
    I didn't experience it at all, although with that said I was knocked up within 8 weeks of getting married so I had other things on my mind :p

Hoping the honeymoon six months later will help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Ya know what? I was delighted not to have any planning to do after it - really thought I'd miss that but the last two weeks got so hectic with actually doing stuff as opposed to planning it that it was a relief to be over it all!

We set up a photo app and it was great seeing our guests' pics. There was also a few whatsapp groups set up and pics were sent to those abroad. We went to a festival as our honeymoon so were out of contact for a few days (bliss!) so was nice to check back in and see all those photos and memories. Esp the late nite pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Nope, no post wedding come down here either.

We went on honeymoon three weeks after so that may have had something to do with it but we had a great day and that's all that matters. I don't miss planning...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Right, it's our first Valentine's Day as husband and wife. Husband leaves getting a card to the last minute. Gives me the card saying "Eh I think I've made a mistake" I open card. Card says 'To My Special Husband'. 'Husband'

I'm bent double with silent laughter, tell him it's NBD. Funny though. And the written message inside is lovely. And accurate. It's these little mishaps that make life funny! Like on our wedding day when he put my ring on upside down. (I know a lot of wedding bands would be the same either way but mine has a big v shaped curve). He's a bit embarrassed but I think it's adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

No post wedding comedown here either, got married New Year's Eve just gone.

Yesterday it was me that bought a last minute card, and the writing it in a hurry I wrote happy anniversary instead of valentines!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

has anyone ordered any dresses from the likes of Ali Express, JJ;s or just came across another there http://www.idealprom.co.uk/wedding-dresses/?cat=59

just thinking they must be too good to be true but I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

They are obviously knock offs. Any ive seen the quality is horrid. But then they are charging peanuts.

Have you looked at ghost dye to order?

I think there was a mention of that before I shall take a looksee there and see thanks..Yeah it looks so much easier to hit the button and order haha but yes use the brain they cant be that nice for that much..

Uh just looked them up there, am I missing something they have some clothes but they all look very lets say for the older people style...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Milly33 wrote: »
    has anyone ordered any dresses from the likes of Ali Express, JJ;s or just came across another there http://www.idealprom.co.uk/wedding-dresses/?cat=59

just thinking they must be too good to be true but I wonder

Well, the pictures they're showing are of the original designer dresses. There's no indication of what their product would look like. So you're setting yourself up for absolute disaster by ordering from a website like that.

Eg http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91273622

This is what I am seeing when I look it up http://www.ghost.co.uk/shop there isn't much there....

Oh dear that is defiantly a disaster dress!! haha there was one I was looking at (they all seem to have the same dresses) think it was hush and the models are just gas. They tried for the first page me thinks and then went into photoshop http://www.musesdress.co.uk/wedding-dresses.html?p=2 it gets worse the more pages you click

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think this will be liked here...

B-HLtC9CAAAvf9f.jpg

(from the YLYL thread!)

My mum went into a well kniwn department store to look for her outfit. She is a very stylish lady who generally buys one good outfit a year often in the sales and gradually relegates previous years. Some jumped up personal shopper assistant first presented gaudy patterns whuch she'd never wear and then told her she had a problem with her size (16 or so) and budget. (presumption, she hadnt mentioned budget). Some of the staff in that place would want to take a look at themselves. Fuming.

Oh that's not nice. I hope your Mum didn't let it bother her.. Hope she walked out and spent her money elsewhere.. Were they young ones but any chance. Sometimes they just don't think, that just because your a mum as such you have no style..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

fits wrote: »
    My mum went into a well kniwn department store to look for her outfit. She is a very stylish lady who generally buys one good outfit a year often in the sales and gradually relegates previous years. Some jumped up personal shopper assistant first presented gaudy patterns whuch she'd never wear and then told her she had a problem with her size (16 or so) and budget. (presumption, she hadnt mentioned budget). Some of the staff in that place would want to take a look at themselves. Fuming.

Complain. Seriously.

My mam is very self concious of her weight, and would be very tomboyish, hates occasion wear. She was dreading a family wedding. She got a personal shopper in Debenhams Belfast who was absolutely brilliant - quickly established what styles mam might like, and the only problem mam had at the end was that she had several outfits she loved and didn't know what one to choose.

Hmm, was said department store located on Grafton Street by any chance??

I always try to avoid those personal shopper things, they're blatantly on commission, and very aggressive sellers.

Toots wrote: »
    Hmm, was said department store located on Grafton Street by any chance??

I always try to avoid those personal shopper things, they're blatantly on commission, and very aggressive sellers.

It was. Well if they are on commission they obviously concluded that my mum was a waste of time. And they were wrong. She has been shopping there for years. Some (not all) staff there have very elevated opinions of themselves

Yes, I've met a few cheeky little upstarts there over the years. You'd nearly love to ask them do they own many of the pieces of clothing they're trying to sell!

In other news i ordered shoes at christmas. Ivory block heel sandals in plain leather. I only saw them at weekend and a different pair of shoes had arrived! Same style but in cream embossed leather. They werent even on the website.

They are gorgeous and id be more likely to wear them again than the original pair, but they are not what i ordered and i dont think they go with the dress. Customer service are trying to figure out what the hell happened as that style was only offered with plain leather. Lol!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

fits wrote: »

I would find it very difficult not to punch someone who dared to speak to my mother like that tbh :mad:

Complain and get it on record. I would be quite sure that your mother isn't the first person she has behaved like that to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Had my first whoopsie today! Living abroad, we miss some nuances of our friends' lives, especially those not on facebook. So we sent out our save the dates yesterday, with the names of our guests of them. Sent one to "John & Jane", where John is an old friend of my fiances but the type where they only see each other maybe once a year, and Jane is his long term girlfriend (of maybe 3 years at least?). We got a reply back amended to "John +1" and a little note explaining that they'd broken up :o. I hope it wasn't too recent, so it wasn't too much of a kick in the nuts!

I would find it very difficult not to punch someone who dared to speak to my mother like that tbh :mad:

Complain and get it on record. I would be quite sure that your mother isn't the first person she has behaved like that to.

I have sent in a complaint.

I know a couple of people who used to work there and the stories are unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Faith wrote: »
    Had my first whoopsie today! Living abroad, we miss some nuances of our friends' lives, especially those not on facebook. So we sent out our save the dates yesterday, with the names of our guests of them. Sent one to "John & Jane", where John is an old friend of my fiances but the type where they only see each other maybe once a year, and Jane is his long term girlfriend (of maybe 3 years at least?). We got a reply back amended to "John +1" and a little note explaining that they'd broken up :o. I hope it wasn't too recent, so it wasn't too much of a kick in the nuts!

I did the same... Cousins of my husband that we wouldn't see much... MIL was adamant that we invited their boyfriends and instead of me writing 'X+1' like I should have, I didn't want to seem impersonal so contacted her on FB and asked what his name was and she was like... 'ermmm we broke up about 3 months ago but thanks!'

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh, this is such a lovely idea for your wedding dress after the big day. Far better than a trash the dress photoshoot IMO which I think is a terrible waste.

I do a bit of sewing myself, don't think I'd have the skill to do something like this though. But I'd gladly donate my dress afterwards for it if there was something like this here...

Advertisement