Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-07-2020, 16:45   #61
Banned

Starbucks hopefully. Actually I hope all the major coffee chains fold.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 16:47   #62
Yurt!

Were it not for political conditions between the US and China, I would put down Boeing as a candidate for Chinese investment coming in, buying them and asset stripping them the next time they got into trouble (and they will). Obviously not a possibility in the foreseeable future however.
Thanks from:
30-07-2020, 17:02   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
Penneys.

The days of fast disposable fashion are well numbered. The environmental impact is unjustifiable.
Because when companies say they are sustainable, we know they won’t lie.
Thanks from:
30-07-2020, 17:09   #64
.anon.

Mitsubishi. They announced plans to wind down their European operations this week. Although their CEO has moved to reassure customers that this won't effect sales of their E tablets. I can see the likes of Suzuki and Subaru doing the same (disappearing from these shores, not selling Ecstasy).
(2) thanks from:
30-07-2020, 17:13   #65
punisher5112

Eir also known as eircon..,.

Virgin id say too as way too expensive...
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 17:19   #66
Yurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anon. View Post
Mitsubishi. They announced plans to wind down their European operations this week. Although their CEO has moved to reassure customers that this won't effect sales of their E tablets. I can see the likes of Suzuki and Subaru doing the same (disappearing from these shores, not selling Ecstasy).

Japan is the home of the zombie corporation (Toshiba, Sharp, Olympus and more). non-performing firms big and small kept alive for decades by sweetheart low-interest lending arrangements. They've been trying to call time on this phenomenon for years but the problem is so deeply embedded in the economy it's hard to know what to do. Japan needs a new economy to emerge, it's a wonderful nation slowly eating itself.
30-07-2020, 18:12   #67
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Why? Where I work we access the system using smart cards. If I want to work elsewhere or present from my PC I simply take the card with me to wherever I need to be, plug it into the card reader there and use the keyboard and mouse at that desk. Working from home I plug a card reader into a USB port on my desktop and work away as if I were in the office. A laptop isn't needed in the office and at home I could use one but I use the desktop out of personal preference.
Never heard of such a system nor would it be practical for most, I don’t really like the sound of it either over having my own machine. It’s absolutely no good to you unless you have machines everywhere you go to plug into also.
Thanks from:
30-07-2020, 18:45   #68
Muahahaha

Hertz might be one that falls from this Covid mess. I know they are trying to sell off huge parts of their fleet at the moment because of the collapse of tourism. At a minimum there will be massive redundancies.
Thanks from:
30-07-2020, 18:54   #69
bertiebomber

a lot of retail will be gone within 2 years the lockdown has progressed online shopping and it will only get used more so the rents and staff for retail will be redundant
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 18:58   #70
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKC View Post
I think that Apple and Facebook will either not be here or they will be like that Irish computer maker that used to be real big and the top seller but it's not exactly a household name now. Sorry its name is there in the back of my head but just not coming to me yet.
Hopefully someone here will think of it.
iQon were the only domestic manufacturer of any scale. Junk though.
30-07-2020, 19:06   #71
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post

So basically the entire wired broadband sector?

Not a hope.
30-07-2020, 19:20   #72
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
One thing that I thought was interesting yesterday, when Mark Zuckerberg was giving his evidence to the US Congress, was his statement that out of the top-10 tech firms a decade ago, only 3 are still in the top-10 (presumably Apple, Facebook, Google).

The tech landscape has probably become less competitive since then, in fairness, but we probably will see drastic changes throughout the 20s.

I can't see Eir lasting in Ireland. Just seems like a ridiculous prospect. And the future of An Post seems similarly dubious.
30-07-2020, 19:27   #73
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
Tesla will be far bigger in ten years
Musk s ego will destroy them,
30-07-2020, 19:30   #74
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post

EIR will survive, I don't know why but it's seems no matter how badly they treat their customers they still keep them.
30-07-2020, 19:34   #75
dotsman

On the desktop front, I would almost see them become more popular in the near future. With people working from home a lot more, they are moving away from being hunched over a coffee table and looking for a more comfortable working environment.

A proper desk, with a desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse is far superior to any laptop scenario.

With regards An Post, I see them still being here. They have improved greatly in the online shopping world in recent years, and have the network/relationships. Will they need a government "top-up - now that is the question.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion