Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst song ever?

• 12-07-2008 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Do you have a particular song that you consider to be the worst song ever? If so, what is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Neesa wrote: »
    Do you have a particular song that you consider to be the worst song ever? If so, what is it?

Em-Bop by Hanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 guitarsongs

Billy Don't be a Hero - Paper Lace...uckkkk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Natasha Beddingfield, The one about the babies.

Mine ears!!1 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Billy Don't be a Hero - Paper Lace...uckkkk

bad bad song

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tom Jones - Black Betty

Absolutely woeful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Classic by Adrian Gurvitz

"Got to write a classic
    Got to write it in an attic"

After that opening no song stands a chance!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

'Life' by Des'Ree (or whatever way u spell it). That is the worst song ever, FACT! (I've written FACT, which means its beyond arguement:) )

I don't want to see a ghost
    thats a sight that i fear most
    rather have a piece of toast

I mean WHAT?? It was the biggest selling bristish single of the year when it was released too:confused: Oh I hate that song so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 SeraphIRL

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Tom Jones - Black Betty

Absolutely woeful

wtf? this song is savage!! black betty is a classic.

Worst song ever "Blur - Beetlebum" Omfg horrible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

THE FAST FOOD song, damn thing drove me bonkers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Tom Jones - Black Betty

Absolutely woeful

Black Betty is an original Leadbelly song isn't it? Leadbelly was a legend.

My nomination would be Castles in the Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

JimiTime wrote: »
    'Life' by Des'Ree (or whatever way u spell it). That is the worst song ever, FACT! (I've written FACT, which means its beyond arguement:) )

I don't want to see a ghost
    thats a sight that i fear most
    rather have a piece of toast

I mean WHAT?? It was the biggest selling bristish single of the year when it was released too:confused: Oh I hate that song so much!

David Brent's favourite of hers ;)

Des'ree's his favourite singer:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

IanCurtis wrote: »
    David Brent's favourite of hers ;)

Des'ree's his favourite singer:

LOL:D Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nothing compares to the dual horror of:

The Birdy Song - The Tweets
    Agadoo (do do) - Black Lace

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Tom Jones - Black Betty

Do you mean worst version?
    Never heard Tom sing it. It's a great song though!

Nothing compares to the dual horror of:

The Birdy Song - The Tweets
    Agadoo (do do) - Black Lace

Classics tbh. :pac:

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Do you mean worst version?
    Never heard Tom sing it. It's a great song though!

I mean all versions. I absolutely detest the song with a passion.

I remember now, yore a Backstreet boys fan! :D

Ha ha give me 'As Long As You Love Me' over that irritating 'Black Betty' chorus any day! :D

Back on topic, that reminds me....

'As long as you love me'

Fúcking awful song!

'I don't care who you are
    Where you're from
    What you did
    As long as you love me'

Very rosemantic! :rolleyes: :D

I agree, almost as creative as 'Whoa Black Betty bambalam'.

BAMBALAM?! WTF IS THAT?!?!?!

Black Betty

Source

Meaning:

The origin and meaning of the lyrics are subject to debate. Some sources claim the song is derived from an 18th century marching cadence about a flint-lock musket with a black painted stock; the "bam-ba-lam" lyric referring to the sound of the gunfire. Soldiers in the field were said to be "hugging Black Betty". In this interpretation, the rifle was superseded by its "child", a rifle with an unpainted walnut stock known as a "Brown Bess".[8]

Other sources[who?] claim the term was a contemporary reference for a prostitute, a prison bullwhip, or the "paddywagon".

David Hackett Fischer, in his book Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America (Oxford University Press, 1989), states that "Black Betty" was a common term for a bottle of whiskey in the borderlands of northern England/southern Scotland, and later in the backcountry areas of the eastern United States.

In Lead Belly's version of the song, Black Betty is characterized as a woman with a child:

Woah, Black Betty
    bam-ba-lam
    Woah, Black Betty
    bam-ba-lam

Black Betty had a child
    bam-ba-lam
    Black Betty had a child
    bam-ba-lam

Damn thing gone wild
    bam-ba-lam
    Damn thing gone wild
    bam-ba-lam

In an interview (see The Land Where the Blues Began, 1st Edition, Alan Lomax, Pantheon Books, 1993) conducted by Alan Lomax with a former prisoner of the Texas penal farm named Doc Reese (aka "Big Head"), Reese stated that the term "Black Betty" was used by prisoners to refer to the "Black Maria" — the penitentiary transfer wagon. Below is a song in which the term "Black Betty", used to refer to the wagon, appears in the context of a prison work song.[citation needed]

Black Betty's in the bottom,
    I can hear her roar,
    She's bringing some po sucker,
    With an achin soul.

She'll bring you here and leave you,
    Let your hammer ring,
    For a hundred summers,
    Let your hammer ring.

(and now we hear the most familiar part of the song)

Black Betty's got a baby,
    Let your hammer ring,
    Damn thing's gone crazy,
    Let your hammer ring,
    Dipped its head in gravy,
    Let your hammer ring.

[citation needed]
    This article or section may contain original research or unverified claims.
    Please improve the article by adding references. See the talk page for details. (April 2008)

In this interpretation, Black Betty's baby may be the prisoner himself, who has by his own admission "gone crazy" — as it was "Black Betty" who delivered the prisoners into the prison world ("She's bringing some po' sucker"). In the lyrics above, the phrase "Let your hammer ring" is used repeatedly. In this case, the "hammer" refers to the hoes used by prisoners to break up the ground in the cotton fields. The song itself was used to keep a steady rhythm among the workers as they toiled in the field. It had the added benefit of helping the time go by faster through collective participation.

Many early blues and proto-blues songs follow a theme that the wickedness of man (Adam) is the result of a woman (Eve). A number of early artists sang of how they got mixed up with a woman and ended up in prison as a result; in this context, the personification of the prison wagon as a woman makes sense.

As Long As You Love Me

Source

Due to illness and the deadline for the song, member A. J. McLean's vocals do not appear on the recorded version of the song. He was taught the background vocals by Brian Littrell at the music video shoot.

Fascinating! :pac:

• Advertisement

:D

Black Betty still give me a headache though!

Which BackpassageStreet was your fav?

Well Nick was too pretty boy for my personal tastes, Brian was the Shane Filan of the group i.e. ugly as sin but was the lead singer, AJ was too bad boy, and Howie....well wtf did Howie ever do? So that leaves Kevin. Kevin was kinda cool so I'll go with him.

Shane is teh hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

SeraphIRL wrote: »
    wtf? this song is savage!! black betty is a classic.

Worst song ever "Blur - Beetlebum" Omfg horrible!!

Beetlebum really? One of my favourites, love the long outro in paticular.

My least favourite is Jessie Hold On by Bewitched. *shudder*

Oh Jesse hold on (yeah, yeah, yeah, e, oh!) x 4
    Just hold on, and on, and on, and on
    Oh Jesse be strong
    Just hold on, and on, and on, and on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Black Betty still give me a headache though!
    Fascinating Captain, I always thought the version by Ram Jam in 1976 was an original composition, I must dig out their one and only LP from my vinyl library and see if Mr.Trad.Arr. has earned a few more million in royalties.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Jayzuz yez are a tough crowd to please. Although I don't think any of the songs mentioned so far I've ever intentionally played or bought but non of'm would have me wrestling the stereo out of the car if it came on the radio. In fact chances are I'd be singing along. And for one or two I'd pimp my granny to have wrote.
    Too, too hard to pick worst ever for me but at the moment it's gotta be eh can't think of name of band but maybe Stupid Kid? The song title i'm unsure of too...maybe it's Summer Going Mad?. The song is played to...well lot's of versions here....Werewolves of London (ok,ok,i know i know but it's my prefered example of the sweet home alabama lick. And before a snowstorm of historical trees start I'm stickin with werewolves!)
    I couldn't give a monkey about fooling around with other peoples good/bad tunes and nor do I mind cheesy lyrics. However this cynical abortion deserves all involved to be taken out to a dusty square in a desert town and lashed until they fall.
    Lazy, cynical schlock in its most deplorable form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

humberklog wrote: »
    Jayzuz yez are a tough crowd to please. Although I don't think any of the songs mentioned so far I've ever intentionally played or bought but non of'm would have me wrestling the stereo out of the car if it came on the radio. In fact chances are I'd be singing along. And for one or two I'd pimp my granny to have wrote.
    Too, too hard to pick worst ever for me but at the moment it's gotta be eh can't think of name of band but maybe Stupid Kid? The song title i'm unsure of too...maybe it's Summer Going Mad?. The song is played to...well lot's of versions here....Werewolves of London (ok,ok,i know i know but it's my prefered example of the sweet home alabama lick. And before a snowstorm of historical trees start I'm stickin with werewolves!)
    I couldn't give a monkey about fooling around with other peoples good/bad tunes and nor do I mind cheesy lyrics. However this cynical abortion deserves all involved to be taken out to a dusty square in a desert town and lashed until they fall.
    Lazy, cynical schlock in its most deplorable form.

How could someone not love this??!! Take two songs with a similar chord progression, mash them together, insert cheesy lyrics and let the magic happen. it's GENIUS!! Kid Rock for president.

While I can't think of one song that I would consider the worst ever, I can't with good conscience stay in the room if someone has rock star by Nickelback on the tv/radio. THe song absolutely does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

:mad:that "dry your eyes becks" bugs the **** out of me arse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

would have to be all summer long by kid rock plus rock star by nickleback though i agree about d,essree and life

the birdy song or even the crazy frog song or even mr blobby , there novelty records and thus are more forgivable

Advertisement