Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus

• 09-03-2020 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I wonder what the repercussions of the virus will be for the chess world? Are tournaments like Galway and the Easter festival in doubt? Will the Candidates be cancelled? Will chess come to a standstill until the virus has passed? How many fatalities will there be in the chess community? Worrying times indeed.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

For the time being, I guess we won't be shaking hands before and after games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

anchor4208 wrote: »

You still have to take their pieces, unless you flick them off the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

Plenty of chess events have been cancelled already. In Iceland, UAE (Dubai), Azerbajan,Thailand, Italy,Vietnam, to name just a handful, though there are many more I think.

Still far too early to know how bad it might get. So far it is at the contained stage in Ireland. Next few weeks are perhaps critical.

Fine line between panic, hysteria and sound precautions and preemptive actions/policies. The fact that flights from Italy were allowed to carry on without actions taken like serious screening is probably the reason it got in here. The way it works is - case - case, cluster - BOOM! If and when that happens here, goodness only knows how messed up things will be.

Varadkar and Simon Harris in charge? Holy cow, we are screwed for sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

anchor4208 wrote: »
    Already recommended by FIDE.

Though as begbysback points out, taking pieces is still an issue - as is sitting so close to your opponent for so long. So you may as well shake hands really.

cdeb wrote: »
    So you may as well shake hands really.
    Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

spidersweb wrote: »
    Plenty of chess events have been cancelled already. In Iceland, UAE (Dubai), Azerbajan,Thailand, Italy,Vietnam, to name just a handful, though there are many more I think.

Still far too early to know how bad it might get. So far it is at the contained stage in Ireland. Next few weeks are perhaps critical.

Fine line between panic, hysteria and sound precautions and preemptive actions/policies. The fact that flights from Italy were allowed to carry on without actions taken like serious screening is probably the reason it got in here. The way it works is - case - case, cluster - BOOM! If and when that happens here, goodness only knows how messed up things will be.

Varadkar and Simon Harris in charge? Holy cow, we are screwed for sure.
    Not meaning to be facetious about it but in the unlikely event that we end up losing three or four percent of the population the Government will no longer have to worry about finding the money for pensions in the near future, the hospital overcrowding would , in the long term, be solved and probably the housing crisis too. I hesitate to say that every cloud has a silver lining as it would be too high a price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pdemp

Already recommended by FIDE.

Though as begbysback points out, taking pieces is still an issue - as is sitting so close to your opponent for so long. So you may as well shake hands really.

Running the older age groups events seems incredibly irresponsible given that the death rate is so heavily skewed towards 50+ and even more for 65+. That 1m advice should be for breathing only, droplet spread increases to 2m for coughs in indoor environments and something like 6m for unobstructed sneezes.

Locally the last round of the leagues should definitely be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pdemp wrote: »
    It's far enough away that we can sit and wait on it for now. By late April, most likely either nothing like that will be going ahead, or we'll be past the worst of it. I guess we can postpone it for several months if necessary. Round 10 of the Armstrong is in 9 to 11 days though. That needs a call made in the next week. Probably best to wait the week too, just to see what's happening seeing as the situation is changing rapidly.

I presume sodacat wouldn't object to postponements in the current situation. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

The World Senior Team Championships is in progress in Prague but some players (including GM Nunn) and even a few whole teams withdrew. Ireland 65+ are playing with a team of 3 as one person decided not to go in the end. They managed to draw their match yesterday against higher-rated opponents despite defaulting board 4.

I think senior events (and even many ordinary events) abroad and in Ireland must be in doubt though it looks like the Candidates will go ahead, with Maxime Vachier-Legrave replacing Radjabov who decided not to go to Russia.

Reykjavik cancelled its Open a couple of days ago. I have doubts whether the Chess Olympiad in Moscow will go ahead in August.

The last round of the Leinster leagues and the last round of the 4NCL may be just when infections reach their peak.

mikhail wrote: »

I presume sodacat wouldn't object to postponements in the current situation. :p
    Sodacat has no objections. The whole thing is a massive pain in the (_x_). The repercussions are potentially catastrophic, not just from a health viewpoint but also financially and socially. Imagine what it would be like if a virus like this with a 100% death rate for all age groups ever started spreading.
    Chess seems trivial in comparison but I am hoping that both Galway and the Easter tournaments will go ahead and that the whole crisis is over by the time the Irish Championship comes around.

• Advertisement

I blame the government.

pdemp wrote: »
    Advice going out to clubs from the LCU in the next day or two is that league games should continue as scheduled for the moment. They're of a scale which is way below any ban on gatherings in other countries (except Italy and China). But any contrary advice from Government and even the ICU in the near future can and will change that.

The last round of the leagues are six weeks away, which is too far away to make a call on at the moment, but if clubs do want to try play games early, that would be encouraged.

But with 10 cases being diagnosed today - the biggest one-day jump yet - the simple fact of the matter is nobody knows what next week will look like (this time last week, there were just 2 cases here), so this is something which will probably evolve over the coming days and weeks.

I'm amazed that Cheltenham is going ahead. Sixty thousand people a day squashed in like sardines and most of them Irish.

And with an active case in Cheltenham too.

Advice going out to clubs from the LCU in the next day or two is that league games should continue as scheduled for the moment. They're of a scale which is way below any ban on gatherings in other countries (except Italy and China). But any contrary advice from Government and even the ICU in the near future can and will change that.

The last round of the leagues are six weeks away, which is too far away to make a call on at the moment, but if clubs do want to try play games early, that would be encouraged.

But with 10 cases being diagnosed today - the biggest one-day jump yet - the simple fact of the matter is nobody knows what next week will look like (this time last week, there were just 2 cases here), so this is something which will probably evolve over the coming days and weeks.

Very sound and sensible.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    I'm amazed that Cheltenham is going ahead. Sixty thousand people a day squashed in like sardines and most of them Irish.

It is astounding really when you think about it. Like I said. I blame the governments:

https://youtu.be/K0HYh6zjTUo

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Number of total coronavirus cases in Italy

16 days ago: 100

10 days ago: 1,000

Today: more than 10,000

Ah sure, have a great time in Cheltenham

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pdemp

But will teams be punished if they chose to not field a team (rules 5.3 and 5.8, which allow for controller decisions). Risk assessment for a team of kids is very different from one with 6 seniors.

Right now, there's no particular reason not to play. The number of cases is tiny, there's no applicable government warnings, and it's more dangerous to use public transport, which lots of people currently do anyway. I think we have to keep that in perspective.

If an individual player doesn't want to play, that's their call entirely and a club can use a sub.

It may be that something will happen that causes a club to be relegated - they field a weakened team, they scratch a board, maybe another team agree a draw or two. It's not ideal of course - but it's only a game. And again, I think that perspective is worth keeping in mind.

This thing appears to be potentially unprecedented - or it could die off once summer arrives. We have no idea. For now, there seems no reason not to play games as scheduled and to keep an eye day by day. I don't see what the alternative is tbh.

Rule 5.3 is never implemented anyway. Rule 5.8 may well have to be given some leeway.

• Advertisement

I guess that tournaments can still be held if the numbers are limited to below 100 but will they be?

Checking internally with LCU - but from leagues point of view it would appear that league games should now be postponed until 29th March under the heading of reduced social interaction. The numbers in a match are small obviously and they could in theory still go ahead, but certainly any player/team not wanting to play gets priority.

The last round of the leagues is more than 100 people, but it's outside the timeline specified. So for now, I guess we have to hope these early measures stop the spread and we'll be back to normal in a few weeks. It's looking less likely, granted, but we will have to wait and see.

That's not formal LCU advice; just my own musings as a committee member.

I guess. Or just have people in rooms with less than 100 people per room?

Checking internally with LCU - but from leagues point of view it would appear that league games should now be postponed until 29th March under the heading of reduced social interaction. The numbers in a match are small obviously and they could in theory still go ahead, but certainly any player/team not wanting to play gets priority.

The last round of the leagues is more than 100 people, but it's outside the timeline specified. So for now, I guess we have to hope these early measures stop the spread and we'll be back to normal in a few weeks. It's looking less likely, granted, but we will have to wait and see.

That's not formal LCU advice; just my own musings as a committee member.
    Seems sensible and sound, but I do wonder if some people in and outside of chess might use this "social distancing" as an excuse. What about the courts? Hard to know I suppose. How long before someone holds up a bank claiming they have a bottle of Corona and will use it unless...

Courts = important
    Chess = not important

You're not suggesting the two should be governed by the same rules surely?

Courts = important
    Chess = not important
    Nah you have that the wrong way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I think the sensible thing to do is to postpone the matches. We can finish the league some week in the summer when the supermarkets have restocked with toilet paper.

mikhail wrote: »
    I think the sensible thing to do is to postpone the matches. We can finish the league some week in the summer when the supermarkets have restocked with toilet paper.

See how things are going over the next two weeks. Many people will tune out very soon and not be interested in playing after April. The last round is far enough away to also be able to assess things closer to the time.

Three of the Rathmines v Gonzaga A Armstrong games were supposed to be played tonight but we (Rathmines) requested a postponement as none of us wanted to play. Quite apart from the slight risk involved it just isn't easy to concentrate on chess at the moment.

• Advertisement

LCU have advised clubs that all games are postponed until 29th March at least, following Varadkar's statement earlier.

Advertisement