Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.C. 2014 - Construction Project

• 06-09-2013 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

Hi all. First time posting so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.

What I'm planning to make for my project is a crossbow (Medieval design). I've found a few nice pictures of crossbows and diagrams of the mechanism, but I deciding on what materials to make it out of, and what to change.

This is what I have in mind:
    -Stock/Body - Mahogany.
    -Saddle - Ash or (Mild?) steel.
    -Mechanism - Steel, wood, not sure (Decision?).
    -String - ???

I'll be heading down to Belleek Casle to have a look at some crossbows, so maybe some ideas there.

I would appreciate any help possible from anyone. I'd like to make it as soon as I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Not sure of the legality of making one since they are technically a fire arm. Id imagine it would have to have some kind of defect to prevent it from working such as having no trigger(or just having a dummy trigger). But im really not sure of that so dont just take my word on it.

They definitely need a firearm license and to obtain one is extremely difficult. Maybe if you contact your local garda station and ask about the legality of it?

Best of luck with the project though

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭NavanJames

Construction Studies for the Leaving Certificate ... I'd drop the crossbow idea if I were you. I agree with the previous poster; too many legal implications. You might consider a more traditional bow? It's a long time (over two decades) since I completed my project (it was a 1:50 model of a protestant church in my home town). From memory don't you need to demonstrate expertise in a couple of different facets of construction?

Construction of a take-down recurve would allow you to construct a riser and then construct a set of limbs for it (incorporating fibre glass, laminations, etc.). You could prepare a leather wrap for the grip area and also construct the string for the bow. Probably enough activities for the Construction Studies project.

You've a bow expert living in your area. Check out the following website:

http://www.flybowshop.com/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.flybowshop.com/

The owner of Flybow makes his own Yumi & Longbows. At the very least he could be a local source for any materials you could possibly need to construct a traditional bow. Please be aware that hardwood, fibre glass, glue, timber laminations, etc. do not come cheap.

Best of luck with the project (whatever it turns out to be), NJ.

Advertisement