Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do we expect from the new Minister for Housing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Jimi H

They definitely need to look at all of the empty properties. As an aside, I was speaking to a nursing home owner this week. He was saying the fair deal scheme prohibits the patient in the nursing home from renting his/her house and he reckoned there were thousands of empty houses because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Controlling private property is something that'd happen in Nazi Germany. It's unconstitutional.

Only a person with an extremely limited understanding of the constitution would trot such a thing out.

Many modern liberal democracies have limiting regulations on private property. No need to be silly.

"Property has its duties as well as its rights; to the neglect of those duties in times past is mainly to be ascribed that diseased state of society in which such crimes take their rise"

- Thomas Drummond

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭antimatterx

robinbird wrote: »
    Guess what I use my three bedrooms for.

The very same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

High rise didn't turn out bad because it was high rise, it turned out bad because if the vermin in it.

Introduce proper zero tolerance justice along with it.

High or low rise. It didn't turn out well. Why 30 storeys anyway? Massively expensive to build and maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The local council. Anyone caught with an unregistered one would have it removed forthwith, followed by a summons to the District Court.

I have seen lots of homes with keypad access units and they are not airbnb's or rented properties. I cant see how it would work to register every keypad with the local council - what about apartments blocks, car parks, offices etc. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If anybody wants to have a serious idea looked at then I think there should be a ban on the foreign ownership of property.

Of course there can be exceptions where a person has been an Irish person has been a tax payer Here in the previous ten years, Or a foreign person who has some connection like a employment orhas a Registered business employing people here etc.

If people want to invest in property then well and good, the economy needs investors, but it doesn’t need vulture funds buying up assets all over the place to flip them and make a quick quid

There is some wisdom to this idea although it probably could not be done for European nationals* due to EU rules. You could probably (carefully worded) do it for non EEA nationals but there would be so many loopholes it would be next to useless. Anecdotally, from people I know working in the industry, there has been a lot of Chinese and Middle Eastern money injected into residential property in Ireland via special purpose vehicles and funds over the last few years. I'm not sure even policy makers realise it.

*Denmark is the exception to this as they negotiated an exemption from EU rules on the foreign ownership of property. Only permanent residents (for EU citizens I think one must have been a taxpayer for X amount of years and you have to prove strong links to the country) and citizens may own property, with exceptions for German nationals in certain parts of the country for historical reasons.

I have seen lots of homes with keypad access units and they are not airbnb's or rented properties. I cant see how it would work to register every keypad with the local council - what about apartments blocks, car parks, offices etc. :(

No reason they can't be registered. When investigating suspected short term letting the first thing to look for would be an unauthorised keybox or keypad. I have yet to see a private home with keypad access through the front door. some posher houses are using them at the front gate but not to get in the door. i doubt if the insurance would allow it in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

High rise didn't turn out bad because it was high rise, it turned out bad because if the vermin in it..

Terrible way to speak about people.
    I dont know as much as others about the issues in some high rise developments but from what I read, the council and wider social conditions contributed in a large way to the problems faced by many residents.
    eg Ballymun and other flats complexes in dublin had high levels of unemployment, lack of maintenance by the council, lack of basic social amenities, poor bus services, drug problems etc etc.

It strikes me as strange that so many are calling for high rise developments again when they have nothing good to say about the ones that were demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

High rise didn't turn out bad because it was high rise, it turned out bad because if the vermin in it.
    Ballymun failed because the council stopped having money to fix problems in it.
    Jimi H wrote: »
    They definitely need to look at all of the empty properties. As an aside, I was speaking to a nursing home owner this week. He was saying the fair deal scheme prohibits the patient in the nursing home from renting his/her house and he reckoned there were thousands of empty houses because of this.
    The Fair Deal scheme gets X amount from the sale of the house. Who'd look after the tenants should it be rented? The OAP in the home who is there because they can't even look after themselves??????
    It strikes me as strange that so many are calling for high rise developments again when they have nothing good to say about the ones that were demolished.
    I call for private high rise developments that the people who own them pay annual costs to maintain the places. As I stated above, Ballymun failed as there was no money to maintain them, so they were left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Dav010 wrote: »
    You want an extra tax on people who don’t want strangers in their house? Have a think about that, an elderly widow/widower gets taxed because they don’t want to let the extra bedroom in their house.

No, it really doesn’t.

Guys,

I'm vehemently opposed to vacant property taxes.

I was being sarcastic.

The arguments that far left ultra loons use for vacant property taxes could just as easily be applied to vacant rooms.

Those with their hands constantly out will come looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yurt! wrote: »
    There is some wisdom to this idea although it probably could not be done for European nationals* due to EU rules. You could probably (carefully worded) do it for non EEA nationals but there would be so many loopholes it would be next to useless. Anecdotally, from people I know working in the industry, there has been a lot of Chinese and Middle Eastern money injected into residential property in Ireland via special purpose vehicles and funds over the last few years. I'm not sure even policy makers realise it.

*Denmark is the exception to this as they negotiated an exemption from EU rules on the foreign ownership of property. Only permanent residents (for EU citizens I think one must have been a taxpayer for X amount of years and you have to prove strong links to the country) and citizens may own property, with exceptions for German nationals in certain parts of the country for historical reasons.

Those special purpose vehicles as far as I’m aware are just another word for tax avoidance schemes, they are unnecessary as the housing market doesn’t need that kind of investment and they just go to increase the wealth of funds mainly.

London has a huge problem with Russians buying and not living in properties. We should make it a lot harder for people who have no civic or taxation ties to Ireland to buy property, and investment should only be allowed by funds that are based here, at least that provides jobs on the other side.

After that an exemption should be given for the value of a principle private residence property that is left to family members in wills. The idea that you inherent the family home and have to sell it to satisfy revenue demands is disgusting. Family homes are bought and paid for out of taxed income over a persons lifetime. Maybe a cap Of 700-800k should be on it to stop wealthy fiddling the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Introduce proper zero tolerance justice along with it.

its why FG basically gave cluid the mandate to house people, they had one thing the government couldn't have , a 'no criminal convictions' clause. It seriously helps clean up some issues and keeps the worst of the worst out.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Jimi H

the_syco wrote: »
    The Fair Deal scheme gets X amount from the sale of the house. Who'd look after the tenants should it be rented? The OAP in the home who is there because they can't even look after themselves??????

It seems the average time an OAP is in care under fair deal is around 3 years. During that time, a lot of the houses remain vacant if not occupied by a relative. There may be cases where a relative has enduring power of attorney or ward of court orders but they would be unable to rent out the property during this time under fair deal. I don’t think vacancy is the best solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Controlling private property is something that'd happen in Nazi Germany. It's unconstitutional.

Weren’t you on about CPO’ing private property in car parks for bicycle parking the other day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Does anyone know why the shared ownership and affordable housing stopped?

I bought my first home years ago on the affordable housing scheme. As a single applicant on my salary I would never have been able to afford to buy otherwise. I know 2 other people who bought the same way. Both are still in their homes.

At the time I got my mortgage through the council. I believe it changed then and applicants applied through their bank of choice.
    But I felt it was a great way for those on low incomes to actually be able to buy. There was a hefty clawback though to the council if you sold but at the time those who were willing to come off the council housing list and buy through these schemes were able to avail of a much lower clawback %.

I would really like to see better options to buy for those who want too, be they single people, families/couples on low incomes. We should be trying to get people off the housing lists imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

2nd refusal of State funded housing should kick you off the list.

I think it is 3 now, maybe I am wrong, but that is unreal. But I suppose I will be told they need to be near their mammies or their school. That is a luxury denied many who paddle their own canoe and buy/rent themselves. And fund all this nonsense.

Homeless my foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ispeakdatruth

I’d like to see the minister balance the landlord/tenant relationship.
    Notice periods should be reduced, and Any non paying tenants should experience efficient evictions.

I think an education program for the general public that explains that not everyone will be in a position to own a house.
    Pay attention in school, get a job, and work hard are all keys to home ownership. This should be drilled into the youth.

If these things are achieved, I think this minister will be deemed a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Notice periods should be reduced, and Any non paying tenants should experience efficient evictions.

I think an education program for the general public that explains that not everyone will be in a position to own a house.
    Pay attention in school, get a job, and work hard are all keys to home ownership. This should be drilled into the youth.

Realistically, his focus will be on the delivery of a gross number of new housing units. There will not be any relief for landlords or a rebalancing of rights; there might be the odd party contribution from that area but realistically any relief for landlords would lose 10 votes for every one generated.

Two offers or you are gone off the list.

Those buying off their own bat can only buy where they can afford.

I hope FF will take cognisance of the fact that those who contribute have no voice anymore as to where their taxes are going. But I suspect they won't, just like the previous Gov.

Unfortunately many tenants (not all) know they cannot be evicted without the LL having to take them to court and engage the Sheriff eventually. I know it doesn't always come to that, but those in the know, know this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

How would that work? who do you think the external keybox/keypad access products should be registered with?

Don't security alarms need some sort of certification, something similar

More Communist Russia than Nazi Germany, as long as you weren't Jewish you could own what you wanted, didn't Hitler sell the VW Beetle as some sort of pyramid scheme?

If houses are costing 10 to 15 times median wages that's Not going to happen, if they limit mortgage limits to 3 or 4 times single wage houses will no longer be a commodity,
    if we consider housing as a need and can provide basic housing at sensible prices ,make it more like buying a fridge , introduce price controls if necessary, imagine the disposable income available if accommodation was only 10 to 15% of income

High or low rise. It didn't turn out well. Why 30 storeys anyway? Massively expensive to build and maintain.

Fire hazard as well

No reason they can't be registered. When investigating suspected short term letting the first thing to look for would be an unauthorised keybox or keypad. I have yet to see a private home with keypad access through the front door. some posher houses are using them at the front gate but not to get in the door. i doubt if the insurance would allow it in any case.

Feck that, none of the councils business how I choose to access my home. No way would I register anything of the sort with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Never going to happen. More than likely 'fix' things in favor of tenants and then wonder why more landlords are leaving the market. It'll only change in favor of the landlords when it's all REITs.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Realistically, his focus will be on the delivery of a gross number of new housing units. There will not be any relief for landlords or a rebalancing of rights; there might be the odd party contribution from that area but realistically any relief for landlords would lose 10 votes for every one generated.

Its a sad reality that you are correct, landlords are considered lower than criminals in Ireland by a certain set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

He will probably be forced to wind up the Strategic Housing Development scheme.
    Quite a lot of approvals are being challenged in the high court & either being pushed back to planning or quashed completely..
    In the case of the Castleknock one at Bradys, the ABP inspector actually recommended against it but the board approved it anyway. the permission was quashed.

The programme is being challenged by Dermot Desmonds wife Pat Desmond as being undemocratic.
    It takes agency and control of an area from the area residents & doesnt pay much heed to the long term local area plans, just caring about number of beds & to challenge it people need to spend a lot of money on legal, meaning control of ones area is now only available to those who can afford it.

Feck that, none of the councils business how I choose to access my home. No way would I register anything of the sort with them.

It can be made the councils business. The councils already get involved in access by motor vehicle to the public roads.

• Advertisement

theres about 40 homes in Dublin that I've been involved with that have keypad, fob or fingerprint access for the front door. Its more common than you think, keys are old and dead.

Advertisement