Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coastguard winchman.

• 14-11-2013 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

How does one become a winchman with the coastguard? How often and for how many winchmen do they recruit? What does the recruitment campaign involve? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Anyone???!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

As far as I know, they are selected from applications from existing PHECC accredited Paramedics. There is no 'open' recruitment.

I do stand open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭sjb25

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    As far as I know, they are selected from applications from existing PHECC accredited Paramedics. There is no 'open' recruitment.

I do stand open to correction though.

Last recruitment you had to be a phecc registered paramedic anyway

Thanks for the reply peeps. Okay so once you are a phecc paramedic how often do they recruit and whats the process? I've never seen it advertised? It's a job I'd be very interested in and would love to find out more about. Anyone know about shifts they work? Where are they based in dublin/Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

bono_v wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply peeps. Okay so once you are a phecc paramedic how often do they recruit and whats the process? I've never seen it advertised? It's a job I'd be very interested in and would love to find out more about. Anyone know about shifts they work? Where are they based in dublin/Leinster?

At the moment a 24hr shift roster is in operation. Rescue 116 is based at Dublin airport. As mentioned PHECC paramedic is minimum requirement, guys are usually recruited from the ambulance and fire service but not always. There is a selection process which was covered on a previous RTE rescue programme, can't remember which one.

People send in their CV's, when a vacancy becomes available suitable candidates are informed.

• Advertisement

Klunk001 wrote: »
    At the moment a 24hr shift roster is in operation. Rescue 116 is based at Dublin airport. As mentioned PHECC paramedic is minimum requirement, guys are usually recruited from the ambulance and fire service but not always. There is a selection process which was covered on a previous RTE rescue programme, can't remember which one.

People send in their CV's, when a vacancy becomes available suitable candidates are informed.

Thanks klunk.must look further into this. Must have a look for that programme so. You've no idea hos often they recruit do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

bono_v wrote: »
    Thanks klunk.must look further into this. Must have a look for that programme so. You've no idea hos often they recruit do you?

bono, no set times really. You are looking at around 9 winch crew per base. Guys retire or move on to other jobs, when slots become available people who have put in for a position are informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Baby S 85

Just after finding this thread, I'm on the panel to be trained as a paramedic with the nas/hse, hopefully be starting this year, I've been doing some research on where I could use the skills I will require, I'm very interested in the search and rescue units of the coast guard and the role of a winchman, any new information on the process would be greatly appreciated, selection/training how a person could prepare before hand with courses applicable to the position.

Advertisement