Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Kevin! wrote: »
    Was tempted to cancel my contract but that would take 31 days :( should there be another offer after this? Don't really want to be stuck left without sky

That means they won't turn off your 'old Sky' for 31 days,sign up under a new name then cancel the old one a day or so later....simples.Be careful though,as they scrutinise names,addresses,bank details etc to see if there's any similarities with existing accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

padocon wrote: »
    Are they not catching on to this he must have told me 4 times that no one in the household could sign up in the next 12 months.

Scare tactics.

Remember these boys are on commission.

If all else fails get on to a supervisor and let loose. And i mean let loose.

Imagine if you just moved into a house and you where refused a basic service because of the previous tenant. Get a supervisor and tear them a new one. Use new name, account and mobile phone number as if it gets to that stage then they will look for ammunition to use against you.

Sure if someone just moved house that means the next tenant isnt allowed Sky. Complete and utter nonsense. In the fine lines it says a member of your family cant resignup. A new tenant is not your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Your name in Gaelige is another suggestion.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Your name in Gaelige is another suggestion.
    :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

davenewt wrote: »
    Who knows! Good thing is I finally got a result after a few more calls yesterday. Perseverance is the key!
    • Called Sky Ireland. Was told they could do nothing (again) and that a supervisor (who wasn't available again) would call me back. Picked up a rather rude, curt voicemail later to say "that offer isn't available to you, sorry".
    • Called Complaints. Got through to a girl in Scotland, she put me on hold and spoke to someone in Ireland and said someone would be calling me back in 10 mins to tell me about the offers I could have (up to now I'd consistently been told there were NO offers open to me). Ok, who knows... so I waited... but no call came.
    • At the end of the day I refused to go to the bar defeated, and rang back. Girl I spoke to told me to call back again and go through the menu system to the "returning to Sky" department (even though I'd not actually left, because my account was pending cancellation).
    • Got through to a lovely lady, briefly described all of the calls I'd made, explained I just wanted some kind of offer and I would upgrade rather than leave.

She told me she might be able to get me 9 months half price but put me on hold, came back and offered me... 12 months half price for my whole package including the addition of Sky Sports, and told me to ring another number to upgrade to a new HD box for a €30 one-off setup fee and the €15/month... which I did.

And she gave me a credit on my account to cover my next 2 bills.

Finally. No thanks to most Sky call-centre reps (who were blunt, dispassionate and seemed incapable of saying anything that wasn't written in a call script), but sincere thanks to the one lady who eventually listened and provided a little bit of delight by offering me a better deal than expected.

I hope everyone else here gets a good deal, however long you have to hold out for it!

Well done on getting it finally but I do want to add something. In general when someone from england or Ireland calls sky, they will more than likely be talking to an outsource firm who work for sky. The scottish call centre is definitely "Real" sky, if you talk to someone Irish (I am open to correction on this) or someone from the north you are talking to someone who has restricted powers in dealing with customers. All the outsource people can do is place orders for engineers, orders for PPV etc, and tech support. I think sales of hardware might have been added but that is about it.

When they say they can't do anything for you, they are not lying. When it seems they are reading from a script, it is because they are and if they don't they get sacked. So you have the company they work for forcing them through listening in on calls to read that script, then customers getting irate they are reading from a script. Why do you think it is that people who have been successful have talked to someone else, getting a call from Scotland etc.

Bear that in mind when dealing with them

Media999 wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Ther are saying if you give your name in Irish it might also work as the name can appear very different to its english counterpart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Daithi McNulty

I want to take advantage of this deal as a 1st time Sky customer(Does having it 20 years ago count?)

I'm a UPC MMDS customer for a number of years and paying top dollar for a service that's not equal to cable customers.

How do i proceed with cancelling UPC?
    Send a written letter and request Sky installation on the date my 30 days notice is up?

I'll be putting the Sky+ box in the living room but i would like 2 additional cables run in to this room and 1 more cable to another room to connect to freesat box's.That's 5 cables and an octo lnb needed for them.
    Would i be asking too much of the Sky installer here?
    I don't mind paying a bit extra.
    Would i have to say i want a non-standard installation on the phone when ordering?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

whats the minimum contract with this when you take the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I want to take advantage of this deal as a 1st time Sky customer(Does having it 20 years ago count?)

I'm a UPC MMDS customer for a number of years and paying top dollar for a service that's not equal to cable customers.

How do i proceed with cancelling UPC?
    Send a written letter and request Sky installation on the date my 30 days notice is up?

I'll be putting the Sky+ box in the living room but i would like 2 additional cables run in to this room and 1 more cable to another room to connect to freesat box's.That's 5 cables and an octo lnb needed for them.
    Would i be asking too much of the Sky installer here?
    I don't mind paying a bit extra.
    Would i have to say i want a non-standard installation on the phone when ordering?

You need to give UPC 30 days notice,order your Sky half way through the cancellation period.

The installer will contact you to confirm the install date & time,tell him what you need & agree a price for the extra work before he arrives.Don't tell Sky about a non standard install as they might not give the offer you want.

whats the minimum contract with this when you take the deal

12.50 a month basic entertainment stations.

Check there site for list

GAAman wrote: »
    Well done on getting it finally but I do want to add something. In general when someone from england or Ireland calls sky, they will more than likely be talking to an outsource firm who work for sky. The scottish call centre is definitely "Real" sky, if you talk to someone Irish (I am open to correction on this) or someone from the north you are talking to someone who has restricted powers in dealing with customers. All the outsource people can do is place orders for engineers, orders for PPV etc, and tech support. I think sales of hardware might have been added but that is about it.

When they say they can't do anything for you, they are not lying. When it seems they are reading from a script, it is because they are and if they don't they get sacked. So you have the company they work for forcing them through listening in on calls to read that script, then customers getting irate they are reading from a script. Why do you think it is that people who have been successful have talked to someone else, getting a call from Scotland etc.

Bear that in mind when dealing with them

Kind of.

It may be a different department altogether rather than just the same job.

They seem to have a second level of cancellations that call people back as the cancel order is processed.

i.e you ring cancellations in Ireland. They fail to keep you and you have account cancelled. this puts you in a queue for a callback / offer from second level cancellations in Scotland.

I would reckon that Scotland have more power rather than Ireland having no power at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Has anyone used the fat cheese cash back offer mentioned in the op on this and if so did it work? Thinking of ringing up tomorrow

Could people fill this in please?

https://interest.sky.com/broadband/

Might get us some good offers when the broadband comes out.

Engineer that came to house said sky broadband was meant to go live on the 6th September but was delayed. Should be here in the next couple of months. Would be nice to get that half price aswell.

Kind of.

It may be a different department altogether rather than just the same job.

They seem to have a second level of cancellations that call people back as the cancel order is processed.

i.e you ring cancellations in Ireland. They fail to keep you and you have account cancelled. this puts you in a queue for a callback / offer from second level cancellations in Scotland.

I would reckon that Scotland have more power rather than Ireland having no power at all.

I used to work for them, if the cork centre is outsourced they have no real power. The only real thing we could do was to action a free service call but that was because of a glitch in the system.

I worked for an outsource company who had sky as a client. The most we could do was as said above and in my other post, cancellations are not done by outsourced companies. In fact sky do not allow you access to their actual CMS, you get a simpler version of it on your computer and all you can do is add notes to the customer account ("Cust got irate and terminated call")

You are correct though in that all cancellations go through two departments before the customer is contacted or cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Re this special half price offer.
    Anyone know the answer to these Q.

At the end of contract, if you cancel sky. Will the sky + box be able to pick up free sat hd, and will the play pause record functions work for free sat.

If you have Multi room on this offer - is there a extra once off charge for fitting?

Has anyone managed to get multi room discounted.

ODriscoll wrote: »
    Re this special half price offer.
    Anyone know the answer to these Q.

At the end of contract, if you cancel sky. Will the sky + box be able to pick up free sat hd, and will the play pause record functions work for free sat.

Recording stops. Not sure about freesat HD

If you have Multi room on this offer - is there a extra once off charge for fitting?

Do you have multiroom already or are you getting the whole lot fitted. i.e new cables the lot.

Has anyone managed to get multi room discounted.

No discounts on Multiroom with the offer but some people have haggled it as part of not cancelling.

answered

I used to work for them, if the cork centre is outsourced they have no real power. The only real thing we could do was to action a free service call but that was because of a glitch in the system.

I worked for an outsource company who had sky as a client. The most we could do was as said above and in my other post, cancellations are not done by outsourced companies. In fact sky do not allow you access to their actual CMS, you get a simpler version of it on your computer and all you can do is add notes to the customer account ("Cust got irate and terminated call")

You are correct though in that all cancellations go through two departments before the customer is contacted or cancelled.

How exactly do they cross reference accounts?

If someone calls in as a new customer what do they cross reference to see if they already had account?

Also its good that you confirmed the two tier system. So its actually process to let people cancel then a second level cancellations department give them a callback with the best offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kumar_aq

I cancelled my sky connection 2 years ago. Would I be considered as a new customer? and will I be eligible for this offer? Any experiences in this regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

kumar_aq wrote: »
    I cancelled my sky connection 2 years ago. Would I be considered as a new customer? and will I be eligible for this offer? Any experiences in this regard?
    If I remember correctly, once you have been away from sky over 12 months your classed as a new customer.
    My neighbour switch to his wife's name and then reverted back to his own name after that 12 months contract was up

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kumar_aq wrote: »
    Apparently if you or anyone else at the same address have not been a customer for more than the last 12 months then you should qualify as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Thanks again to the OP.

Just got Sky installed today in the new house. All half price. Delighted.

• Advertisement

Is there any extra free channels that you can add to the Irish sky box manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

just tried to order it there was told it didnt exist ordered online on the 5th then rang up after seeing this got told it would be applied. recieved card today and rang up to organise installation, asked about offer and was told it didnt exist!!! have said i will email them flyer and she said theres nothing she can do as the offer dosent exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

I just received the new sky card. Installation booked for Thursday
    Thanks to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

caspa307 wrote: »
    just tried to order it there was told it didnt exsist

Sky does exist Im looking at it right now..................or am I?

Sky installer that called to me was dead on. had a good chat with him.

He said if you are onto cork office and they say it doezs not exist, ask to speak to a supervisor. Or figure out the times you get put through to Scottish offices and call then.

He said the offer is active for months now and that there is always a very similar offer on going. He is also dropping me off an old sky box in the morning for the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Here is a good tip for those who dont have an active phoneline, tell them that you do and when the installer calls around tell him its upstairs and he wont bother using it, it will save you €37.50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Got adeal as a current customer
    Rang up as my bill was due to go up after being registered in my mrs name last year for a different offer
    All channels except movies €52
    Hd €10
    Multiroom €10
    He wanted 15 for each of the above but settled for €10
    Total €50 next month then €72 on a 12month deal that I can come out of anytime I like if something else comes along

How exactly do they cross reference accounts?

If someone calls in as a new customer what do they cross reference to see if they already had account?

Also its good that you confirmed the two tier system. So its actually process to let people cancel then a second level cancellations department give them a callback with the best offers.

It wont be done by the outsourced people, if you are calling with general customer enquires or tech support that will more than likely be outsource. If you are wanting to join sky or something like that it will be actually sky you are dealing with "Hang on I will just pop you through to the relevant department"

Regarding the cancellation two tier thing, just want to clarify that just because you threaten to cancel does not mean they will throw offers at you to stay with them, they base that on how long you been a customer, if you have been prompt with payments etc I have heard of people threatening to cancel and sky saying "Right fair enough all the best!" :D

Is there any extra free channels that you can add to the Irish sky box manually?

itv is all really. Load of foreign crap after that.

• Advertisement

Regarding the cancellation two tier thing, just want to clarify that just because you threaten to cancel does not mean they will throw offers at you to stay with them, they base that on how long you been a customer, if you have been prompt with payments etc I have heard of people threatening to cancel and sky saying "Right fair enough all the best!" :D

// Rings back in partners name and gets 50% off. :pac:

Wanting to lose a customer happens. But it rarely happens. Somebody being a complete prick and shouting at cancellations is usually the type that they want gone. Also people who constantly call in with stupid problems that they caused themselves. Pissed off a Supervisor etc..

Advertisement