Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Hi all

What a fecker of a day, bad cravings today:confused:. quess it must be because the weekend is here. Would kill for a fag this morning. but i am not giving in. I have no intension of going through all this crap again after getting this far.
    Its hard to believe that a little white thing with lots of brown bits in it has such a hold on us and has taken over our lives, Well it can f off, and hopefully for not much longer.

day 9 tomorrow so I am off hillwalking for the day.:)

Best of luck guys

dolliemix wrote: »
    Well done everyone who has made it to Week 2! :)

You'll notice people telling you in the next few weeks that your skin looks great and your eyes are brighter! Look forward to that....

Thanks Dolliemix for all ur support

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭havana

Hi all. Can I join in? Had my last smoke late Thursday night do 2 days now. Luckily :-) I've been pretty unwell since Thursday night so haven't been able to get out to buy any cigs even though I have been tempted to drag myself.

I've done this before so I know I can do it. Was off them for 8 years!!

My biggest fear is going away in a couple of weeks. Keep thinking of those times when I really enjoy a cig. But hopefully by then that will have passed. I'd really love to do this this time!! Also the other half smokes. But he is away working at the moment and will be gone a couple of weeks so that should help.

Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noboc

Welcome.. o my god 8 years,I am only of them 8 days today,and today is the 1st day i found so hard,was even going to buy a pack and have a seaky 1 but then i said i was only fooling myself and no one else.would loved to have one but again as other poster said the thought of going thr all this again has stopped,i honestly dont want to be doing this again,I honestly cant believe you were of them for 8 years, if you dont mind me asking,WHY did you start again.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Feownah wrote: »
    Robla I hear ya!

I am on Day 5. And I don't know whether it is a cold that has me feeling physically awful or giving up the ciggies.

My head is all fuzzy / lightheaded, is that normal?
    My sinuses are at me
    I'm cranky
    I'm developing a luverly cough

When will I start to feel better , cos i feel like crap now :)

Hey there - feel just like you. Day 6 for me now and hit with flu too all week......so chesty I really havn't felt like a ciggie but hope as flu fades that longing to smoke will too.

Already noticed smell from other smokers ---- so keeping that in mind that I smelt just like them helps. Need to get walking when up to it though cause I am so unfit and breathless at the least little thing and kids new Kinect really brought that home to me at Christmas.....I just wasnt able for it.

Anyway Onward & Upwards and Best of Luck everyone !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

So Day 7 is nearly over and so is my first week :D

Agree with Molly 77 that the weekend is much harder than during the week. My key has been to keep myself busy which helps me focus on things other than cravings. I also find it helps if I remind myself that this is all in my head, all the nicotine is now gone so all cravings are purely imaginary :p

Glad to hear everyone else is still doing well
    SnoozyS

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

How was the weekend for you guys? Did you go out or stay in? I went out on my first weekend off the smokes and drank.

It was tough going but only one of my mates smoked and the rest didn't so it made it bearable in a way.

It gets easier after that. During the week was grand as I could easily keep myself occupied with work etc. The weekend is a massive challenge especially that first one so hopefully some of you didn't fall on the first hurdle.

I've noticed significant changes waking up of a Saturday or Sunday morning after a few drinks without smoking.

No phlegm, my chest doesn't feel like it's about to explode and my bedsheets don't smell of horrible smoke either which is great.

One day at a time lads and lassies. A brand new week starts tomorrow. It gets easier with each passing week. I'm off 10 weeks tomorrow and can't wait.

I recommend you buy a small treat for yourselves with the money you've saved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done everybody. The first weekend is a really big challenge.

Welcome Noboc and 1966

I second everything That Guy says about the wonderful feeling waking up in the morning after the night before as a non-smoker. It makes all the occasions where you felt so tempted and didn't give in worthwhile.

Enjoy your Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Hi Dollmix

Great to get the support from someone like yourself who has quit over a year now
    Sitting on the couch with a roaring fire on as I send this reply. Thinking how lucky I am to be off the cigs since the new year. Went down to my local newsagent for the first time since Christmas. Felt great not having to make a beeline for the counter for my Benson and Hedges. I used arrive first thing in the morning and often back again just before closing time.

Feeling great and thank God have never doubted my decision- maybe it the Champix and all the support I'm getting from all your posts-because willpower I do not have in abundance .

Going back to work tomorrow after a quick visit to the doctor . Looking forward to getting back to normality again.

Thanks to all and keep it up and rememberr not a puff.

Take care

;););););););););)
    Good l

havana wrote: »
    Hi all. Can I join in? Had my last smoke late Thursday night do 2 days now. Luckily :-) I've been pretty unwell since Thursday night so haven't been able to get out to buy any cigs even though I have been tempted to drag myself.

My biggest fear is going away in a couple of weeks. Keep thinking of those times when I really enjoy a cig. But hopefully by then that will have passed. I'd really love to do this this time!! Also the other half smokes. But he is away working at the moment and will be gone a couple of weeks so that should help.

Best of luck everyone.

Welcome Havana and fairplay to you for starting again. I know like me you know the trigger which led to your lapse and will have learnt from the experience .
    At least now you know you can do it - you did it before and gave your lungs eight years of a break from that filth. I suppose what is to be learned for all of us who have given up is that the lapse no matter for what reason was caused by the next cigarette we smoke and not the trigger we identify.
    As some one told me once when I asked them how long they had given up for “Its not how long I’m off them its how near I am to the next one” He said” be always on your guard You taught your subconscious mind that cigs were your crutch in times of need and it never forgets .”
    This person is off them 20 years and was off them 15 when we first had this conversation. Sound advise it proved to be in my case when I took my off the ball and fell into the trap again.
    When I lapsed after 15 months the same thing happened I puffed and was back to square one . Worst of all my perceived reason for going back on them- hadn’t gone away with my return to the crutch. So for the next 15 month I puffed and puffed feeling more disillusioned by the day
    Thank God this is my most determined effort since then . With the help of my doctor ,champex tablets and your regular postings and my past experiences I am making good progress.
    So keep it up everyone , We are all rooting for each other. No matter how we approach it we have a common goal to be free of this filth forever.
    Have a good week
    ;);););););););)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

Shinshin14 wrote: »
    We are all rooting for each other.

So true Shinshin, and it's a real help.

Good luck all with Monday and the week ahead.....

Another day over with.

The weekend has definately been harder than the week days but managed to avoid major temptation by keeping a low profile, going running and then re-joining the gym :) Productive use of my money saved from not smoking...yay

So here's to another week smoke free

SnoozyS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 robla

How was the weekend for all..... A smokeless one by the looks of things & managed to get through myself.... though at times was biting the tea-towel again !! to try & prevent myself from having just that little one..... just that little one that would help me through !!! Surely just one would not have me smoking again..... Yes those thoughts entered my head all weekend...... But I resisited....

I hope that it was a sucessfull weekend for all of you also.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 stella09

hey guys/gals!!

well its kinda day 1 and a half.... i havent smoked a ciggie since 5pm yesterday! i smoked my last one, walked to shop with me lil man and was in 2 minds to jus buy one last pack n start from tues!

Im 25 been smokin constant from the age of 15 and i WAS smoking 20 a day easily.... :eek: I have tried before twice, but this time im feelin alot better about it!

My worst times are first thing in d mornin, i actually had a breakfast this mornin & in the car on way to work!! but this mornin felt good, iv no patches no nada!! i have patches there but jus wanted to see! WELL DONE to all of yous for gettin into week 2... wayhay!!!:D:D:D keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 robla

Stella !!! You many many many congrats on taking the first step !! You can do this !....

Just the week in & it is still tough BUT gets easier bit by bit ! so try your best to get through this week..... You can do it !

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

Just wanted to say well done to everyone who has made it to Day 10 off the smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

stella09 wrote: »
    hey guys/gals!!

well its kinda day 1 and a half.... i havent smoked a ciggie since 5pm yesterday! i smoked my last one, walked to shop with me lil man and was in 2 minds to jus buy one last pack n start from tues!

Im 25 been smokin constant from the age of 15 and i WAS smoking 20 a day easily.... :eek: I have tried before twice, but this time im feelin alot better about it!

My worst times are first thing in d mornin, i actually had a breakfast this mornin & in the car on way to work!! but this mornin felt good, iv no patches no nada!! i have patches there but jus wanted to see! WELL DONE to all of yous for gettin into week 2... wayhay!!!:D:D:D keep up the good work!

Hey Stella. I'm off just over two months now. No patches or anything.

I assure you, the first three days are hell BUT just keep yourself busy. Cravings last 15 minutes at a time and then they're gone. Soon they'll just disappear altogether.

I was the same as you in the mornings. The key is to identify what makes you smoke and at what specific time of the day.

By identifying your "triggers" you can change your routine. For me, in the morning, I used to always just get up and smoke with a cup of coffee.

So for the first week and a half I cut out the coffee and instead of getting straight up, I'd have a shower, grab some breakfast and by that time it was time for work.

In work was generally ok. I'd enough to keep myself occupied anyway. At home though was a bit tough so I did anything to keep myself busy. Did a few washes, played the Playstation etc. It works. When you have a distraction it really does help.

After dinner I'd usually have tea/coffee and a smoke but I changed that around and usually just have a herbal tea or something like that to try something different and get out of my usual habit.

Gradually I got used to drinking coffee/alcohol without the urge for a cigarette.

One day at a time and well done on taking the first step. That goes for everyone else too.

Don't think about the long term. Think of it as one day at a time. Stay strong. Seriously, it can be done.

I did/am doing it cold turkey.

G'luck.

Hi all
    Day 10
    well weekend over thank God, touch and go for me. I found it very very hard and did,nt even go out, Went back Hillwalking yesterday , great day aroung 14 miles. I did noitice a big improvement in my breathing.
    Well done everyone cause this is soooooooooooo hard to give up these EVIL yokes :) Aw when does it get better, hopefully soon because i will crack up :rolleyes::):):):):):):):):):):):)

Best of luck tomorrow

Evening Comrades

- day 8 for me and all going OK - tbh I think the cold that I picked up last week really gave me a good kick start cause I was soooo chesty I couldnt even think about smoking.

anyway ---- the revised Alan Carr book was delivered today and have only started to read the introduction but what stood out for me in the first few chapters was his reference to people thinking that they won't be able to enjoy a night out or a social event. that just jumped off the page for me and I really related to that so I cant wait to see what he has to say about that - cause thats where my real temptations lie & I havnt been out since i quit !!

on the progress side however, my sense of smell is definitely more acute even after such a short length of time & this morning driving to work I didnt even think about my morning ritual ciggieS

:)

molly77 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Day 10
    well weekend over thank God, touch and go for me. I found it very very hard and did,nt even go out, Went back Hillwalking yesterday , great day aroung 14 miles. I did noitice a big improvement in my breathing.
    Well done everyone cause this is soooooooooooo hard to give up these EVIL yokes :) Aw when does it get better, hopefully soon because i will crack up :rolleyes::):):):):):):):):):):):)

Best of luck tomorrow
    Well done Molly . You are going through the mill and but have come out the otherside. Great will power - fair dues to you . Glad you enjoyed the hillwalking.14 miles is a good hike and lovely bright although cold weather. You will be fit for the London Olympics if you keep this up!

Wasn't allowed back to worktoday as sweating too much . Have been told that I can go back on Thursday, Was disappointed so set myself a challenge, Went to see a smoking mate of mine to see how I would cope on the way home from the doctors. Turned on there was lots of people smoking in the house except for two .

Sat there amoung the fog of smoke and chemicals for about 2 hours and never once was I tempted to reach out for one. Got a good bit of slagging on my recent attempt due to past failures but dealth with it well. Funny I found myself looking at the boxes of cigarettes in circulation about 12 in all and doing a mental caculation of the combined cost -going up in smoke . Felt pleased with myself on my return and felt confident in that I had passed my first real test even though I was disappointed over not getting back to work. Up to this my biggest fear
    was that when I would venture outside the incubator I wouldnt be able to cope .

Good luck to the new recruit keep it up(Sorry I've forgotten your name)You are only smoking 10 years and only 25. Don't be like me and find yourself still quitting after 35 years smoking. Beleive me when I saw if you stay smoking for 35 years you will still want to quit then . Get outof the trap now while you are young and have your whole life to live and enjoy .
    Anyway onwards to day 11 - never saw a fortnight to go so slow!

Goodluck to everyone keep going .

• Advertisement

molly77 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Day 10
    I did noitice a big improvement in my breathing.

Best of luck tomorrow

I'm so glad to hear someone else say that they can feel it in their breathing already. I was beginning to think that it was all in my head :o Was out running on satruday morning and blitzed a few hills which I would have struggled on a few months back!

Congrats to all who reached their double figures today....it'll be me tomorrow :)

And a big THANKS once again to ye all for keeping me motivated and giving me a boost when needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cailindeas25

Keep up the great work guys!!!
    I've been keeping a close eye on this thread and I think you're are all doing a fantastic job :):):)
    I'm on around week fourteen and from what I can remember the first week was the most difficult so ye're over the hardest part now woohoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Keep it up everyone, ye're doing great!
    I gave up last July, still off them. I live a smoke free life now, and ive never felt better :)

Keep going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

So delighted for you all - keep up the great work and stay off the EVIL auld fags. It does get easier.
    Molly77 and Snoozys: I found my breathing better within days too but got a tingling too which I was concerned about and was told it was to do with more oxigen (the correct amount) in my body. Small changes in my body like these scared the bejaysus out of me and bolstered me to stay away from the fags. Over 6 months now, so it worked.
    Keep reminding yourself of the way YOUR body should be without the fags. Body is a temple and all that.......

Keep up the good work everyone and be proud of yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 stella09

em sorry everyone but i have to ask this does anyone else feel like a guilty feelin cos your never gonna smoke again!
    and a panicked feeling that im never gonna light another one! what the hell ?????? :confused: I AM GOIN MENTAL :eek:

well done to everyone yer doin all so well!!! Go on the non smokers!!! :D:D

this thread really does help the lil pangs!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

Keep up the good work all!!

I'm off the dreaded cigarettes since 31 Oct 2010.
    I had always wanted to give them up but never could find the right time to do it. That was until I found out that my favourite uncle had lung cancer and faces an uncertain future. He is 45 and has a 4 yr old daughter. That day was the last day I smoked.
    It hasn't always been easy changing my habits. The worst had to be over Christmas when having a few drinks and going out with my girls who all smoke. I was left inside while they all went outside!

But the positive sides of not smoking is what's keeping me going. I'm sure all of you have noticed that your clothes and hair don't stink of smoke anymore! Breathing is easier and my breath and fingers don't smell of stale cigarettes! And of course, every day off the cigs reduces the future risk of lung cancer and other health issues.

I am determined to stay off them and the above reasons come into my head when I feel like I want one. It's not worth it.
    I know not all people who smoke develop cancer or serious health issues, but I am not going to take that chance!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Im on day 8 now, no patches this time round. Not too bad at all, a little edgy and cant stop salivating for some reason but all in all its been ok

Thanks Shinshin, I am hanging in there, your going great. One day at a time.
    Stella I feel de same as you. i am thinking of when i go on holidays what will i do without de fags. Stupid hey.
    I dont know how i have lasted this long, its a miracle. I have,nt came to the point yet where I can say i hate FAGS.

Morning time is a killer for me, A lot of my day is thinking about them. hate it.
    Day 12 wish it was day 120 haha
    Best of luck everyone keep it going, we will beat this together

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Mucho respect to those of you who have gone "cold turkey"!

Have given up before, for long periods, once lasted 2 years. Can't believe my stupidity :mad:

Using nicotene replacement as this worked well for me in the past. Gums mainly, and an inhalator for after meals, as this is whn I enjoyed the ritual of sparking up the most. think the gums work better for me though. First time I used the inhalator I kept puffing out "smoke" :rolleyes:! I looked a right fool.

Focussing on the positives:
    Health
    More money in my pocket
    I won't stink
    I'll be able to go to different coffee shops, instead of the one I went to all the time with the so-so coffee just because of its smoking area.

Keep it up folks!

• Advertisement

Hi all - another day nearly over & no temptations or slip ups to report.

Just back from Tesco and was looking for stuff when girl carrying beautiful little baby stood beside me looking for whatever and the first thing I noticed was the smell of fags off her
    God I thought to myself I would never have noticed that before and no doubt I probably smelt just the same / worse. Only reporting this observation cause these little things I think will/could keep me going !!

Good luck.

Advertisement