Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I love charity shops. Only thing is, I can't seem to find one that isn't full of granny clothes. I usually go in meaning to find the bestest cheap dress ever, but walk out with about 10 books. -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Speaking of charity shops, what's the general consensus with them in the city? I know down here (wouthwest) buying second hand stuff is embarrassing and something to be ashamed of :rolleyes:

Are people more open minded in the city, or is it just each to their own?

Areas where that way of thinking still exists tend to be goldmines for bargain hunters. I always try to get into rural charity shops, it's where the real bargains are to be found. But, like charity shops everywhere it's all bout going in there frequently.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Bet the people who work in them get first digs on all the best stuff :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Bet the people who work in them get first digs on all the best stuff :)

Not just in charity shops! Setting up the Christmas sale in Topshop a few years ago I found one leather jacket that was €200 reduced to €100, so €75 with staff discount. We were working late after hours so I hid it in the stock room until the next day :pac: There was only one and it was my size, I HAD to!

If you're in Dublin, the stretch up Camden St to Rathmines has loads of great charity shops. My mate got a gorgeous full length black skirt that is like all the ones on the highstreet for €2.50!

Oh wow. I'm not from Dublin but I'm there lots, hoping to move up soon. I'd love to find a few vintagey bits cheap, seems like every pretty thing I buy I see someone else wearing it, and often wearing it better >.<

Unique stuffs plz thnx :D (even if they're only unique because they're SO last season :p)

• Advertisement

I made this map a while ago for some people visiting Dublin. Some of the vintage shops are of the very high end quality, ie dresses start at €200, but others are more affordable, like 9 Crow Street (prices start at about €15)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=204376607549641507966.00048c99e863451f67ff2&ll=53.32699,-6.265941&spn=0.006933,0.01929&t=h&z=16

Twee. wrote: »
    I made this map a while ago for some people visiting Dublin. Some of the vintage shops are of the very high end quality, ie dresses start at €200, but others are more affordable, like 9 Crow Street (prices start at about €15)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=204376607549641507966.00048c99e863451f67ff2&ll=53.32699,-6.265941&spn=0.006933,0.01929&t=h&z=16
    Worthy of a sticky of it's own. :)
    I see you have Diruy Fabulous there. They had a bit of a write up in the Sunday Times. Last I heard they lost all their stock in a fire. Have they re-opened again?

EDIT: I've 'yoinked' your map and posted it on the Burlesque forum for the clothes collectors over there. /Shameless thievery

:)

OldGoat wrote: »
    Worthy of a sticky of it's own. :)
    I see you have Diruy Fabulous there. They had a bit of a write up in the Sunday Times. Last I heard they lost all their stock in a fire. Have they re-opened again?

EDIT: I've 'yoinked' your map and posted it on the Burlesque forum for the clothes collectors over there. /Shameless thievery

:)

Oh dear, I hadn't seen that! No idea if they're reopened. Sad news, hope they do.

Haha, thieve away Goaty!

Edit: Just remembered V For Vintage is gone now as well! I'll update the map later!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Does anyone else find the Mango and Zara websites a pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Sibylla wrote: »
    Does anyone else find the Mango and Zara websites a pain?

I find the Zara one fine - I don't look at Mango that often, tho was in Arnotts on Sunday and Mango have by far the best collection on the high street at the moment!

• Advertisement

lainey316 wrote: »
    I find the Zara one fine - I don't look at Mango that often, tho was in Arnotts on Sunday and Mango have by far the best collection on the high street at the moment!
    After much difficulty with the site I was looking at their collection it is stunning, Love their dresses for summer!

Clinical pharmacy presentation in 4 hours and I can't seem. Crap.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I'm planning a shopping day this weekend in Dublin city centre. Aside from my regular shops, can anyone recommend any decent charity shops around the city centre (or ones that have a decent amount of menswear)? I'd like to see what they have for the craic.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I'm planning a shopping day this weekend in Dublin city centre. Aside from my regular shops, can anyone recommend any decent charity shops around the city centre (or ones that have a decent amount of menswear)? I'd like to see what they have for the craic.

Twee's post above shows a map of where there are a a good few charity shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Twee's post above shows a map of where there are a a good few charity shops

I even thanked it at the time :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Oh. My. God. College is actually having a proper formal ball this year. So excited. I'll be taking my debs dress out of hibernation! Would love another chance to wear it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

GRARGH. Oasis clearly cuts all its dresses for people with tiny boobs. Tried on 4 dresses there this evening which fitted everywhere else, but either left me with boob overspill or not being able to get the zip all the way up because of boobage. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

GRARGH. Oasis clearly cuts all its dresses for people with tiny boobs. Tried on 4 dresses there this evening which fitted everywhere else, but either left me with boob overspill or not being able to get the zip all the way up because of boobage. :(

I don't have a lot from Oasis but I'm currently wearing an F cup and have bought two dresses there recently... but overall they do run a little small.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Oh. My. God. College is actually having a proper formal ball this year. So excited. I'll be taking my debs dress out of hibernation! Would love another chance to wear it.

I am SO jealous!

Last 'Grown Up Debs' was 6 months ago. I must prod Dominique and get her started on organising one for this year. Six months should be enough time for me to get the tux dry cleaned.

• Advertisement

Oh do! So sad I couldn't go to the last one! The venue I work for actually have something very interesting coming up, I'll pop it up where when the announcement goes out, could be an idea for a F&A or Burlesque beers ;)

I tried my dress on, it looks so pretty! It's chocolate brown and I wore a gold sash at my debs, but I think I'll go for a teal colour this time. They go nice together.

damasks.jpg

Talked to Dominique last night and the Ball is already rolling. <----Bwahahaha, I pun'ed.
    I should have know better as she is the Dogs Nads when it comes to having things organised.
    I'll update the forum when plans are a bit more formalised for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm going here next Friday with some friends:
    http://www.volupte-lounge.com/

Never been to anything like it before, have ZERO clothes to get dressed up in so know i will be panicking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Speaking of fun dressy events..

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=162320597156957

vintage dress dance!

vintage dress dance!

Haha that's what I was gonna post :D We should do a fancy beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

vintage dress dance!

Aw that sounds like an amazing night!

Getting all excited about my possible move to the city this summer and becoming a city gal :D

The fashion in Dublin enthrals me, it's nothing like home. I've been given dirty looks for wearing coloured tights or knee high cons :( I can't wait to be somewhere more open-minded and quirky :D

Boomkatalog your look is fantastic in the WDYWT thread, Love the colour of your dress!

Sibylla wrote: »
    Boomkatalog your look is fantastic in the WDYWT thread, Love the colour of your dress!

Aw thank you! :o I was all self-conscious about it being SO colourful, that and the amount of pale leg I was showing. What harm, only young once :v

• Advertisement

Aw thank you! :o I was all self-conscious about it being SO colourful, that and the amount of pale leg I was showing. What harm, only young once :v
    I'm extremely pale myself but I think that colour looked great with your blonde hair. Did you get that dress recently in new look?

Advertisement