Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New game workshopping and brainstorming

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Can use dingbats for catchphrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

• Registered Users Posts: 84,338 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Any interest in a movie casting game with reveal judging similar to walrus, e.g. you are given a particular iconic moment or iconic legendary person, you choose cast, director and writer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Anything movie related I'd be up for. Is it like, casting Jennifer Lawrence as Scarlet O'Hara in a Gone with the Wind remake, type?

quickbeam wrote: »
    Anything movie related I'd be up for. Is it like, casting Jennifer Lawrence as Scarlet O'Hara in a Gone with the Wind remake, type?

We would pick moments or people not done in any film before e.g. Paul McGrath biopic, Kim Kardashian sex tape leak by her mother, Neil Prenderville nurofen aeroplane antics etc., :D like walrus we would have a few categories

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ohhh, so the host picks a scenario, and then the rest put in their submission and the host decides who fits the scene best? I get it.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Ohhh, so the host picks a scenario, and then the rest put in their submission and the host decides who fits the scene best? I get it.

;)

Sound like a great idea Liz. Count me in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Me too!!

I just need to name the game, any ideas, all welcome, Screen Spielboard / The Casting Gooch / Movalrus / Harvey WriterScreen / Castyourway / Hollywould

• Advertisement

"Producer"?

Oh no ignore that. Hollywould. That's gold.

HOLLYWOULD

Genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,698 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

a premier league werewolf. utd are the duds, you think you have a good role but in reality you can do **** all! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

a premier league werewolf. utd are the duds, you think you have a good role but in reality you can do **** all! :P

Might be the first one to take my attention..

No really....

I will open up Hollywould then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

So I was at a loose end and bitterly disappointed that the new Bond movie has been put back again, and was thinking "well that's going to screw the Oscars up a bit with loads of films being held back" so I decided maybe an Oscar's related quiz is needed.

So thoughts are a picture quiz, all answers will be from Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress winners and nominees

Example from 2003 The actor was nominated but didn't win best actor
    2r1Nln.md.png

Now the questions and scoring I was thinking

A choice of 5 pictures per year from years between 2000 and 2019, not all of the years, maybe 10 to give a choice of 50 films to give answers to 10 of them

1 Character Name
    Bob Harris
    2 Film
    Lost In Translation
    3 Actor or Actress
    Bill Murray

The scoring and this is where I really need advice I was thinking of
    Scoring it similar to a Peehs but with

1 a bonus of anyone getting all 3 answers to a film correct getting a -10 to their score,
    The name of the characters I think will throw a lot of people so I expect the number of 3 correct answers to be low

2 anyone not attempting all 3 answers penalised +10 and the normal Peehs score of 1.5x the top answer

3 any wrong answers penalised the normal Peehs score of top answer x1.5

Any thoughts? Any thoughts on a name for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Neowise

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So I was at a loose end and bitterly disappointed that the new Bond movie has been put back again, and was thinking "well that's going to screw the Oscars up a bit with loads of films being held back" so I decided maybe an Oscar's related quiz is needed.

So thoughts are a picture quiz, all answers will be from Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress winners and nominees

Example from 2003 The actor was nominated but didn't win best actor
    2r1Nln.md.png

Now the questions and scoring I was thinking

A choice of 5 pictures per year from years between 2000 and 2019, not all of the years, maybe 10 to give a choice of 50 films to give answers to 10 of them

1 Character Name
    Bob Harris
    2 Film
    Lost In Translation
    3 Actor or Actress
    Bill Murray

The scoring and this is where I really need advice I was thinking of
    Scoring it similar to a Peehs but with

1 a bonus of anyone getting all 3 answers to a film correct getting a -10 to their score,
    The name of the characters I think will throw a lot of people so I expect the number of 3 correct answers to be low

2 anyone not attempting all 3 answers penalised +10 and the normal Peehs score of 1.5x the top answer

3 any wrong answers penalised the normal Peehs score of top answer x1.5

Any thoughts? Any thoughts on a name for it?

i'd a got bill murray, didn't know the 1 and 2 answers, but if known i'd be penalized for not answering would have said 1, james t kirk, 2, star trek 5, the undiscovered country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Neowise wrote: »
    i'd a got bill murray, didn't know the 1 and 2 answers, but if known i'd be penalized for not answering would have said 1, james t kirk, 2, star trek 5, the undiscovered country.

Yeah but that would have just given you the standard Peehs score of 3 x 1.5x the highest where as Bill Murray plus 2 wrong answers would have been Bills score plus 2 x 1.5 x the top answer, but hopefully you would know one of the other 4 questions for that year better.

I dunno, maybe as a standard quiz then with graduated points 5 for Character, 3 for Film and 1 for Actor/Actress, though some of the character answers would be obvious especially any biopics.

Thanks for the feedback though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great is idea spooks. I ran something similar last year with movie quotes.
    I would suggest just regular quiz scores, having peehs makes it complicated. Also, would you think of opening it to more than post 2000, my knownledge would be better pre 2000 :). Of course you could run more installments over different eras.

As for the name, The Spooks :)

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Yeah but that would have just given you the standard Peehs score of 3 x 1.5x the highest where as Bill Murray plus 2 wrong answers would have been Bills score plus 2 x 1.5 x the top answer, but hopefully you would know one of the other 4 questions for that year better.

I dunno, maybe as a standard quiz then with graduated points 5 for Character, 3 for Film and 1 for Actor/Actress, though some of the character answers would be obvious especially any biopics.

Thanks for the feedback though

i'd of course give the answer i know for 3.

The others were guesses, although, i know they are wrong, they are plausable, yellow shirt of kirk, and kirk is in ST5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

582-11-KCAL-1.jpg
    'tis the season to be jolly...
    Well, nearly!

I've had an idea of how to redo the sheep advent calendar, just wanted to see what people think.

Similar to last year - one question each morning, answers in by early evening, little reveal each evening.
    However, no way I can think of 24 sheep questions again! So I thought about doing numbers ("How many pumpkins get sold at halloween?" type thing, but Christmassy!), with a slightly geeky scoring system. But we're all geeks here, right?

I was going to give a standard score - that is, each person's score is the difference between their answer and the average answer, divided by the standard deviation of answers. The details don't actually matter - basically if you're near the average you get a low score, far from the average you get a high score. So lower scores are better. Dividing by the SD just means questions where the answer is millions get scored about the same as those where the answer is 10

Using the average also means the correct answer is kind of irrelevant, it's just how much you agree with people. Sheep style.

I did a couple of examples in excel to test how it works

Example one - average answer 1 million
    Player | Guess | Score
    A | 1,389,895 | 7.8
    B | 1,367,649 | 7.3
    C | 1,465,330 | 9.6
    D | 1,781,635 | 17.4
    E | 582,335 | 11.9
    F | 712,274 | 8.7
    G | 1,308,355 | 5.8
    H | 1,461,047 | 9.5
    I | 445,512 | 15.3
    J | 1,419,225 | 8.5
    K | 1,047,986 | 0.5
    L | 1,254,725 | 4.5
    M | 1,021,371 | 1.2
    N | 767,862 | 7.4
    O | 191,471 | 21.5
    P | 1,271,818 | 4.9
    Q | 1,233,132 | 4.0
    R | 1,190,240 | 2.9
    S | 581,975 | 11.9
    T | 913,381 | 3.8

Example two - average answer 10
    Player | Guess | Score
    A | 15 | 9.8
    B | 2 | 15.7
    C | 12 | 3.9
    D | 6 | 7.8
    E | 6 | 7.8
    F | 10 | 0.0
    G | 8 | 3.9
    H | 11 | 2.0
    I | 21 | 21.5
    J | 8 | 3.9
    K | 12 | 3.9
    L | 12 | 3.9
    M | 9 | 2.0
    N | 17 | 13.7
    O | 16 | 11.7
    P | 4 | 11.7
    Q | 12 | 3.9
    R | 3 | 13.7
    S | 13 | 5.9
    T | 3 | 13.7

What do you think? Am I overcomplicating it? Will it scare people off?

And what if someone misses a day?
    Give them the highest score? Or scale that up somehow?

*true geeks might notice I've actually calculated 10x the absolute value of the standard score ;)

ETA: not sure if I'll bother, but do you think people would be happy with Google forms to enter rather than PM? Basically a link to three boxes - username, answer, comments
    Not sure how much effort it is to do but in theory it would make scoring much easier for me

582-11-KCAL-1.jpg
    'tis the season to be jolly...
    Well, nearly!

I've had an idea of how to redo the sheep advent calendar, just wanted to see what people think.

Similar to last year - one question each morning, answers in by early evening, little reveal each evening.
    However, no way I can think of 24 sheep questions again! So I thought about doing numbers ("How many pumpkins get sold at halloween?" type thing, but Christmassy!), with a slightly geeky scoring system. But we're all geeks here, right?

I was going to give a standard score - that is, each person's score is the difference between their answer and the average answer, divided by the standard deviation of answers. The details don't actually matter - basically if you're near the average you get a low score, far from the average you get a high score. So lower scores are better. Dividing by the SD just means questions where the answer is millions get scored about the same as those where the answer is 10

Using the average also means the correct answer is kind of irrelevant, it's just how much you agree with people. Sheep style.

Player | Guess | Score
    A | 1,389,895 | 7.8
    B | 1,367,649 | 7.3
    C | 1,465,330 | 9.6
    D | 1,781,635 | 17.4
    E | 582,335 | 11.9
    F | 712,274 | 8.7
    G | 1,308,355 | 5.8
    H | 1,461,047 | 9.5
    I | 445,512 | 15.3
    J | 1,419,225 | 8.5
    K | 1,047,986 | 0.5
    L | 1,254,725 | 4.5
    M | 1,021,371 | 1.2
    N | 767,862 | 7.4
    O | 191,471 | 21.5
    P | 1,271,818 | 4.9
    Q | 1,233,132 | 4.0
    R | 1,190,240 | 2.9
    S | 581,975 | 11.9
    T | 913,381 | 3.8

Example two - average answer 10
    Player | Guess | Score
    A | 15 | 9.8
    B | 2 | 15.7
    C | 12 | 3.9
    D | 6 | 7.8
    E | 6 | 7.8
    F | 10 | 0.0
    G | 8 | 3.9
    H | 11 | 2.0
    I | 21 | 21.5
    J | 8 | 3.9
    K | 12 | 3.9
    L | 12 | 3.9
    M | 9 | 2.0
    N | 17 | 13.7
    O | 16 | 11.7
    P | 4 | 11.7
    Q | 12 | 3.9
    R | 3 | 13.7
    S | 13 | 5.9
    T | 3 | 13.7

What do you think? Am I overcomplicating it? Will it scare people off?

And what if someone misses a day?
    Give them the highest score? Or scale that up somehow?

*true geeks might notice I've actually calculated 10x the absolute value of the standard score ;)

ETA: not sure if I'll bother, but do you think people would be happy with Google forms to enter rather than PM? Basically a link to three boxes - username, answer, comments
    Not sure how much effort it is to do but in theory it would make scoring much easier for me

PCnM.gif

Neowise wrote: »
    PCnM.gif
    tenor.gif
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Player | Guess | Score
    K | 1,047,986 | 0.5
    M | 1,021,371 | 1.2
    | |
    R | 1,190,240 | 2.9
    T | 913,381 | 3.8

May I ask, in these two examples from the first table, how the answers that are further away from the average end up with fewer points?

Should M not have a lower score than K, and T a lower score than R?

I'm assuming just a snag in whatever wizardly formula you've concocted, but if you do go with this method, better to get it buffed out early doors :)

Unless I've completely misunderstood, which is entirely possible

May I ask, in these two examples from the first table, how the answers that are further away from the average end up with fewer points?

Should M not have a lower score than K, and T a lower score than R?

I'm assuming just a snag in whatever wizardly formula you've concocted, but if you do go with this method, better to get it buffed out early doors :)

Unless I've completely misunderstood, which is entirely possible

The real answer does not matter.
    The Average of the answers is 1070360.9, so thats the number you are getting lowest score close to, not 1000000.

Does that help with the checks?

Ah yeah, sorry Aaron - I was a little lazy describing that. The answers were random around a million but the actual average was as Neowise says. Good spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

processing...
    'tis the season to be jolly...Well, nearly!
    Boo wrote:
    bWmGTPP.png Did someone say Christmas?
    Boo wrote:
    Oh we did ENJOY last years so! wpUNyA9.gif
    However, no way I can think of 24 sheep questions again!
    Boo wrote:
    We has a Christmas lovers forum for jest this sorta thing ;)
    So I thought about doing numbers ("How many pumpkins get sold at halloween?" type thing, but Christmassy!),
    Boo wrote:
    That works too... I am no good at maths. :(
    with a slightly geeky scoring system. But we're all geeks here, right?
    Boo wrote:
    ehh, sure, I am great at maths! :cool:
    I was going to give a standard score - that is, each person's score is the difference between their answer and the average answer, divided by the standard deviation of answers.
    Boo wrote:
    8y4UPlS.gif S=(TA-AA)/SD ...oh look, shiny! GnAsldR.gif
    The details don't actually matter - basically if you're near the average you get a low score, far from the average you get a high score.
    Boo wrote:
    Sheep=low score dxa6y39.gif
    Ace=High Score 6iyAtYm.gif
    So lower scores are better.
    Boo wrote:
    Oopsie...
    Sheep=low score 6iyAtYm.gif
    Ace=High Score dxa6y39.gif
    Dividing by the SD just means questions where the answer is millions get scored about the same as those where the answer is 10

Fseenvh.jpg?1

What do you think? ...Will it scare people off?
    Boo wrote:
    NOT WHEN IT'S ABOUT CHRISTMAS ! q4l9lOD.gif
    ...do you think people would be happy with Google forms to enter rather than PM?
    Boo wrote:
    I do most everything in google sheets, cos :o Chromebook...
    fyp :pac:

Can't wait, EN - Thanks for doing this again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Given EN's great Christmas advent :D tradition, Necro's Just One Game, and Christmas forums mini-taboo game (which I seem :/ to've broken), I was wondering if a combined Christmas themed Just One/Taboo mashup would be fun in Forum games? Do you think anyone would be interested in hosting or even participating? ...I am really only capable of hosting MSPaint games, but would be happy to play.

• Advertisement

EN....

Tldr: ok lol

Advertisement