Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I can't imagine them not doing that. There's a lot of ill will there.

I mean the premiership is probably one of the most competitive leagues there is anyways, 4 games in and every team's picked up at least 1 win and no unbeaten teams as a result. There was only a 4 point difference between 4th and 9th last season. I can't see a reason why teams wouldn't be going hell for leather regardless of the points deduction.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I mean the premiership is probably one of the most competitive leagues there is anyways, 4 games in and every team's picked up at least 1 win and no unbeaten teams as a result. There was only a 4 point difference between 4th and 9th last season. I can't see a reason why teams wouldn't be going hell for leather regardless of the points deduction.

Saracens will be doing well to finish inside the Top 10 based on previous years performances.

They'd have to post league all-time best win ratios to get much higher than that..

I suspect that they may just forget about Europe this year and keep the big-guns for the league.

All the EPS players have game management programs in place so I reckon that the 12-15 games or whatever the number is that they are allowed play for their clubs this year will all be Premiership games.

They are going to go all out to try to get to the Top 6 to qualify for Europe for next year rather then trying to win it this year.

I don't think they can do it myself , but that's what I think they are going to try to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dave Rennie taking over the Wobblies it ssems. Glasgow going to be looking around again.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wow....

A good appointment.

And one surely to hated by the hardcore aussie fan. :D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Wow....

A good appointment.

Well they didn't like the last Aussie they got, so they can put up or shut up. Confirmed now.

• Advertisement

Wow....

A good appointment.

I'd say Cheika is fuming too, he was imploring Rugby Australia to give the job to another Australian coach.

He'll be sticking around until the end of the Pro14 apparently, it'll be interesting to see how Glasgow go given the announcement now.

Danny Wilson is taking over Glasgow at the end of the season. Dave Rennie's first match as Wobblies coach will be against Ireland I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Hasn’t exactly taken Glasgow on since Townsend has he?

Hasn’t exactly taken Glasgow on since Townsend has he?

Top of the conference in 2017, knocked out by Scarlets in the semis, runners up last year and got to the knockouts in Europe. Gregor had the league win but only brought them to the European knockouts in his final season in his 5 years there.

I'd say he's done fairly well to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

errlloyd wrote: »
    This is a funny post - and I am definitely not having a go!

Just wanted to note that although Andy Powell did that, I had huge respect for how he retired. His club covered for him saying he had a knee injury, but he went to Sky Sports later in the week and admitted he was retiring because he was struggling with depression. Incredibly honest and almost certainly helpful in addressing some of the stigmas in the game.

ah yeah, wasn’t having a go at Powell, was very much tongue in cheek. he seems a good egg in general but i don’t think that in any universe doing what he did could be considered a smart move.

probably not very fair of me to bring the incident up in relation to a real prick like Folau, but it is a very funny story :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Wow....

A good appointment.

Rennie the roo.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Rennie the roo.

Stop speaking with your mouth full ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was that Rory Best's last action on a rugby pitch, a left foot conversion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

If you've 2 mins to spare, have a little look at Joe Marlers interview about their upcoming game against Bath, plenty of horsing around

If you've 2 mins to spare, have a little look at Joe Marlers interview about their upcoming game against Bath, plenty of horsing around
    He seemed to lose the run of himself alright. :D.

I see Toulon scored an 87th minute converted try last night to beat scarlets by one point.

That must have been some kick in the nads for the Welsh Boys.

Benetton in control against Northampton at the moment. 25-15. Northampton just got a try before half time.

Sarries hammering Ospreys. 30-3 50 minutes gone. Ospreys could be looking at an early exit from Europe and staying around the bottom of the pro14 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Rotten luck for Benetton. Gave away a penalty for deliberate knock on ten or fifteen seconds after a forward pass that wasn't picked up.

Great game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Rotten luck for Benetton. Gave away a penalty for deliberate knock on ten or fifteen seconds after a forward pass that wasn't picked up.

Great game though.

Treviso had a number of issues with the ref in that game....they got screwed a good few times......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I see Pablo Matera has joined Stade Francais. You’d have to think Argentina will struggle to compete in next years rugby championship with the exodus of players. Strange move from him as well if it’s only been done recently, considering the mess they are in.

Looks like Argentina tried the Irish route and failed, now they look like they will have to go full SA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Osprey's after letting Allen Clarke go.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Osprey's after letting Allen Clarke go.

No indication of who's going to replace him yet, their backs coach is finishing up at the end of this season also.

I will guffah heartily if it's Jackman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Welsh where going mad last year about the lack of Welsh coaches, I would expect the WRU will be going for a home grown coach, if they have any :P

Ben Teo joining sunwolves in 2020............

Ben Teo joining sunwolves in 2020............

Wonder is it a one year contract and then off to a Top League side, considering nobody knows what's going to happen to the Sunwolves after this season.

Wonder is it a one year contract and then off to a Top League side, considering nobody knows what's going to happen to the Sunwolves after this season.

id imagine its a one year contract alright.

the current status is that 2020 is sunwolves last year of super rugby, so im not sure how they can offer him anything more

• Advertisement

That sounds painful. Are you sure you wouldn't prefer a hearty guffaw instead? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement