Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion II

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I thought Foster was the heir apparent, no?

He is.

The question is though do NZRU want some freshness in there.

I'm expecting the ticket to be Foster with probably Robinson as his assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So apparently Sarries are not appealing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Haters gonna hate, hate, hate.

Expect Stephen Jones to laud Saracens taking the high road and not bringing the game into further disrepute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not sure why Sarries would appeal, at the time of release it was mentioned they where constantly updated on progress of the review....they could appeal during the process if anything was wrong

Also an appeal would mean what they are up to actually comes out so they couldn’t play the high ground.....

• Advertisement

Jones is very salty in today's Times.

Not once does he acknowledge that saracens did wrong. He spends his article blowing smoke up wrays arse, while castigating their rivals for calling then out as cheats... And takes aim at Premiership rugby for keeping the report secret.

He's become a parody at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

But how are they currently under the cap? How does that get reconciled if they aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

But how are they currently under the cap? How does that get reconciled if they aren't?

They're likely not, the cap is evaluated for the year previous so we'll only find out next season if they'll be reprimanded for this season too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Jones is very salty in today's Times.

Not once does he acknowledge that saracens did wrong. He spends his article blowing smoke up wrays arse, while castigating their rivals for calling then out as cheats... And takes aim at Premiership rugby for keeping the report secret.

He's become a parody at this stage.

Apparently Saracens had to drop the appeal for “playing reasons” and not cause they are actually guilty :pac:

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Apparently Saracens had to drop the appeal for “playing reasons” and not cause they are actually guilty :pac:

Yeah I read that.... Completely laughable.

Any appeal would have meant mccaul wouldnt have known when he could play his best players..... Boo fn hoo....

• Advertisement

The man is an utter scumbag. I remember those arguments about him having the right to say what he likes. Feck that. Muzzle him.

https://twitter.com/australian/status/1195995769943146496?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

What an absolute moron... people have lost their lives in these fires and he believed it's god's will....if he can be prosecuted under Aussie law for hate speech they should start proceedings pdq

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We need to stop giving him attention. The more clicks and tweets etc the bigger the platform people are giving him to spew his absolute vile bullshít.

He's an absolute moron, when the whole thing kicked off he had people who were willing to see another side of the argument in that 'he was sharing his religious beliefs and not saying he actually hates LGBT people' but rather than having an ounce of cop on and just saying hey it was a misunderstanding I fúcked up, he's doubled down on it and taken it to another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

We need to stop giving him attention. The more clicks and tweets etc the bigger the platform people are giving him to spew his absolute vile bullshít.

He's an absolute moron, when the whole thing kicked off he had people who were willing to see another side of the argument in that 'he was sharing his religious beliefs and not saying he actually hates LGBT people' but rather than having an ounce of cop on and just saying hey it was a misunderstanding I fúcked up, he's doubled down on it and taken it to another level.

Free speech etc don’t you know

salmocab wrote: »
    Free speech etc don’t you know

Just as easy to ignore and not link any of his rubbish.....not much use free speech is when nobody listens to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Folau might be the stupidest professional rugby player i can think of, which is impressive as hasn’t even drunkenly driven a golf cart down a motorway at 2 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Folau might be the stupidest professional rugby player i can think of, which is impressive as hasn’t even drunkenly driven a golf cart down a motorway at 2 in the morning.
    I am puzzled as to why God hasn't punished the rest of us for the same crime. I'd let him off on this one as it was a faith-based sermon to the choir.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah I read that.... Completely laughable.

Any appeal would have meant mccaul wouldnt have known when he could play his best players..... Boo fn hoo....
    Guardian report on it suggesting that England might be hit in the 6N as the Sarries brigade might be needed to keep them up! Little sympathy for them. Nothing may be illegal but there's that spirit thing they consistently turned a blind eye to in the pursuit of success.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Guardian report on it suggesting that England might be hit in the 6N as the Sarries brigade might be needed to keep them up! Little sympathy for them. Nothing may be illegal but there's that spirit thing they consistently turned a blind eye to in the pursuit of success.

Sarries cannot refuse to release players called up.

Eddie Jones doesn't give a crap about saracens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Clegg wrote: »
    The man is an utter scumbag. I remember those arguments about him having the right to say what he likes. Feck that. Muzzle him.
    Leave him un-muzzled. Better to see him for what he really is (and his supporters). There'll still be some who'll defend him, but those numbers are dwindling the more he speaks.

• Advertisement

Sarries cannot refuse to release players called up.

Eddie Jones doesn't give a crap about saracens

I suspect they will try not release and will be forced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This is a funny post - and I am definitely not having a go!

Just wanted to note that although Andy Powell did that, I had huge respect for how he retired. His club covered for him saying he had a knee injury, but he went to Sky Sports later in the week and admitted he was retiring because he was struggling with depression. Incredibly honest and almost certainly helpful in addressing some of the stigmas in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

molloyjh wrote: »
    How are they going to stay within the salary cap and not lose players? That's not explained.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    How are they going to stay within the salary cap and not lose players? That's not explained.

Magic.

And probably by not offering the additional benefits. In fairness to Sarscens they do seem to have a good set-up in terms of how they look after the players and their families. Once in to somewhere like that it can take a lot to be drawn away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Magic.

And probably by not offering the additional benefits. In fairness to Sarscens they do seem to have a good set-up in terms of how they look after the players and their families. Once in to somewhere like that it can take a lot to be drawn away from it.
    They will probably get through the season without losing anyone. Unusual to see players jumping ship mid-season. But there are a couple of factors that might impact them. One, they are not going to win the premiership and in fact are possibly going to be in a fight to stay up. Secondly, the European championship is going to have to take a back seat in favour of the premiership battle. Players may find it difficult to be motivated for a season that's got nothing in it for them, either financially or gong-hunting.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They will probably get through the season without losing anyone. Unusual to see players jumping ship mid-season. But there are a couple of factors that might impact them. One, they are not going to win the premiership and in fact are possibly going to be in a fight to stay up. Secondly, the European championship is going to have to take a back seat in favour of the premiership battle. Players may find it difficult to be motivated for a season that's got nothing in it for them, either financially or gong-hunting.

it will be a real test of this famous "wolfpack" mentality.... all sticking together, one big family etc etc

Magic.

They have a good setup and no is disputing that, the fact is the reason they get players is money.....simple fact. bath offer 100k, Saracens offer 100k and 100k "company fund".

Once they get the player to the club they do look after them but lets say the same player was. Bath 100k, Saracens 100k but Wasps 200k as marquee player. That player would be in Wasps tomorrow morning......

Saracens didn't challenge because all of the details would come out in press and everyone would find out exactly what they are up to. Better to hide this and move on.

Be interesting if the other Prem teams go all out to keep Saracens bottom table. Make every game an absolute war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Venjur wrote: »
    Be interesting if the other Prem teams go all out to keep Saracens bottom table. Make every game an absolute war.

I can't imagine them not doing that. There's a lot of ill will there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement