Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Pro/Amateur MMA discussion - Read 1st Post Before Posting

• 28-05-2019 4:14pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thread added by request in the feedback forum. Discussion to be only around Irish Pro/Amateur MMA as per the title. This is not a Conor McGregor discussion thread, there is a relevant place for that. Usual charter rules apply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Who do people reckon could be make a breakthrough onto a top level show, I feel Ian Garry could be a bit special ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Who do people reckon could be make a breakthrough onto a top level show, I feel Ian Garry could be a bit special ?

Yeah Ian is a cracking fighter witha lot of potential. He has his 2nd pro fight on the next Cage Warriors card and it will be interesting to see how he gets on with his next few match ups with the promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thoughts on the ongoing kerfuffle over the Battle Arena event cancellation? Or is such discussion allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thoughts on the ongoing kerfuffle over the Battle Arena event cancellation? Or is such discussion allowed?

I think it's madness. One man in Ireland is demanding that Irish amateur MMA be held to a higher standard of safety than any other amateur sport in the world and higher than the MMA world governing body even require.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I think it's madness. One man in Ireland is demanding that Irish amateur MMA be held to a higher standard of safety than any other amateur sport in the world and higher than the MMA world governing body even require.

The same man is a medical advisor for the world body, Hypocrisy is rife in Irish MMA.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Did Barry used to post here years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Yeah he got banned after some entertaining verbal battles prior to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

IMMAF European championship just done. The Russians absolutely dominated the senior and junior competitions. Everyone got absolutely wrestle ****ed by them, some difference in standard to the rest of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

califano wrote: »

That's an awful shame, I have dabbled in beginners mma classes here and there over the years in various clubs, and my few months training under Barry in the old Kyuzo gym in Glasnevin was by far my most enjoyable. A brilliant communicator, sound man, and as good a beginners coach as Ive encountered (not saying he's not a good coach for high level competitors as well, it's just I have no experience of it so can't comment!). Definitely a loss to the Irish mma community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    That's an awful shame, I have dabbled in beginners mma classes here and there over the years in various clubs, and my few months training under Barry in the old Kyuzo gym in Glasnevin was by far my most enjoyable. A brilliant communicator, sound man, and as good a beginners coach as Ive encountered (not saying he's not a good coach for high level competitors as well, it's just I have no experience of it so can't comment!). Definitely a loss to the Irish mma community.

I'm not suggesting he isn't a good MMA coach, or ever Gave less than 100%. But I think it was clear that he was a jiu jitsu guy at heart. Nothing wrong with focusing on what you love and what your actually an expert at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting he isn't a good MMA coach, or ever Gave less than 100%. But I think it was clear that he was a jiu jitsu guy at heart. Nothing wrong with focusing on what you love and what your actually an expert at.

Ah sorry, I couldn't access the tweet in work and wrongly jumped to the conclusion he was done with coaching in general rather than just MMA. Still a loss to the mma community I feel, during my time there the culture in that club was so positive and free from all the negatives that are so often are present in mma clubs to varying degrees. The less of them around, the less hope there is for mma in Ireland to be more like whatever Barry feels it should be.

Anyway, great that the BJJ side of things (where his expertise lies as you say) is still going strong.

Advertisement