Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 15:38   #1
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,980
Time to ready?

We are getting a new build house. It has base foundations ready, but no walls. Builder says it will be ready in 2 months to move in. Does this sound plausible?
Area size is 1500 sq ft.
masterboy123 is offline  
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 15:38   #2
awec
Moderator
 
awec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 38,950
Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Sounds like total pie in the sky.

Is this a one off house or part of a development? What finish?
awec is offline  
11-01-2019, 15:40   #3
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,980
Based on your experience, what's the expected time frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
Sounds like total pie in the sky.

Is this a one off house or part of a development?
masterboy123 is offline  
11-01-2019, 15:42   #4
awec
Moderator
 
awec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 38,950
Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterboy123 View Post
Based on your experience, what's the expected time frame?
If it's part of a development (and therefore the developer is building multiple houses at once), and it's a turn key finish, I would expect at least 8 weeks once the house is watertight with the roof on and windows in.

Built from foundations to a turn key finish in 8 weeks sounds incredibly fast.

I'm not a builder, so not an expert, but seems really unlikely to me.
awec is offline  
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 15:46   #5
Samuel T. Cogley
Registered User
 
Samuel T. Cogley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7,432
Is this being built by on of Drunkmonkey's 3D printers?

Joking aside seems very quick to me also - also not a builder.
Samuel T. Cogley is online now  
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 16:08   #6
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,980
Yes, it's a first house of the development. They have made around 12 home foundation bases and builder told they will start making walls and roofs in the queue.

I also felt 2 months is too short and thought will get others view.
masterboy123 is offline  
11-01-2019, 20:59   #7
MSVforever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 398
We are buying a new build as well. They started laying the foundation last April and we will have our 1st snag next week.
10-12 month would be more realistic imo.
MSVforever is offline  
11-01-2019, 21:20   #8
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,980
Oh my God, that's a long wait. But thanks for opening our eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSVforever View Post
We are buying a new build as well. They started laying the foundation last April and we will have our 1st snag next week.
10-12 month would be more realistic imo.
masterboy123 is offline  
11-01-2019, 22:00   #9
awec
Moderator
 
awec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 38,950
Mod: Rugby, ZTest
If you're the very first house I wouldn't expect it to be as long as 10 months, but certainly more than 2.

Also consider that if you are in fact the very first house then you're basically the guinea pig which will slow things down.
awec is offline  
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 09:52   #10
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,980
How come first house is the Guinea pig? We were told they won't move to other house until the first house is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
If you're the very first house I wouldn't expect it to be as long as 10 months, but certainly more than 2.

Also consider that if you are in fact the very first house then you're basically the guinea pig which will slow things down.
masterboy123 is offline  
12-01-2019, 10:08   #11
awec
Moderator
 
awec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 38,950
Mod: Rugby, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterboy123 View Post
How come first house is the Guinea pig? We were told they won't move to other house until the first house is complete.
Well they’ve never built it before. The first time you do something is the hardest.
awec is offline  
12-01-2019, 10:45   #12
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,980
The builder has built houses in the last few years. This is phase 3. Maybe that way he will be faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
Well they’ve never built it before. The first time you do something is the hardest.
masterboy123 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet