Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-01-2019, 08:47   #16
Beheretomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaz2018 View Post
5% increase for 2019 coming according to Davy and myhome. Id imagine this will be mainly outside Dublin as there seems to be scope for people to borrow more as a % of their salary. Dublin is maxed out in that regard, apparently.
I read this article too and my first thought was that these guys are bankers and have a vested interest to protect their industry. I'd be surprised if we see single digit growth this year. Housing in Hong Kong has fallen (-20%), so has Sydney (-10%) and the Bay Area has stagnated. Apple cut it sales outlook last night. We're in for a rocky ride in 2019 in my opinion.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 08:51   #17

About 7.5k properties for sale in Dublin. Seems like a lot. Twice as many as a few years ago.
03-01-2019, 09:32   #18
Zenify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn View Post
About 7.5k properties for sale in Dublin. Seems like a lot. Twice as many as a few years ago.
40% increase for properties for sale in Dublin compared to this time last year according to draft report.
03-01-2019, 10:57   #19
beaz2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenify View Post
40% increase for properties for sale in Dublin compared to this time last year according to draft report.
How does this compare to other cities as a % of population, does anyone know?
03-01-2019, 13:43   #20
Villa05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjet
I think the actual process and legal changes involved in implementing Brexit will be long, messy, complicated and drawn out, certainly not something that will happen overnight on March 29th. As a result, any meaningful impact on the Irish property market will probably not be felt for at least 3-5 years.

That would indicate a sudden shock untill the legal issues are sorted out
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 15:23   #21
Beheretomorrow

Manhattan home sales fell 14 percent last year, the industry's steepest drop since 2009, according to new data.

In the fourth quarter, the median price for an apartment in New York City fell below $1 million for the first time in three years.

The decline in sales in the fourth quarter was the fifth-straight quarterly drop.

From CNBC
03-01-2019, 15:27   #22
snotboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beheretomorrow View Post
Manhattan home sales fell 14 percent last year, the industry's steepest drop since 2009, according to new data.

In the fourth quarter, the median price for an apartment in New York City fell below $1 million for the first time in three years.

The decline in sales in the fourth quarter was the fifth-straight quarterly drop.

From CNBC
I wonder if the trade restrictions and tightening of regulation in China is stopping Chinese investors from dumping capital into foreign property markets. London, New York, Sydney and to a lesser extent San Francisco have all been heavily affected by this investment.
03-01-2019, 17:46   #23
smurgen

U.S manufacturing at it's slowest growth in 2 years and futures all down.it's happening!
03-01-2019, 17:57   #24

The abject glee that some seem to be displaying when talking about a recession is really strange. Why would you possibly want a downturn or the economy to do worse? This won't only result in lower property prices. People will lose their jobs etc. Banks won't lend. Companies won't invest. It's not a good thing.
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 18:11   #25
smurgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyoaty0099 View Post
The abject glee that some seem to be displaying when talking about a recession is really strange. Why would you possibly want a downturn or the economy to do worse? This won't only result in lower property prices. People will lose their jobs etc. Banks won't lend. Companies won't invest. It's not a good thing.
Don't be so emotive.it's just nice to see the "property prices can only go up brigade" facing a wave of reality in the short to medium term future. The arrogance and certainty that those in the previous thread spoke with was unfortunate.
Thanks from:
03-01-2019, 18:22   #26
titan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Muscular Quirk
I wouldnt react with glee to a recession but I wouldn't mind one. Probably the best chance I have to buy a house as I'd have close to 20% deposit at current house prices, never mind if they went down.

Course, could lose job or banks won't lend, and things could get worse in the country but I have hope it might shake things up politically and we might get some parties move more to the right economically.
03-01-2019, 18:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurgen View Post
Don't be so emotive.it's just nice to see the "property prices can only go up brigade" facing a wave of reality in the short to medium term future. The arrogance and certainty that those in the previous thread spoke with was unfortunate.
Emotive? You're easily agitated if you'd class my last post as emotive. Classifying people as arrogant for having an opinion on how property prices will progress in the near future is a bit strange. Demand is still much higher than supply and quoting syndney house prices as some kind of tracker for Irish prices is a bizzare argument to be making in my opinion. Not saying that was you btw, just that prices are as likely to go up as they are to go down on the next 3 to 5 years.
(2) thanks from:
03-01-2019, 19:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan18 View Post
I wouldnt react with glee to a recession but I wouldn't mind one. Probably the best chance I have to buy a house as I'd have close to 20% deposit at current house prices, never mind if they went down.

Course, could lose job or banks won't lend, and things could get worse in the country but I have hope it might shake things up politically and we might get some parties move more to the right economically.
Banks didn’t lend last time. Cash buyers bought most of the property for 2-3 years. Good luck.
03-01-2019, 19:16   #29
InstaSte

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyoaty0099 View Post
It depends on your position really. If you already have a house, a stable long term job that won't be directly affected by a US recession, then said recession provides many opportunities, primarily in the stock market.

If you don't have a house and you work for a US multinational in Ireland then yes that's a very different story.
03-01-2019, 19:28   #30
Villa05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Muscular Quirk

The whole point of many posts here is that if we had a mature attitude to the property market we would avoid the worst of the damage caused by recessions. The property market operates in a boom bust cycle by choice and government policy.
It is quiet simple to avoid these cycles and have a functioning property market

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion