Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-11-2018, 10:35   #46
Wildly Boaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtk2018 View Post
Cheers folks, any thoughts on ashbourne, dundalk, ratoath?
Rathoath and ashbourne had a lot of disjointed developments during the tiger.
Schools etc were slow to follow

I would say rathoath has settled into itself now.
Rathoath always had a nice feel to it and good village spirit.

Both are bus only, no train.
Look at bus eireann and Matthews etc.

A cousin gets ashbourne bus daily. Happy with it and shes driving 20 mins to it in first place.

Dundalk is very far away. Was always a bit great and bleak but was up there a good bit in last 12 months and seemed much improved.

I'd look at BlackRock beside it of I was up that far. Lovely spot. Forever doing well in tidy. Towns
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-11-2018, 13:48   #47
the_syco

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Maynooth is phenomenally expensive for what you get.
Pretty much due to Maynooth University being there.

Anything beyond Maynooth, and the public commute cost may rise dramatically!

I've lived in Leixlip most of my life, and although it's a nice place, the village is the only group of pubs. The houses are being built in an easterly direction, but no extra facilities are being built along the way, bar a pitch for the local GAA.
(2) thanks from:
17-11-2018, 15:35   #48
handlemaster

Dublin 15 you will get a property at a reasonable price and cut out the long commute
Thanks from:
17-11-2018, 23:28   #49
Mtk2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlemaster View Post
Dublin 15 you will get a property at a reasonable price and cut out the long commute
Thanks , Ive lived in London for a while , 70-80 mins commute doesn't bother me too much. The priority is to have a larger house, around green space in an area that is safe , family friendly . Happy to compromise with the commute then
Thanks from:
17-11-2018, 23:49   #50
dar_cool

Send a message via MSN to dar_cool
Trim is lovely and has a decent bus service to Dublin.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-11-2018, 11:34   #51
April 73

Quote:
Cheers folks, any thoughts on ashbourne, dundalk, ratoath?
Ratoath has become quite built up over the last 15 years. But with that has come a decent thriving village with restaurants, coffee shops, hairdressers, pharmacies, a supermarket, couple of pubs etc etc.
There are two decent national schools & a secondary school. Good community spirit & loads of sports clubs - tennis, GAA, soccer, rugby.
5 mins drive from Ashbourne where there’s a cinema, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Dunnes etc. Blanchardstown shopping centre is 15-20 mins away & is one of the biggest shopping centres in Ireland.
Public transport lets us down a bit. Commuting to town - Bus Eireann, drive to M3 Parkway for the train or Ashbourne Connect Bus (with some direct routes from Ratoath, using the port tunnel & takes about an hour). You should definitely have it on your list.
Thanks from:
21-11-2018, 10:51   #52
Sleepy

Check out Donabate / Portrane. It's 25 minutes to Connolly by train (albeit often rather packed), 15 minutes to the airport by car. Lots of beaches and green space for the kids. Regular bus service into Swords for shopping/cinema etc.

310k might be a stretch for a 3 bed in Donabate but would get you an older 3 bed in Portrane.
09-01-2019, 15:33   #53
elizunia87

Quote:
Thanks , Ive lived in London for a while , 70-80 mins commute doesn't bother me too much. The priority is to have a larger house, around green space in an area that is safe , family friendly . Happy to compromise with the commute then
My Husband and I are considering to move to Portaloise. To be honest we both do not like Dublin ( we are not Irish ), do not go to pubs anymore. I love the area over there, the houses are from dreams, ready to move in, it is quiet. I am a bit afraid of commuting. it is 45- 53 min by train to Huston.
09-01-2019, 15:35   #54
khaldrogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Roma
I currently live in Leixlip. It’s very commutable by public transport within an hour, even at rush hour.

That's not a Dublin suburb....
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 15:36   #55
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaldrogo View Post
That's not a Dublin suburb....
Part of the town (not a lot admittedly) is even in County Dublin, it's definitely in scope for the thread
09-01-2019, 15:41   #56
Bargain_Hound

Surprised Navan hasn't been mentioned yet. Bus into city center takes approx 60mins. Train to docklands from Dunboyne too. The M3 goes straight into the city too if driving. There are plenty of new houses being built out that way at the moment. I am biased though, we recently bought in Navan (way under your 310k budget for a 3bed semi-d) and couldn't be happier although neither of us commute into the city center.

Father lives in Naas, great spot with everything you would ever need. Sallins would be the nearest train station which I believe has capacity issues at rush hour.

We looked at leixlip & celbridge too, feels like Dublin but with a bit more a country feel. Prices a lot more affordable than Dublin addresses but compeitive for the 2nd hand house market. Plenty of amenities and services in both.

Last edited by Bargain_Hound; 09-01-2019 at 15:44.
09-01-2019, 17:16   #57
2013Lara

We bought in Wicklow town and love it. Its 15min drive to Bray, obviously in no traffic. Hubby works in Clonskeagh and gets home in 40mins or so. He doesn't do 9-5 though, traffic is obviously worse at those times. There is a new bus that goes from the town to Dublin and they're starting a park and ride for it, you will park at the beehive and get the bus straight to Dublin from there. Loads of new estates being built, you'd get a lovely house here for your budget.
09-01-2019, 17:31   #58
Creamy Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013Lara View Post
We bought in Wicklow town and love it. Its 15min drive to Bray, obviously in no traffic. Hubby works in Clonskeagh and gets home in 40mins or so. He doesn't do 9-5 though, traffic is obviously worse at those times. There is a new bus that goes from the town to Dublin and they're starting a park and ride for it, you will park at the beehive and get the bus straight to Dublin from there. Loads of new estates being built, you'd get a lovely house here for your budget.
15 minutes to Bray? You may need to recalculate that. Google has this trip taking 26 minutes at 1am, and 28.4km. To do it in 15 minutes you'd need to average 115km/h which is above the speed limit as there's only a tiny bit of the journey on the M11 where it's 120km/h.
09-01-2019, 17:34   #59
2013Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
15 minutes to Bray? You may need to recalculate that Google has this trip taking 26 minutes at 1am, and 28.4km. To do it in 15 minutes you'd need to average 115km/h which is above the speed limit.
Definitely doesn't take 26 mins. Should have been clearer but I mean to the bray exit not to Bray Town. I'd definitely do that in 15mins. Takes me 20mins from my door to get to Carrickmines. Depends what area of the town your in also.
09-01-2019, 17:39   #60
Creamy Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013Lara View Post
Definitely doesn't take 26 mins. Should have been clearer but I mean to the bray exit not to Bray Town. I'd definitely do that in 15mins. Takes me 20mins from my door to get to Carrickmines. Depends what area of the town your in also.
I just put in Wicklow Town and Bray into google maps and let it choose the centre points. It took the town hall in bray as the starting point and the Super Valu on Wicklow Town's main street.

It's still 22 minutes if I pick the same starting location in Wicklow Town and ending location as Kilcroney Furniture. 7 minutes difference which is roughly 50% off.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion