Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-11-2018, 16:15   #1
Mtk2018

Dublin neighbouring towns - where would you buy

Hi, if you had a choice to buy in Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Louth any of Dublin neighbouring counties or towns , where would you buy and why?
Budget= 310K
Max acceptable commute time = 1.10 hours to Dublin city center
Thank you for any feedback
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-11-2018, 16:24   #2
Peter File

how are you going to commute? Public transport or car.
(3) thanks from:
16-11-2018, 16:26   #3
Baybay

Maybe cast an eye on Daft or something like it first to see how far your budget will stretch in some of these towns & see if your requirements are met.
Thanks from:
16-11-2018, 16:46   #4
tigger123

Never lived in it, but always liked Naas. It's a big enough town while feeling quite quaint at the same time.

I remember driving through it on a Friday afternoon a few months ago and there was a lovely buzz around the place.
(2) thanks from:
16-11-2018, 16:52   #5
Amirani

Kildare: I think the Kildare options have the most going for them, particularly Maynooth and Naas. Both are large enough in their own right and have a bit going on there, particularly weekends. They also both have access to trains, which is handy.

Wicklow: Greystones I also like, but this is likely to be priced similar to Dublin I think. The other Wicklow options feel a bit far away, and their train service is crap.

Meath: the only really place of scale of Maynooth/Naas I think is Navan, which is a good bit further away and doesn't have a train. The other Meath towns don't really interest me much.

Louth: Dundalk definitely too far away. Not a huge fan of Drogheda.
Advertisement
16-11-2018, 16:55   #6
Ray Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter File View Post
how are you going to commute? Public transport or car.
Sounds like he is expecting some sort of teleportation. It takes an hour from a Dublin suburb to get to the city centre in rush hour
16-11-2018, 16:58   #7
DamoKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtk2018 View Post
Hi, if you had a choice to buy in Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Louth any of Dublin neighbouring counties or towns , where would you buy and why?
Budget= 310K
Max acceptable commute time = 1.10 hours to Dublin city center
Thank you for any feedback
If you're happy with a train commute would be in Connolly from Drogheda in 40min. Quick look on daft, first house was this a 4 bed Victorian house -> https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for...louth-1936686/ for 250K.

Don't live in Drogheda itself but we moved up that way from Dublin city a few years back so in there once every few months. It's a nice town, friendly vibe (apart from the recent goings on in the news!).

Have to say I love it up here, we're right on the coast but only 15 min from Swords on the M1 plus two big retail parks in Drogheda itself
(2) thanks from:
16-11-2018, 17:02   #8
Richard Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Palmer View Post
Sounds like he is expecting some sort of teleportation. It takes an hour from a Dublin suburb to get to the city centre in rush hour
Incorrect.

I currently live in Leixlip. It’s very commutable by public transport within an hour, even at rush hour.

It’s not a bad place to live either..... the past 24 hours excepted!
(4) thanks from:
16-11-2018, 17:02   #9
Moonbeam

Maynooth is my favourite of those areas . It is definitely worth a look.
Advertisement
16-11-2018, 17:12   #10
Redneck Culchie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Maynooth is my favourite of those areas . It is definitely worth a look.
I would agree with the suggestions of Maynooth. It's a really nice town and not far from Dublin. I enjoyed my time living there, if I had the money to buy a house I would buy there if feasible. Just looked up there, not that much on Daft on a 310k budget but still a few houses under that.
(2) thanks from:
16-11-2018, 17:16   #11
Dick Swiveller
Banned

Maynooth is a nice town with plenty of amenities, and any supermarket you could want. There is one very bad housing estate but apart from that one the estates are all good.
Thanks from:
16-11-2018, 18:07   #12
Samuel T. Cogley

70 minute commute - does that include walking too and from the station and hanging around waiting for the train? Takes me about 45 minutes to get home door to door and I live in Dublin 5.
(3) thanks from:
16-11-2018, 18:14   #13
L1011

Maynooth is phenomenally expensive for what you get.

Very generic housing, lots of it very badly built 1993->crash. Town is full of restaurants, mostly forgettable. Some good shops at least. The public transport frequency and capacity is improving - but not the end to end time.

Some minor antisocial behaviour in some estates and you could end up beside a horror student house in any estate
Thanks from:
16-11-2018, 19:05   #14
Redneck Culchie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Maynooth is phenomenally expensive for what you get.

Very generic housing, lots of it very badly built 1993->crash. Town is full of restaurants, mostly forgettable. Some good shops at least. The public transport frequency and capacity is improving - but not the end to end time.

Some minor antisocial behaviour in some estates and you could end up beside a horror student house in any estate
Many of the sub 300k houses on there seem to be in student estates, such as Beaufield. Some of those are questionable quality. It's quite an expensive place to live these days, but it's probably the nicest and safest town I've lived in.
(2) thanks from:
16-11-2018, 19:10   #15
Redneck Culchie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirani View Post
Kildare: I think the Kildare options have the most going for them, particularly Maynooth and Naas. Both are large enough in their own right and have a bit going on there, particularly weekends. They also both have access to trains, which is handy.

Wicklow: Greystones I also like, but this is likely to be priced similar to Dublin I think. The other Wicklow options feel a bit far away, and their train service is crap.

Meath: the only really place of scale of Maynooth/Naas I think is Navan, which is a good bit further away and doesn't have a train. The other Meath towns don't really interest me much.

Louth: Dundalk definitely too far away. Not a huge fan of Drogheda.

To throw in a few more what about

Wicklow: Bray

Meath: Ashbourne, Ratoath, Dunboyne, Dunshaughlin

Don't think there is too much available in Bray, probably out of price range with right beside South Dublin.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion