Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2019, 13:17   #121
MayBea

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyCushion View Post
If one person is working around Heuston and the other around George's Dock then I wouldn't live in Sandyford. They'd be better off any where living on the red line than Sandyford. There's plenty of places along there where you'd get a 4 bed for a lot less than 600K. You could also live somewhere on the DART line.
I'm not familiar with the areas around red luas line, but I doubt you get a 4-bed in a private estate for €310k (down for correction) in any of them, same for Dart line.
Where would you recommend to buy to a person who has €310k and works in IFSC?
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 13:27   #122
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyoaty0099 View Post
I think where exactly you work in town makes a massive difference. Down around heuston etc you're absolutely golden. If you have to go in to docklands or the ifsc it gets so much worse.
Very true, that last leg of the journey from Hueston to IFSC is an absolute killer. While it is only about 3km it is painfully slow and thats if you can even get on a Luas in the first place. Dublin badly needs Dart Underground to finally properly link Hueston-Tara-Pearse with a fast and frequent rail link. Instead what we have is a railway netork that isnt connected adequately to get you where you actually need to be. The Red Line Luas is long over capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawwed Rig View Post
A fold up bicycle would be the answer there. If I was living in any of the places mentioned where you had to deal with traffic I would be getting a motorbike fairly quickly. Life is too short for long commutes.
If I were doing that last leg Hueston to IFSC then a bicycle is the only way to go. You would easily cover that distance in 12 minutes on a bicycle at peak whereas with the Luas at peak it is anybodys guess and there is no guarantee you will be able to get on the first Luas that shows up. Cycling gives you more certainity and consistency on how long it will take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdaniel2014 View Post
Ideally, your best off not working in Dublin city centre at all. Hard obviously because that's were the most jobs are
Have a couple of friends who gave up jobs in the CC when they began commuting from Wicklow. They found the slog too hard, some days it was taking 1.5 hours into the city and the same again on the way home. Instead they got jobs in Sandyford area, wages are slightly less but they are infinitely happy with a much easier commute.

Last edited by Muahahaha; 11-01-2019 at 13:31.
11-01-2019, 13:33   #123
MayBea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sono View Post
people say where they bought and say it takes x amount of time to get into the city, I would say this is probably not completely true and no one has mentioned the annoyance the daily commute causes them every day.
Not sure if this remark is about me quoting the journey time? it can be obtained from the web (irish rail & luas)
Partially agree about commute.
11-01-2019, 13:57   #124
jacdaniel2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sono View Post
There is nothing wrong with living in any town outside of Dublin whatsoever I’m sure a lot of them are lovely places and people are quite happy with their decision to live there.

The thing is when someone comes on and looking for advice to buy outside of Dublin and people say where they bought and say it takes x amount of time to get into the city, I would say this is probably not completely true and no one has mentioned the annoyance the daily commute causes them every day.

It all comes down to how much a person values time, to me personally it is very important but may not be for others I guess.
Money is more of a factor than not valuing time.
3.5 times of most people's salaries doesn't get you a house in Dublin. Not a decent one anyways.
11-01-2019, 14:56   #125
AlmightyCushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBea View Post
I'm not familiar with the areas around red luas line, but I doubt you get a 4-bed in a private estate for €310k (down for correction) in any of them, same for Dart line.
Where would you recommend to buy to a person who has €310k and works in IFSC?
I don't know if you would to be honest. Probably not.

I probably should have quoted your other comment as it was more relevant to that.

Quote:
It's 16 mins from heuston to george's dock, I just googled it. Overall it's 35 mins + 5 min walk + 16 minutes = 56 minutes . Considering you paid €310k for a 4 bed detached house I think it is really good.
As an example I live close to Sandyford Luas st (very much in Dublin) and takes me 45 minutes by luas to get to George's dock.
So, 56 minutes can go down to 45 for an additional €300k (4 bed starts from 600k in my area).
They can shave 10 minutes or more without spending an extra 300k. If you live somewhere on the red line or the DART line, they would have a quicker commute than from Kildare and Sandyford without spending 600k on a 4 bed.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 14:58   #126

Tbf lot of places on the red line you wouldn't want to be raising a family.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 15:02   #127
AlmightyCushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyoaty0099 View Post
Tbf lot of places on the red line you wouldn't want to be raising a family.
I also said the DART line.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 17:00   #128
Goose76

Just a couple observations:

obviously obviously obviously commute is a major factor when buying a house but ultimately I think people should just focus on trying to get the nicest house possible that they can afford, in an area that they like and in an area that they would be willing to raise children in one day. Jobs change, locations of jobs change. What may be do-able or even ideal from a commute perspective now may be a non-starter in a few years time if you were to change job.

Train schedules nad bus routes etc etc are changing all the time, some for better, some for worse - would you really want to buy a house just because it was convenient for one bus or one train timetable that may change at any time? For a job location you may not permanently be in? someone mentioned choosing Newbridge over Leixlip earlier because the train to Newbridge can be faster and more convenient. If that were the only reason someone bought in Newbridge over Leixlip then I would have alarm bells ringing - a change to that train schedule and all of a sudden you may find yourself majorly questioning your decision.

as someone who's moving from a 30 minute walkable commute to a 1.5 hour bus/walk commute in the near future, I am not trying to diminish the significance of a commute when buying a home. I just think a long term approach should be taken - you may not be doing that same commute forever, for a multiple number of reasons. Try buy in an area with multiple transport links - going west and south too - some more jobs opening up in towns outside of Dublin these days.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 17:27   #129
Sono

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBea View Post
Not sure if this remark is about me quoting the journey time? it can be obtained from the web (irish rail & luas)
Partially agree about commute.
Not aimed at you at all, obviously everyone’s circumstances are different, most of us will work 9-5 or thereabouts and this is the crucial time for most.

Some of the suggestions for commute are bloody horrific and I would seriously question people’s happiness doing this journey day in day out.

I would also question the financial savings also but that’s just my views on it...
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 17:42   #130
sheroman01

Surprised Enfield wasn't mentioned. Decent town, close to bigger shopping areas if needed and 50 minutes train journey to Connolly.
11-01-2019, 20:41   #131
Dr_Kolossus

Not sure if mentioned, ratoath meath. Nice area I get to work driving to train then 35 mins train. I work in ifsc, is 1 hour door to door. If u live near the Ashbourne connect bus stop is a bit quicker
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 20:54   #132
starbaby2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose76 View Post
Just a couple observations:

obviously obviously obviously commute is a major factor when buying a house but ultimately I think people should just focus on trying to get the nicest house possible that they can afford, in an area that they like and in an area that they would be willing to raise children in one day. Jobs change, locations of jobs change. What may be do-able or even ideal from a commute perspective now may be a non-starter in a few years time if you were to change job.

Train schedules nad bus routes etc etc are changing all the time, some for better, some for worse - would you really want to buy a house just because it was convenient for one bus or one train timetable that may change at any time? For a job location you may not permanently be in? someone mentioned choosing Newbridge over Leixlip earlier because the train to Newbridge can be faster and more convenient. If that were the only reason someone bought in Newbridge over Leixlip then I would have alarm bells ringing - a change to that train schedule and all of a sudden you may find yourself majorly questioning your decision.

as someone who's moving from a 30 minute walkable commute to a 1.5 hour bus/walk commute in the near future, I am not trying to diminish the significance of a commute when buying a home. I just think a long term approach should be taken - you may not be doing that same commute forever, for a multiple number of reasons. Try buy in an area with multiple transport links - going west and south too - some more jobs opening up in towns outside of Dublin these days.
I would disagree people way underestimate how much of a negative effect a commute has on them. By and large if people change jobs they will remain in the city. This is where the competition is. For the majority moving outside the city will involve a pay cut. A mortgage is nearly always a depreciating cost, commuting costs on the other hand you can be certain will increase. I prefer the old advice, Buy the worst house in the best area you can.
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 03:21   #133
Sonny678

Im surprised people having mentioned Dunboyne more. Very quite , very safe area. A nice town with friendly atmosphere and with great schools , newly built train stations and ur very close to the Navan Road and Blanchardstown shopping centre. ( less then 10 mins away from Blanchardstown shopping centre). Similar kind of town to Maynooth but just smaller, just less busier and less nicer restaurants. But in North kildare/ South Meath area Maynooth and Dunboyne wud be the best places. Houses here will always be worth something. The most expensive per acre of agricultural land sold in the last 5 years in every year in the whole country outside Dublin was around Maynooth and Dunboyne. The whole area has good standard of living. I remeber Vincent Browne when he went on tv show tour of every consistency. He always had stats on every consistency. And he said outside Dublin , the area of South Meath had the highest living standard, wealthiest rural area and surrounding areas in the country. If u go for Ratoath Ashbourne Dunshaughlin Kilcock Leixlip or Celbridge you wouldnt go to wrong. But Maynooth wud be best followed by Dunboyne.

Last edited by Sonny678; 12-01-2019 at 03:29.
12-01-2019, 16:48   #134
handlemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroman01 View Post
Surprised Enfield wasn't mentioned. Decent town, close to bigger shopping areas if needed and 50 minutes train journey to Connolly.

will we call it an hour ?
12-01-2019, 18:26   #135
elizunia87

I am following the subject but what about those who can afford the house up to 225? It is easy to give advice if you have 300 and more to buy the house. WE have 225 and we need desperately place to buy.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion