Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favorite rolling tobacco?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Amber leaf, it smells kinda funny but I like it! the little square packs are handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Golden Virginia first, amber leaf/drum if there is none in stock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

De Morian from ALDI in Germany.
    Why?
    Cause it's E3.40 for 40g, I usually bring 20-40 packages home with me.
    I actually got to like it a lot.
    Skins?
    Only Rizla blue. Green and red are cardboard, Swan blue are alright but not my favourite and anything else just gets shoved to the back of the drawer as emergency papers, cause in a pinch any paper is better than none.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

SteoL wrote: »
    What's a humidor, if you don't mind my asking Old Goat, and where would one acquire one. I sometimes receive Drum (or its Spanish equivalent "Domingo") and find it can be very dry so presumably it's something which would rectify this.:o
    Humidors are ceder wood boxes with very tight fitting lids. temperature doesn't affect tobaccos much but humidity does. With a humidor you can regulate the humidity to 70-80% which is approximatively the range of humidity of the tobacco producing countries. Keeping your tobaccos in the humidor maintains it at the moisture level you prefer. You can adjust the humility levels to suit your tastes.
    They are available online and in cigar shops. As I have one for my cigars I keep my tin of pipe tobacco in there too. You don't have to get the full sized deluxe makes for rolling tobacco - a plastic 'travel' humidor would work well.
    http://www.buzzillions.com/humidor-reviews
    http://stores.cigarsolutions.com/-strse-67/Cigar-Caddy-5-cigar/Detail.bok

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Do they sell cutters choice in normal shops like spar, centra etc? i've heard good things about it but couldn't find it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Laisurg wrote: »
    Do they sell cutters choice in normal shops like spar, centra etc? i've heard good things about it but couldn't find it anywhere.

They do indeed, it was the first one I saw so the first one I tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

My personal favourite is Port Royal (mellowed with rum and wine), but it's not available over here. So smooth and such a mellow pleasant taste. You would almost eat handfuls of the stuff when the smell of a freshly opened packet hits you.

port.royal.original.50g.jpg

Of the commonly available commercial rolling tobaccos over here Cutters Choice would be my preference by a long way but unfortunately it's pretty hit and miss which shops it will be in, so my fall back is usually Golden Virginia as it's in every single shop and it's probably the best of the rest.

In terms of papers, when I can get them I use Raw translucent papers but most of the time settle for blue Swan or Rizla.

Can't stand Drum, don't know how anyone smokes the stuff. In other countries where the prices aren't set to be the same for all products Drum tends to be the cheapest you can buy anywhere. There is a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Crapcom wrote: »
    My favoriteIMG_0050_1.jpg

This! Got some when I was in Holland a couple of months back, wish I had brought some more home.!

Other than that its Golden Virginia all the way with green rizla and filters.
    I'd like to try some of this American Spirit that everyone is raving about but haven't been able to find it in Dublin yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Golden Viginia for me , rolling my own a while now , tried drum (duma) and samson found it a bit twiggy and dry , cutters choice is ok along with amber leaf , was meaning to take a trip into that smoking shop across from trinity college to try some new brand as a little treat for myself.

as for papers rizzla green all the way ,Filters !!! what are they .:D

almanu wrote: »
    as for papers rizzla green all the way ,

Rizla Green?:eek:
    Cardboard! Rizla Blue FTW!:p
    Actually like drier tobaccos meself, I'm a strong roller and tend to compress the tobacco into a solid stick and render it unsmokable, so need something dry that has to be rolled at 5 tons/sq cm. :cool:

• Advertisement

Rizla Green?:eek:
    Cardboard! Rizla Blue FTW!:p
    Actually like drier tobaccos meself, I'm a strong roller and tend to compress the tobacco into a solid stick and render it unsmokable, so need something dry that has to be rolled at 5 tons/sq cm. :cool:

Blue Rizla strictly for the fine green tobacco of Jah, i find Blue Rizla turn a brownish black when im smoking Golden Virginia , i dont know if its the same with other brands , im also a loose roller so that could be a factor.

almanu wrote: »
    Blue Rizla strictly for the fine green tobacco of Jah, i find Blue Rizla turn a brownish black when im smoking Golden Virginia , i dont know if its the same with other brands , im also a loose roller so that could be a factor.

Though having said that I'm currently experimenting with a bumper pack of "no name" blue papers from a E2 shop.
    They're not bad, but they had to save money and the way they did that was to use the amount of glue usually to be found in a pack of 50 skins and spread it across 10 packs of skins.
    So you can only just about breathe on the paper to moisten, because if you lick it, all the glue comes off and your fag disintegrates.
    The ones that do stick are OK, but I'm going back to Rizlas, so far I have never found another brand as good no matter what color.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Demosthenes

Would have to put the Cutters Choice as number one; its always fairly consistent, not too harsh, not too bitter.

2nd Golden Virginia; nice tobacco but can give a very 'hot' smoke especially if its not just a rolly

3rd Amber Leaf or Drum Light not a huge difference between the two i find

Van Nelle is perhaps one of the nicest ive smoked ever but not readily available in ireland
    Drum is total conya in my opinion, too much stalk, harsh smoke....
    Samson and Old Holborn i wouldnt be very partial towards either
    Javanese Jongens and Black Bear i tried once each and both were very nice

Got a fat 55g bag of John Player Special: Black in Holland and SH1T was it the strongest stuff ive ever bought...my whole hotel room stank from just opening the bag....one rolly was like 5-10 normal ones it was lethal stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

I'm a fairly loose roller but I've really grown to love green Rizla for skins. I dunno about all these 'cardboard' comments but then again, I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to smokin' rollies.
    Tobaccos:

1. Golden Virginia (just great stuff)
    2. Drum (Not a huge fan)
    3. Amber Leaf (Smokable, but pretty poor overall. Not a patch on GV for flavour.)

quick question , is a tobacco pouch an in a leather one a good idea.

back on topic , Golden Virginia for me with green Rizla"s:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

I always found that dark blue Drum is the only tobacco I can smoke consistently. The downside is the amount of un-rollable, un-smokable twigs per pack.
    Old Holborn is nice too but has that fruity twang that I tend to get sick of.

What's yer favorite? I'd love some suggestions for branching out :pac:

What an absolute filthy habit, people who smoke now just look like Aliens. You smell and reek of tobacco, do yourself and your friends a favor and give them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

On the subject of tobacco in general, An Uncle of mine smokes Velvet Plug, in a pipe. Its €15 a pouch, and he chews a bit as well. He tells me its only available in one shop that gets it especially in for him. His shopkeepers, wholesalers, had to order it in!

I tried google images for a pic but there is none available.

What an absolute filthy habit, people who smoke now just look like Aliens. You smell and reek of tobacco, do yourself and your friends a favor and give them up!

is this against the tread rules mod, racist to aliens at least:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tail Wagger - read the forum charter.
    Others - please use the Report Post button.

Thanks,

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Well firstly I'd like to apologizes to ET, because I was referring to a space creature as in Alien, but there are some people who scroll the boards looking for silly little mistakes to report people.

The world is changing fast Spaceman!

• Advertisement

Well firstly I'd like to apologizes to ET, because I was referring to a space creature as in Alien, but there are some people who scroll the boards looking for silly little mistakes to report people.

1221615420504.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Your mistake wasn't silly or little. It was in direct contravention of the forums charter and deliberately antagonistic.
    You are likening forum users to aliens for reporting your post. Thats a tad immature. Wonder if you are over 18 as there is an age limit on this forum.

Have a short ban from the forum. If when the ban is up and you feel you have something that the users of this forum will show an interest in and that is not in contravention of the charter then you'll be welcome back.
    Maintain your adversarial stance and I'll ban you from the forum for good.
    If you feel I've been harsh with this bit of moderation then there is a link to the dispute resolution procedure in my signature.
    Bye for now.

Copy of above PM'd to TailWagger

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

So I just bought a pouch of Samson for the first time. I love it! It's a very smooth smoke. Not too moist, not too dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

If I'm out of Samson, I'll get a 12.5 box of Amber Leaf to tide me over. Bought a box last night and instead of the foil wrapped tobacco, it now comes in a mini pouch. Anyone else see these yet? Seems to taste different, dryer & with some sort of strange flavour, was not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

cutters choice is my fave dont mind golden virginia when there (usually) out of cutters, amber leaf/drum are my least fave, ive a bit of a theory on the brands mate of mine smokes marlboro red in cigs and loves drum dark blue or light blue, i smoke marlboro gold or silk cut purple and perfer cutters so maybe its to do with what strength of smoke ur used to... i just know the other tobbaco brands cut the throat of me and agree most of the suff in the boxes are usually twiggy but the price is good with the skins included

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Anyone here bought baccy online?.... legally of course ;).

looking to invest in a few packs,if anyones intersted in going halves,splitting postage etc?

Doublin wrote: »
    If I'm out of Samson, I'll get a 12.5 box of Amber Leaf to tide me over. Bought a box last night and instead of the foil wrapped tobacco, it now comes in a mini pouch. Anyone else see these yet? Seems to taste different, dryer & with some sort of strange flavour, was not impressed.

about time they got rid of the foil paper wrapped job , personally i hated it , tobacco use to end up everywhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

This post has been deleted.

The packet is alot handier alright, just I had to have a glass of water after a smoke as my mouth/throat got very dry after one..

No haven't noticed a shortage, but I only buy maybe one box a week. Around here there are some shops that just never got the 12.5g Amber Leaf in, not sure why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

thebullkf wrote: »
    Anyone here bought baccy online?.... legally of course ;).

looking to invest in a few packs,if anyones intersted in going halves,splitting postage etc?
    There is an entire thread dedicated to buying online. Use that one instesd of taking this one off-topic.

HB

Advertisement