Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Which cake?!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Lornen wrote: »
    Which cake?!

Sorry, the white royal cake. That's just about the most important commission you can get. Loads of companies offer cakes. I saw one for some royal anniversary years ago and it was really perfect, not a thing wrong. The piping is very amateurish in the close up photos, and there's a sort of uneveness to the work. There's typically an unbelievably huge amount of hours gone into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Have been so busy lately I havent been baking in about 5 wks...all will change at the wkend as im doing a X-box cake for a communnion :) I did try out a snickers cheese cake (not technically baking) at wkend and it was yum!
    cant wait to get baking again :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Made some cupcakes last night, but was so busy making dinner as well that I forgot to put the baking powder in :rolleyes: They actually rose ok in the end, but it was not fun waiting for them to cook, to see of I had flat biccies instead of cupcakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Cake and cupcakes I made for a friends daughters communion at the weekend..

Lorna2.jpg

Lorna.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Am so jealous at the skill looking at all the lovely decorated cakes, it's the one thing I can't do except for simple things like blobbing icing onto stuff and blobbing something on top of that.

My first attempt at black forest cupcakes, they turned out ok but there are about 5 things I'd do differently next time including not over whipping the cream, putting the cherry on last so it doesn't get covered in the choc..which should be choc curls not chopped choc..I got lazy. Would of preffered fresh cherry on top as well.

I do have a big bottle of Kirsch that I brought back from last trip to Germany though so it's pretty black foresty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

They look very tasty Sigma, lovely idea for a cupcake!

And as for the revisions, that's the only way anyone improves, and with baking the more revisions the tastier!:)

P.S...can I have one?

Xbox cake i made for a very special boy's communion!Xboxcontrollercake-1-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kenichi66

Xbox cake i made for a very special boy's communion!Xboxcontrollercake-1-1.jpg

Wow ! I want to eat it XD

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Cake and cupcakes I made for a friends daughters communion at the weekend..

Lorna2.jpg

Tilly. just wondering what icing you used for the brown icing??

My little brother made his communion there 2 weeks ago.
    Mum made the cake and cupcakes! :)

The top cake was a chocolate sponge cake filled with homemade chocolate mousse. The second, larger cake was a vanilla sponge filled with rasperry sauce and homemade vanilla bean frosting.
    The cupcakes were vanilla cupcakes with a two tone homemade vanilla buttercream frosting

161287.jpg

161288.jpg

161289.jpg

That cake is gorgeous Lornen, much more traditional than my FHC cake :P
    I want to try out the 2-tone icing aswell soon, was it difficult?

That cake is gorgeous Lornen, much more traditional than my FHC cake :P
    I want to try out the 2-tone icing aswell soon, was it difficult?

Thank you! The quilted effect on the top cake was actually painful to witness being done. My mother redid it several times as she wasn't happy with it! :pac:

It's tricky enough and requires a little bit of practicing, I think mum's still trying to perfect her technique but everyone has their ways of getting it to work for them. I don't know how exactly mum does it but I know it took some figuring out! Tricky business getting the frosting into the piping bag without them mixing too soon and all that.
    If you give it a go do let us know how you fair! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Tilly. just wondering what icing you used for the brown icing??

Hiya I just made up a batch of butter icing, half was mixed with 70% chocolate and the other with white choc and coloured pink!

Lornen that cake is fantastic :D I have been meaning to try the two tone icing. Might do a few extra cupcakes this weekend for us and try it then!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've done two-toned icing for a Split Personality ball before. The pictures aren't great - they're not as small as they look!:

Photo0105.jpg

Photo0106.jpg

I have it on my blog, but I'll just copy and paste how I did it here:

Next I made a blue and white icing. It involved making a large batch of icing, splitting it in half, and dying one half blue. Next, I attempted a technique I'd never tried before. I wanted to have the one icing swirl with two colours. So the question was: How do I get two colours of icing into the one bag, keeping them separate? After a lot of research, I eventually found a solution. I laid a square piece of clingfilm on the counter. I spooned half of one colour into the middle, and folded it over. I rolled the clingfilm so it was cigar shaped, and twisted one end shut, leaving the other end open. I did the same with the other colour, so I had two cylinders of icing, open at one end. I put them both in the icing bag together, and poked and prodded until they were about even. I squeezed the icing until both colours came out simultaneously, and off I went. I then repeated the whole show with pink and purple colours. It was insanely time consuming! But my god was I happy with them when they were done :D.

I also made half-chocolate-half-vanilla cupcakes:

Photo0107.jpg

Chocolate and orange cupcakes with orange buttercream frosting finished with a chocolate orange segment.

Had a little tiff with a friend and was in a baking mood so after work today I just made these. :)
    Baking fixes everything! :pac:

161362.jpg

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hiya I just made up a batch of butter icing, half was mixed with 70% chocolate and the other with white choc and coloured pink!

Lornen that cake is fantastic :D I have been meaning to try the two tone icing. Might do a few extra cupcakes this weekend for us and try it then!

Thanks, i loved how dark the brown turned out, yes def need to give the two tone a go soon.

Faith thanks for the instructions, yours turned out fab!

Lemon cupcake stuffed with a homemade lemon mousse, topped with white chocolate and vanilla bean frosting and white chocolate curls

161730.JPG

Chocolate and orange cupcake, topped with fresh orange buttercream frosting, finished with a Terry's Chocolate Orange segment.

161731.JPG

Cute little cupcake boxes but ridiculously expensive! Will be looking out for a cheaper alternative next time anyway! 0.0

161732.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Baker8609

de for my lil cousins 18th :)
    CIMG4111.jpg

• Advertisement

@Baker8609 that's really cute and the cupcakes are lovely!

Colours are fab on the fondant & cupcakes, is the fondant pre-coloured or did you mix from white & colouring? I must invest in pre-coloured fondant, i know it will make my life much easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I must invest in pre-coloured fondant, i know it will make my life much easier :D

And it will make your cakes much more expensive too :)

Finally I got some spare time to post several pictures of my recent cakes.

A big Christening cake for a lovely little boy.
    011ebde119e7.jpg

The First Communion cake.
    a6362c2c4a48.jpg

Ladybird Cake for the local girl-scout group
    996fff596207.jpg

The rest of he photos are still in the camera. I will take them out too. Sometime. Probably :)

OMG Dream C you've out done yourself those cakes are fab! Are the teddies on the Christening cake handmade? So jealous of your talent. The writing on the book is so neat I can't even write by hand that neat lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Sigma you can get Tappit cutters (and others) to help you do lettering like that, there's loads of different styles, they give lovely clean simple text when you want something other than handwriting/piping.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Sigma, thanks. For the teddies I used a mould for polymer clay. And the letters are the set of cutters (JEM).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

DreamC, getting better all the time!

My first time doing an Anniversary cake, and 1st attempt at Roses!
    AnniversaryCake.jpg

And the first Giant cupcake i've dont for an adult's bday.
    Giant30.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ninky

wow!such beautiful cakes!

showgirlrita: hope you don't mind my asking but how did you get the grooves on the side of the giant cupcake case?i tried covering a giant cupcake once but it was really difficult, even without that effect..

• Advertisement

ninky wrote: »
    wow!such beautiful cakes!

showgirlrita: hope you don't mind my asking but how did you get the grooves on the side of the giant cupcake case?i tried covering a giant cupcake once but it was really difficult, even without that effect..

Thank you Ninky. Not at all,sure everything ive learned has come from the internet,other ppls tips,you tube etc so im happy to help.
    I have the silicone mold & i coated the inside of it with melted choc,leave it to set in the fridge,coat again/set and then carefully peel the mold down from the top to the bottom.usually 2 layers works fine depending on the thickness but if you want to be extra sure do 3. Ive also used white choc with colouring & also works fine. Best of luck!

Advertisement