Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent increases when someone moves out

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Curious1002, please dial down the tone of your posts please. The goading is unnecessary and unwelcome.

Keep in mind there is nothing like enough information posted to ascertain the OPs position. You have no idea whether the OP is actually renting a room, is a joint tenant or something else. If you guess wrong, tenants might find themselves on the wrong side of an eviction notice. Don't do it.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I lived in a shared accommodation and we ourselves were replacing the outgoing tenant but under no circumstances we were liable for their rent if there was a week/month break in finding the replacement.
    Were you renting the room, or part of a lease for the house? It sounds like you had the former, whilst the OP has the latter. Unfortunately, without a lease the OP won't know if they are due to pay the rent or not.

OP; do you pay the rent to the landlord, or the "head tenant"?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mariahol

the_syco wrote: »
    Were you renting the room, or part of a lease for the house? It sounds like you had the former, whilst the OP has the latter. Unfortunately, without a lease the OP won't know if they are due to pay the rent or not.

OP; do you pay the rent to the landlord, or the "head tenant"?

I pay the rent to the head tenant and she transfers it to the landlord. I have never met the landlord. She told the head tennant that she is to do all advertising, interviewing possible tenants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Mariahol wrote: »
    I pay the rent to the head tenant and she transfers it to the landlord. I have never met the landlord. She told the head tennant that she is to do all advertising, interviewing possible tenants etc.

Has the head tenant been looking for a replacement for the other tenant yet? She gave a fair bit of notice that she was leaving didn't she?
    What's on your lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mariahol

Meeoow wrote: »
    Has the head tenant been looking for a replacement for the other tenant yet? She gave a fair bit of notice that she was leaving didn't she?
    What's on your lease?

Yes it has been advertised since the start of december. I havnt seen the lease or know if there is one I signed nothing moving in and nobody else had either. The advert is for a single room to rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Mariahol wrote: »
    Yes it has been advertised since the start of december. I havnt seen the lease or know if there is one I signed nothing moving in and nobody else had either. The advert is for a single room to rent

Ask your landlord for a copy. Note that there is no requirement for the lease to be written, but it does make life easier, and clearer for all concerned.

You don't have to sign a lease for one to exist. There is an 'implied lease' which provides all of the protections of an actual, physical lease, under the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). It is to stop unscrupulous landlords from not providing leases as a means to bypass the Act.

However, that might mean SFA to you, depending on the living arrangements. If you were paying the head tenant, who in turn was paying the landlord, then you are not covered by the provisions of the RTA. You are a licencee, and have the same rights as someone who's sleeping on the sofa after a house party.

You and the other housemate have, essentially, been fcuked over by the one who left. They should have found someone to take over their portion or regularised the situation with the rent.

I'd tread carefully. The best solution, in the medium to long term, is to get the other room rented ASAP (covering the rent between yourselves until then) and request a lease. I'd request a separate lease for your room plus equal share of the common areas, if you want some sort of security.

The landlord may refuse, as is their right. They may jack up the rent, based on where the property is and how long ago they last increased it. They could, legally, throw all your sh1t out into the front lawn and change the locks, if the lease was with the old head tenant and you and the other one are licencees.

The other option is to have one lease and you all sign it. But if this happens again, and your other housemate fecks off without saying anything, you're now responsible for the whole rent. It's much less hassle for the landlord to go this route, but it carries significant risk as well, so be prepared to stand up for yourself. You would all be joint and severally liable for the rent, not to mention any other damage that could be inflicted, so it's in your best interests to look out for numero uno.

Bottom line: Get the landlord's number, sit down and have a chat with them and see what they have to say. Get a lease sorted ASAP. Get the other room rented out even quicker than ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

<MOD SNIP>

Advertisement