Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP

• 12-09-2019 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi just looking for opinions on how to go about this please.

I’ve a viewing for an apartment this eve and work full time and I’m entitled to HAP.

I’m just wondering how do I go about mentioning this to the agency, at the viewing or after?

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just tell them straight out, they can’t refuse you because you are receiving HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

Dav010 wrote: »
    Just tell them straight out, they can’t refuse you because you are receiving HAP.

I would say wait until they get offered the place in writing. They can't admit to making their decision based on hap but they probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Get the place first, then drop the H bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

But the can find another reason to refuse you if you do admit to HAP. Or maybe just say it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

But the can find another reason to refuse you if you do admit to HAP. Or maybe just say it is gone.

One rental I looked at; lady was great until I said the dread words.. then excuses started after black looks and I got an email; " rent allowance does not suit my husband and I" . meaning HAP.

The house was not great so I did not follow it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭sk8board

HAP landlord here -
    I’d tell them, they may already be a HAP LL.

the biggest issue most LLs have with HAP is the knowledge gap of what it actually entails - it’s quite a long and VERY probing process (3.5 months in my case from application stamped received by council to having rent in my account - April 10th - Jul 28th). That wasn’t unduly slow either, it’s taking 8+ weeks to process claims, and then they missed the June payment run and had to wait to next month.

The risk the LL has is that if you stop paying the council, the council immediately cut the landlord payments loose.

People refusing HAP aren’t necessarily all discriminating against you either - there’s a large list of banking, tax and LTP proofs required - so if someone isn’t fully (and I mean FULLY) legit, they can’t touch HAP even if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

youandme13 wrote: »
    Hi just looking for opinions on how to go about this please.

I’ve a viewing for an apartment this eve and work full time and I’m entitled to HAP.

I’m just wondering how do I go about mentioning this to the agency, at the viewing or after?

Thanks a mill!

If a LL doesnt want to take HAP, he will just rent it to someone else if the area is high demand. LL will have many options. Its not discrimination to take another person whom one thinks is a more reliable tenant (that tenant could be on HAP too) - v hard to prove.

LL who directly refuse HAP and put it in writing dont know the law very well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve taking it in the past. On the basis that the standard terms of the lease are adhered too and that is the rent is paid on the first for the coming month. So they have to pay it till Hap kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Shinsen

Hello.
    I have been accepted on Hap, now it's just a matter of receiving the forms on the post.
    At first I felt happy about it, but then I've started having nightmares. What if when I ask the landlord to sign, he'll refuse? Or even worse, he changes the key lock and worst of my nightmares, he throws all my stuff away and I cannot access the property either?
    I live on my own, I am very scared.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Shinsen wrote: »
    Hello.
    I have been accepted on Hap, now it's just a matter of receiving the forms on the post.
    At first I felt happy about it, but then I've started having nightmares. What if when I ask the landlord to sign, he'll refuse? Or even worse, he changes the key lock and worst of my nightmares, he throws all my stuff away and I cannot access the property either?

All of the above is illegal. It most likely will not happen.

• Advertisement

Hello.

The chances of that happening are remote. The LL cannot legally refuse HAP, but there can be issues with compliance, for instance the condition of the property and whether it meets the required standards, and whether the LL can provide a tax clearance certificate. Also, remember, HAP is paid in arrears so you will have to continue paying full rent until the payment starts being lodged on the LLs account.

The chances of that happening are remote. The LL cannot legally refuse HAP, but there can be issues with compliance, for instance the condition of the property and whether it meets the required standards, and whether the LL can provide a tax clearance certificate. Also, remember, HAP is paid in arrears so you will have to continue paying full rent until the payment starts being lodged on the LLs account.

Thank you for your answer.
    This reassured me on one side, but quite worried me on the other.
    Where I live now is temporary. A friend of mine is renting me her holiday cottage while looking for a long term accommodation.
    At some stage I had to increase my budget in order to find something more suitable and decent. I was previously advised by Hap that landlords might refuse the scheme at first stage, so it's better to pay the deposit and the first month's rent. Once I'm in the house, they cannot refuse Hap.
    Having increased my budget, I can afford to pay the deposit and the first month, but I cannot keep paying the same amount for other months.
    I have called Hap office now and they told me that once the forms have been signed, I don't have to worry about it. Landlords will receive the money in arrears, but they'll get paid. I don't have to pay other full rents.

I’m a little unclear, does the HAP relate to your friend’s house that you are renting temporarily, or are you looking for a new place? I could be wrong, but I think HAP requires a 2 year contract.

My friend has nothing to do with this. She's helping me by allowing me to stay in her house while I am looking for a permanent accommodation.
    Hap didn't say anything about the two year contract. Anyway, most agencies ask to sign a one year contract at least. That's fine anyway for me. I want to find a nice place where I'm willing to stay even longer.

Thank you for your answer.
    This reassured me on one side, but quite worried me on the other.
    Where I live now is temporary. A friend of mine is renting me her holiday cottage while looking for a long term accommodation.
    At some stage I had to increase my budget in order to find something more suitable and decent. I was previously advised by Hap that landlords might refuse the scheme at first stage, so it's better to pay the deposit and the first month's rent. Once I'm in the house, they cannot refuse Hap.
    Having increased my budget, I can afford to pay the deposit and the first month, but I cannot keep paying the same amount for other months.
    I have called Hap office now and they told me that once the forms have been signed, I don't have to worry about it. Landlords will receive the money in arrears, but they'll get paid. I don't have to pay other full rents.

One thing to be aware of, your tenancy agreement will state rent is paid in advance, the HAP office can tell you what they want, if the rent is to be paid in advance on your lease, that is what will have to be done, otherwise you would be in arrears and the LL can legally issue you with a notice. Some LA will pay in advance apparently, but you will have to confirm this.

My friend has nothing to do with this. She's helping me by allowing me to stay in her house while I am looking for a permanent accommodation.
    Hap didn't say anything about the two year contract. Anyway, most agencies ask to sign a one year contract at least. That's fine anyway for me. I want to find a nice place where I'm willing to stay even longer.

Sorry, I deleted that post, read your op again and saw you were looking for a new place.

One thing to be aware of, your tenancy agreement will state rent is paid in advance, the HAP office can tell you what they want, if the rent is to be paid in advance on your lease, that is what will have to be done, otherwise you would be in arrears and the LL can legally issue you with a notice. Some LA will pay in advance apparently, but you will have to confirm this.

I'm supposing by the tone of your message that you are a landlord?

I'm supposing by the tone of your message that you are a landlord?

Actual words from the man in the Hap office "I wouldn't worry about it".
    Why would staff working in the Hap "can say all the want to say"? They work in a public office. I suppose (and I want to trust!) that the information that they give is correct.

Why would staff working in the Hap "can say all the want to say"? They work in a public office. I suppose (and I want to trust!) that the information that they give is correct.

All rental agreements are paid rent month in advance. Be sure to tell the landlord “not to worry about it” when he/she doesn’t receive it in advance. If paid in arrears, you will have to continue to pay until all paperwork is sorted out and first HAP payment comes through, this will then be taken by the LL as the rent for the following month.

The LA cannot change the terms of your tenancy agreement by telling you not “to worry about it”. If the tenancy says month in advance, that is what it will be. Remember, the HAP agreement is between you and the Local Authority, not the LA and the LL, so you have to abide by the tenancy agreement.

It doesn’t matter if I’m a LL, you need to know this. The LL cannot legally refuse HAP, but you need to be aware of your obligations under your tenancy agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Dav010 is very correct. It doesn't matter what the HAP office say, if your lease says payment in advance you need to ensure you are paying in advance, because thats what you are signing up to. It will likely mean you pay an additional months rent so that when HAP pay in arrears, you do not end up in an arrears position with your landlord. Remember that HAP are only making a payment on your behalf, under their terms and you are still responsible for the agreement you make to pay in advance, and responsible to ensure you keep to that agreement.

HAP know that most leases are payment in advance, yet they still pay in arrears and leave it for the tenant and landlord to sort out between themselves.

All rental agreements are paid rent month in advance. Be sure to tell the landlord “not to worry about it” when he/she doesn’t receive it in advance. If paid in arrears, you will have to continue to pay until all paperwork is sorted out and first HAP payment comes through, this will then be taken by the LL as the rent for the following month.

The LA cannot change the terms of your tenancy agreement by telling you not “to worry about it”. If the tenancy says month in advance, that is what it will be. Remember, the HAP agreement is between you and the Local Authority, not the LA and the LL, so you have to abide by the tenancy agreement.

It doesn’t matter if I’m a LL, you need to know this. The LL cannot legally refuse HAP, but you need to be aware of your obligations under your tenancy agreement.

OK, no need to be sarcastic.
    First of all, I've been trying to learn about the Hap system. Everyday I discover another jigsaw puzzle piece.
    Then I just quoted what the man in the office said to me.
    Following what you say, all the Hap tenants in Ireland are not in line with the lease contract considering that all the payments are in arrears. Are they?

• Advertisement

OK, no need to be sarcastic.
    First of all, I've been trying to learn about the Hap system. Everyday I discover another jigsaw puzzle piece.
    Then I just quoted what the man in the office said to me.
    Following what you say, all the Hap tenants in Ireland are not in line with the lease contract considering that all the payments are in arrears. Are they?

No sarcasm intended, you asked about HAP and what LL can do legally, this is it.

Again, HAP is between you and the LA, the tenant must stay “in line” with their rental agreement, which means the tenant continues to pay rent until the first HAP payment is recieved by the LL, which is then accepted by the LL as the rent for the next month.

Effectively what this means, is that you will need to have the means to pay the rent up until that first HAP payment is made. Considering the LL has to fill the forms, get a tax clearance cert from Revenue and the forms have to be processed by the LA, which from experience can take a couple of weeks, you should provisionally plan to pay rent yourself for 2-3 months. If you do not pay rent in advance the second month, and HAP payment for month one hasn’t come through, you will be in arrears.

No sarcasm intended, you asked about HAP and what LL can do legally, this is it.

Again, HAP is between you and the LA, the tenant must stay “in line” with their rental agreement, which means the tenant continues to pay rent until the first HAP payment is recieved by the LL, which is then accepted by the LL as the rent for the next month.

Effectively what this means, is that you will need to have the means to pay the rent up until that first HAP payment is made. Considering the LL has to fill the forms, get a tax clearance cert from Revenue and the forms have to be processed by the LA, which from experience can take a couple of weeks, you should provisionally plan to pay rent yourself for 2-3 months. If you do not pay rent in advance the second month, and HAP payment for month one hasn’t come through, you will be in arrears.

I have understood everything you've said in here, although I have a scenario on my mind.
    Let's say that I have the Hap forms in my hands (it's not true because they should arrive on the post, but I'll have them by the time I find a place and sign the contract). So I have these forms which I'm not showing to the landlord. I pay the deposit, I pay the first month's rent, I get the keys and enter my new home. On day 2 I ask the landlord to sign the forms.
    Based on the information I've got from Hap, if the forms are correct, the payments to the landlord start within 2-3 weeks (on last Wednesday of the month). Depending on the day of the month I give my forms, I could be fine and not having to pay other rents.
    But what if the landlord holds over, with the excuse of getting that certificate, sign or send that form or whatever. In this case it is unfair and I have to undergo further rents payments which I shouldn't have.
    What would be your advice on this situation?
    Thanks.

I have understood everything you've said in here, although I have a scenario on my mind.
    Let's say that I have the Hap forms in my hands (it's not true because they should arrive on the post, but I'll have them by the time I find a place and sign the contract). So I have these forms which I'm not showing to the landlord. I pay the deposit, I pay the first month's rent, I get the keys and enter my new home. On day 2 I ask the landlord to sign the forms.
    Based on the information I've got from Hap, if the forms are correct, the payments to the landlord start within 2-3 weeks (on last Wednesday of the month). Depending on the day of the month I give my forms, I could be fine and not having to pay other rents.
    But what if the landlord holds over, with the excuse of getting that certificate, sign or send that form or whatever. In this case it is unfair and I have to undergo further rents payments which I shouldn't have.
    Thanks.

As the tenant, the sole responsibility for paying the rent lies with you. I know it should be a quick process, but don’t count on the LL signing the forms the day they are recieved, he/she will take their time to read them and fill them out, the last time I requested a tax clearance cert, it took at least a week to come from Revenue. And of course the LA will take as long as they take to set up your payment, along with the standing order, if they miss the deadline for doing that on the last Wednesday of the month, it may be the following month before payment is made. You will then have to pay rent for month two yourself.

Don’t assume this is a quick process and that it will be all set up in 2 weeks (standing order has to be set up a few days before it is paid).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

Thanks.

if you have paid the first months rent at the start of the month and the landlord receives the payment from HAP at the end of the month then the landlord has been paid twice for the same month. Once by your and once by HAP.

The HAP payment for the first month can be used as the payment for the next month ie the landlord is being paid in advance.

What then happens at the end of your tenancy is that the landlord will receive a payment for the last month of your tenancy which he will give back to you as as the return of your first months rent as same was paid twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Immaculata

What if your prospective LL doesn't take HAP though? Won't he or she immediately give you notice to leave? Wouldn't you be hypothetically putting yourself in danger of having to find another place in only a few days or a month?

Immaculata wrote: »
    What if your prospective LL doesn't take HAP though? Won't he or she immediately give you notice to leave? Wouldn't you be hypothetically putting yourself in danger of having to find another place in only a few days or a month?

The enormous payout from the WRC would soften the blow. A LL cannot decide not to take HAP, it is discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

So I have these forms which I'm not showing to the landlord. I pay the deposit, I pay the first month's rent, I get the keys and enter my new home. On day 2 I ask the landlord to sign the forms.

I would not do this. Because of the underhand way you went about getting the house (i.e. under false pretences of being able to afford the rent) a landlord may assume you were someone not to be trusted and may question their decision to allow you into their property. They may well decide that you were not worth the risk and terminate the tenancy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread is ancient. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement