Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post info of events here!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

From this months marathon news letter and the Great Island kayak race will be on the 30th of December. The google calendar (link above) have been updated (where details available).

18 Sept Galway City Race
    25th and 26th of September Paddlefest
    10 Oct Robertstown
    Dec 19 Annual Turkey Race
    Sea Races
    Lough Erne Canoe Rally 25/26th Sept.
    Dublin Bay Sea Kayaking Race 3rd Oct.

City of the Tribes Race 2010 will run from the Fisheries Field, Galway
    City next Saturday 18th September. We had hoped to change venue to
    secure better parking but high cost issues involved.

Thanks to the efforts of various bodies parking in the Fisheries Field
    is very restricted so like last year we will be asking paddlers to
    drop off their kayaks in the Fisheies Field and find parking
    elsewhere. (nearest Pay and display car park 2 minute walk away at &
    behind Galway cathedral)

Entries from 11:30hrs. First start at 13:30hrs

In the evening of the 18th Galway Kayak Club are holding their annual
    BBQ locally (in Galway Rowing club 3 minutes away). They have extended
    an invite to paddlers staying on after the race, but require paddlers
    who wish to come to give notification to galwaykayakclub@gmail.com or
    info@galwaykayakclub.com by Wednesday 15th. Tickets are €5 payable on
    the evening.

Look forward to seeing you in Galway.

Any queries to 087 7565578

My calendar updated and can be found here:

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=qaiace90jrrd1o22pp6f192mek%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/Dublin

Highlight added in this months update

Great Island kayak race
    2010 Race will be Thursday Dec 30th

Start times:
    touring class 10:45 (25.5km)
    doubles class 10:45 (25.5km)
    Juniors 11:45 (8-10km)
    Short Course 11:45 (8-10km)
    Elite class 11:45 (25.5km)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SeaniO

Hey Sorry if I shouldn't post here. Is there anyone in the Wicklow Town area who wants to meet up and go Kayaking. I'm a noob but I have a Robson Waikiki so I'd like flat water or Coast. I'd be into Meeting anyone interested.
    Cheers.
    SeaniO

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

ZuppyLurk wrote: »
    From this months marathon news letter and the Great Island kayak race will be on the 30th of December. The google calendar (link above) have been updated (where details available).

18 Sept Galway City Race
    25th and 26th of September Paddlefest
    10 Oct Robertstown
    Dec 19 Annual Turkey Race
    Sea Races
    Lough Erne Canoe Rally 25/26th Sept.
    Dublin Bay Sea Kayaking Race 3rd Oct.

City of the Tribes Race 2010 will run from the Fisheries Field, Galway
    City next Saturday 18th September. We had hoped to change venue to
    secure better parking but high cost issues involved.

Thanks to the efforts of various bodies parking in the Fisheries Field
    is very restricted so like last year we will be asking paddlers to
    drop off their kayaks in the Fisheies Field and find parking
    elsewhere. (nearest Pay and display car park 2 minute walk away at &
    behind Galway cathedral)

Entries from 11:30hrs. First start at 13:30hrs

In the evening of the 18th Galway Kayak Club are holding their annual
    BBQ locally (in Galway Rowing club 3 minutes away). They have extended
    an invite to paddlers staying on after the race, but require paddlers
    who wish to come to give notification to galwaykayakclub@gmail.com or
    info@galwaykayakclub.com by Wednesday 15th. Tickets are €5 payable on
    the evening.

Look forward to seeing you in Galway.

Any queries to 087 7565578

What is the great island kayak race?

It is a 25km race around the great island (Cobh) in Cork. Shorter distance also. If you go to the calendar and click the event link the details should be there.

It has been a bit epic the last two years with the weather. :-)
    Great race.

• Advertisement

Ps. Start times are above. If you have any other questions let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

sea race?

Yip. Sea kayak or surf ski. Your choice. It is a salt water race but within cork harbour so some what sheltered.

You will need a 'long' boat for this race. No playboats. :-)
    And be comfortable on a swell or with a cross wind. Other than that the distance is the only hindering factor in entering.
    Burgers in marlogue bar for the debrief seems to be tradition.

Ok, Calendar has been updated again, if you see anything missing then please let me know. Next update will be mid December but the links are valid for as long as I keep updating the calendars. :-)

Google imports into lots of formats and other calendars, see their help page (as I am not a techie person).

Paddling calendar
    http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=qaiace90jrrd1o22pp6f192mek%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/Dublin

For the competitive guys my running one is

Running calendar
    http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=0m1eptcd7l75r39qk2onmjcom4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/Dublin

Please check with the organisers before traveling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

ICU's calender for the year is up here.

Subject to change i'm sure!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Trim Canoe Club will host their 5th annual Daft Raft Race again this St Patrick’s Day at 1.30pm. Application forms can be picked up from Matchbox on Emmet St. All application forms must be returned to the organisers before March 7th as space is limited. The entrance fee this year is 20 euro per person and the winning teams of the 2 man event and the 4 man event will receive a cheque for 100 euro and a donation for 100 euro to a charity of their choice. There will also be prizes for the best dressed raft and the titanic award (first to sink). See you on the river! :D

Sprint head to head 26th March
    IRISH CANOE UNION
    SPRINT RACING COMMITTEE
    Present Sprint Head to Head Regatta

DATE: SATURDAY 26th March @ 10.30AM

VENUE: Grand Canal, Prosperous

CLASSES: K1 200m & 500m, all welcome

Heats will be seeded based on previous regattas and personal best times. Finals will be decided on fastest time from heats.

Entrys:
    Not later than 8.00pm, Wednesday 23rd March, 2011.

Please submit online entry form or complete form attached to this notice and return by email to: david.pringle@esbi.ie

East passage kayak race
    http://www.runireland.com/forms/east-passage-kayak-race

Entry now open. If you sign up online you get an item of race merchandise.

I started a thread for this race. Let me know if you have any questions about the race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Just to highlight that the second John Barry Sea Kayak Race is being held on Sunday week. Was on the first one last year and really must commend Shielbaggan Outdoor Education Centre on how well it was run. Everything from parking, shuttle bus, safety, refreshments and prizes was first class. Though maybe a bit more publicity about this event would be in order!

From the seakayaking.ie website:
    http://seakayaking.ie/Sea-Kayaking/wexford-harbour-sea-kayak-race.html
    The maps on the Race Notes page show course A from Rosslare Harbour to Wexford Harbour round three bouys of 16.7km. If the weather is bad it will be held exclusively inside the harbour using Course C. Novices and Juniors will Paddle course B inside the harbour (5km).

It is proposed to have four different classes:
    1. Elite class (inc. doubles)
    2. Touring class (inc. doubles) (Inc. prizes for first Plastic boats)
    3. Novice
    4. Junior class
    The touring class will start first @ 12pm, followed by the elite class after 40min (2.40pm) and junior and novice class (start @ 3pm) will paddle a course inside Wexford Harbour of approximately 5 K.
    This event will take place on sunday 26th June to avoid clashes with other kayak races. .
    Cost €20
    In order to access the start Shielbaggan OEC will run a shuttle service between the finish in Wexford and Rosslare Harbour..
    Competitors will therefore park their car near the finish (space barriered off in the car park behind the tourist office, cars must be out by 7pm) and then be shuttled to the start. It is suggested that you arrive by 10pm to avail of the shuttle.The buses and trailers will then go to the finish and a pick up on rosslare Strand, in order to pick up kayakers who feel unable to complete the course.
    On the water there will be four rescue boats all operating on Channel 71 who will pick up any kayakers who are in difficulty and ferry them to the shuttle buses. The safety boats will also sweep to ensure that nobody is left behind.

The finish point for the Race will be at the entrance to the breakwater in front of the tourist office on the quay front. Afterwards a prize-giving and sandwiches will be in the Talbot Hotel.

So what events are coming up?

.......anyone.....

From the Marathon website:

Sep 24 Ranking Galway www.kayakmor.com
    Oct 08 Ranking The Liffey Decent
    Oct 16 Ranking Robertstown Canal www.newbridgekayakclub.com
    Oct 29 Ranking Waterways Ireland Barrow Decent Donnacha Brennan
    Dec 10 Non Ranking Annual Turkey Race River Liffey http://gofree.indigo.ie/~vosul

National Sprint Championships (k boats) on Inniscarra Lake in Cork on 1st October.

200m, 1000m, 5000m.

See here for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

colligan gorge games nov 19th!

From the marathon site:
    Hi all,

This October 29th, the inaugural "Waterways Ireland Barrow Descent" will take place on a 23km stretch of the River Barrow from Goresbridge, Co. Kilkenny-St. Mullins, Co. Carlow.

With 12 weirs along the course, safety will be of paramount importance and while members from Thomastown Paddlers will be covering several of them, further volunteers will be needed. Any help you/or your members can be in assisting the running of this event would be greatly appreciated. We hope that this inaugural event will grow, possibly one day to be a sister event to the Liffey Descent itself.

We hope to have free camping with showers close by in Thomastown, and there will be an after race "Halloween Fancy Dress Party" that you and your friends are all welcome to attend. This has the makings of a great weekend

If you can help us out in anyway possible (or know of any other groups etc that can) I would be hugely appreciative if you could let them know and maybe e-mail me @: thomastownpaddlers@gmail.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you all, please get in touch soon if you can be part of the safety team.

A Race notice will be published shortly on www.canoe.ie

Yours in paddling,

Donnacha Brennan (Organiser on behalf of Canoeing Ireland, Marathon Committee

Being a thomastown man myself, and having paddled the stretch a good few times, I can recommend it although the sections between weirs might seem a bit long for some people in shorter boats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Colligan is cancelled this year due to access issues I think.... Anyone going to the Crana Games this weekend?

Another neglected thread of mine. Since Canoeing Ireland manged to do google calendars, there hasn't been a need but some races still fall off that calendar so See thread on Clare Glens

https://www.facebook.com/events/508627295817640/?fref=ts

• Advertisement

Great Island Kayak race 23rd of December 2012.

See thread for details

The international sprint calendar,

2 – 4 May – ICF Sprint World Cup 1, Milan, Italy
    16 – 18 May – ICF Sprint World Cup 2, Racice, Czech Republic
    23 – 25 May – ICF Sprint World Cup 3, Szeged, Hungary
    26 – 29 June – ECA Junior / U23 Championships Sprints, Mantes en Yvelines, France
    11 – 13 July – ECA Senior Sprint Championships, Brandenburg, Germany
    17 – 20 July – ICF Junior / U23 World Canoe Sprint Championships, Szeged, Hungary
    6 – 10 August – ICF Senior World Canoe Sprint Championships, Moscow, Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

GalwayFest. https://www.facebook.com/galway.fest.9?ref=ts&fref=ts

This is the third year of this event which is part of the Irish Whitewater Race League. Its a two day event with a whitewater time trial on the Boluisce in Spiddal on Saturday and a freestyle event on Sunday.

You can register online here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13kQslLUxo7CHsP2dxOqJE5oLmEYHWroU_44EYm3d6NE/viewform?edit_requested=true

Its a great event, there was around 120 competitors last year and were hoping for even more this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

There is a "minor" thing happening called the Club Championships, think you are the best club in Ireland ? Prove it:

http://canoe.ie/en-us/competition/clubchampionships2014.aspx

Sh** talking aside it is a great opportunity to gain experience in new discplines. Check out the link for more.

Also, Paddlefest 2014, I am not associated with these guys but I was at Paddlefest 2013 and it was an exceptional weekend, I would recommend it to anyone who likes time on the water and wants to try something new:
    http://www.canoe.ie/en-gb/trainingcourses/paddlefest2014.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Cranafest 2015

http://www.cranafest.ie/

Ticket sales end 13th Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Basecamp Dublin

Something you might be interested in!

We have a talk with Outsider Magazines Man Of The Year: Mick O'Meara, who completed a solo record breaking kayak around Ireland

The event is free to attend on the 3rd of July in Basecamp Outdoor Store, Middle Abbey Street at 7pm.

There is also the chance to win a €300 worth of Columbia gear of your choice.

Cheers

Alan
    Basecamp

Advertisement