Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I paddled today thread

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Chavways wrote: »
    Was my first time in Wicklow so to be honest I couldn't tell you. Is it the Avanmore or Annamoe with the gt on in Rathduff?

I think we got on at Annamoe bridge next to the fishery. It was very low.Had to shuffle down a lot of the first section using my hands. Past Trooperstown it was still pretty low.A lot of people destroying boats with the scratches.

Cool thanks for that, I was hoping it might be a bit fuller so this rain today could have pushed it up a bit more.

Yeh Annamoe bridge is a get off point and passed that you go through Trooperstown and into the boulder garden then the run into Jackson's falls. The Rathdrum get off is a good bit further down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Just did about 10 miles in our local lake on Sunday (Southwest Ohio)......nothing spectacular, open water, nobody else out boating. We've just bought a pair of cheep and cheerful 8 foot sit-in kayaks for pleasure use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Been making vids of my latest paddles, was out in whitebay doing some roll practice, v.cold but manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Paddled my driveway today, from the front door to the car ! With all this rain I'm afraid that when I get home this evening my garden will in fact be a lake ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Was in Wales for the past week paddling. Hoped to get loads of rivers done and a few runs on the Tryweryn but levels were extremely low. Ended up doing the River Dee in Llongollen 5 times. There was almost as much sledding done as kayaking. Snowed for most of the week.

• Advertisement

Out last Saturday, small paddle around 6km

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eugene Yes

Sea trip along the North Mayo Coast line was my lot for the weekend.
    Here's a vid.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LQKuj5soRfc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLQKuj5soRfc
    Here's a pic
    1095061_329559267189117_412371012_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was out wesht with a few English boaters and a few locals last week. My friend took this of one of the guys at the top of the first rapid. Nice river but only works after loads of rain.

s4e0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eugene Yes

Looks like it would have to be still raining to catch a runable level on that roller coaster. Wouldn't fancy a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah generally you need to be there when its raining. Swimming isn't an option.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Loughrea Co. Galway. I'm just a SOT novice and even though the day was lovely, the forecast said it'd be force 4-5 which I didn't want to chance on the sea etc.. I know this little lake (it's only about 1 1/2 sq. miles) and it has a few wee islands to explore (Crannóg's according to the tourist notices). So, we popped out to the swimming area, but parked behind it where there's a wee jetty. Off we went with our little lunch pack and full of chat, paddled for 20 mins. Got out to the little island which had a wooden floating jetty and a little shelter to potter about and have a bite to eat. :)

There's an onshore wind there (in fairness, it's a tiny lake) so safe as houses and a 10 min paddle home. Took a dip on the lake beach after

Got out with mates from Galway Paddle Posse into the sea last Tuesday. They were on a sit-ins and I was on the SOT, Roscam, Galway. The tide was low and there's a seal colony out there so we went out to seal watch. Weather was fab (a tiny bit o' sunburn on the legs!!). It was warmer than Salthill according to the lads.

The tide was still going out, and its the estuary to the Oranmore river. No funky currents or anything. We hugged the coast to look at the seals and at low tide all these little islands appeared so we stopped on one (shell island??) and took some pics.

Ballyquirke Lough, between Bushpark & Moycullen, 8km (5 mile) North East of Galway City out the Cliften/Oughterard road.

Boy was this a find!! Myself and my mate thought it was just an angling lake but she had said, I hear there's a canal that links it to the Corrib. I thought she meant the overgrown one at the south of the lake but no.... if you paddle up about a mile mile (2km??) you'll come across the entrance to the canal, with a concrete traffic bridge over it....

There seems to be no current and it's over 5 meters (15 ft) wide, plenty of room for two kayaks. It's very peaceful with waterlilies, kingfishers...... It runs for about a mile and you come out at lough Corrib. Alas, lough Corrib the exit (or entrance) is over grown with reeds so I didn't chance paddling out to the lake this time because visibility was bad and I didn't know if I'd be able to find my way back to the entrance of the canal that end, however, the canal itself was wonderful. Next time I should bring a ball of red wool ;)

There's another canal to the right, about half a mile down, which we didn't paddle but it seems to lead to a drain after about 1/2 a mile, we'll paddle it next time.

I posted some pictures on Face book

Right, here's a new one.... I paddled the Clarin Estuary (The mouth of the river that 'comes out to the sea' at Clarinbridge Co. Galway

Picture I've posted on facebook.... well, it's my mates, but it was a nice paddle. Loads of little boat slips on the north of the Estuary

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭john jameson

I'd like to leave one here also!! Iv a few lakes local to me and one of them is lough carra co mayo . Nice size lake for a paddle ..I'd normally just go in a wide circle from moore hall woods to the 2 islands mid way up the lake and back agen ...

It's a lovely way to spend some quiet time !!

Recently bought this dubble sit on for kayaking with the kids it's not awfull big but manageable by myself!

Well as it was a lovely evening a quick paddle was in order!!

Lough lannagh castlebar co mayo.

From one end to the other. Evenings are closing in fast 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Just started having a look around the north Mayo coast. Did Talaghan bay / Doohoma Head yesterday and Doolough today. Tidy

Lovely coast line..I wasnt actually to far from you. I fished around ballyglass light house for a few mackerel...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭cletus

Love paddling this section of the Barrow

• Advertisement

Out yesterday to paddle the newest section of the Barrow line blueway. I've cycled the new path a number of times, but the world always looks different from the water.

Was out with a friend for his first first paddle, so calm water was ideal.

Took a picture or two, but any section of the canal looks like any other 😃

First paddle of the year for me. Beautiful morning

Making the most of the weather before it changes tomorrow

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Not quite what I paddled.......but it's what I do in my kayak 😊

The kayak seems pretty stationary there, do you use an anchor of some sort, or is it just very calm water

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's a lake so there's no current, though there is on the river. However the wind does blow you fairly rapidly at times (and always in the wrong direction). I only ever use an anchor at sea if I'm fishing for particular species.

Athy to Carlow paddle on Tuesday. Got a cracking day for it

Two day paddle from Athy to Leighlinbridge.

A continuation of last year's trip. Started in Leighlinbridge, and paddled to St. Mullins.

Note, the fire pit in the the camp picture is not ours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement