Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Portlaoise

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

Chinese- The Emperors House - JFL avenue
    Pizza- Chequers- Mountmellick Road is very good

Would agree with Francescos as good chipper and The Butchers Block for meat. If you like Indian food Mayur on main street is excellent and a sit down meal there is a real treat. Their chicken korma is a thing of beauty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dobad

Defo Chequers on Mountmellick road in the Fairgreen for pizza and also the Chinese down there too is great and probably the cheapest in town
    Butchers Block too for meat

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    - What's the best butcher in the town in terms of selection and price/deals?
    - Best pub? (I'm very late 30s)
    - Best chipper/Chinese/pizza place for those times when I'm feeling bold?

Welcome.:)

Best pub-Kavanaghs, plus they run comedy clubs and sometimes have good bands too.
    Best Indian- Mayur, best by a long shot. Indian Prince in Kilminchy is good also.
    Best food-The Killeshin Hotel is a good spot for food, any day /evening.
    Best butcher? I'd head out to Williams' butchers in Abbeyleix and fill up the freezer.

Don't forget The Dunamaise theatre for shows and some films that don't make it to the cinema.

One thing, it can be difficult to source a GP in Portlaoise- you'd probably be better to register with one( can recommend by PM) while you're well rather than waiting until you need one.
    Doctor on call is-MIDOC is @ 1850 302 702.
    And you'll be tripping over yourself with the choice of pharmacies in the town.

Enjoy exploring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ollygolf

Hey guys. I'm relocating for a job on the Laois/Offaly border late August. I had Tullamore or Portlaoise in mind. This thread is worrying me about Portlaoise as an option. As a young lady in my twenties I'd be house sharing and I'd be hoping to get involved in sport and meet ppl my own age. Tullamore is closer to home which is the one advantage. Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Tullamore isn't as much of a ****hole to be honest, although there's probably more to do in Portlaoise. If you're commuting a lot to Dublin Portlaoise has better train services, buses, and you're just off the m7.

Personally prefer living in Tullamore.

• Advertisement

Tullamore isn't as much of a ****hole to be honest, although there's probably more to do in Portlaoise. If you're commuting a lot to Dublin Portlaoise has better train services, buses, and you're just off the m7.

Personally prefer living in Tullamore.

Thanks for the advice. The fact there's more to do is encouraging. I'll be doing very little commuting this year to Dublin. Most of the commuting will be heading back West for the weekends I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Tullamore then if you're going west, it's just off the m6. Also check out accommodation options. Tullamore may be harder to find house shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Keehar

Ollygolf wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm relocating for a job on the Laois/Offaly border late August. I had Tullamore or Portlaoise in mind. This thread is worrying me about Portlaoise as an option. As a young lady in my twenties I'd be house sharing and I'd be hoping to get involved in sport and meet ppl my own age. Tullamore is closer to home which is the one advantage. Any thoughts?

Been living in Portlaoise now for over 2 months. Moved down from Dublin. I've found Portlaoise to be a great town to live in so far.

Keehar wrote: »
    Been living in Portlaoise now for over 2 months. Moved down from Dublin. I've found Portlaoise to be a great town to live in so far.

Thank you. It's great to hear the positive. How did you sort out accommodation if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Keehar

Ollygolf wrote: »
    Thank you. It's great to hear the positive. How did you sort out accommodation if you don't mind me asking?

My pleasure.

I bought a house here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

I've been here over 2 years now, I find it a good town to live in. I rented through a letting agent in the town

Advertisement