Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buses from Portlaoise to Dublin

Options
  • 17-01-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering what are the bus services from Portlaoise to Dublin? Is there more than one? Where in Dublin do they drop you off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Keehar wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering what are the bus services from Portlaoise to Dublin? Is there more than one? Where in Dublin do they drop you off?

Don't know Bus Eireann services but there's an hourly "green bus" to Dublin Airport which stops at the Red Cow Luas stop.
    Dublin Coach operate it. dublin coach.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Don't know Bus Eireann services but there's an hourly "green bus" to Dublin Airport which stops at the Red Cow Luas stop.
    Dublin Coach operate it. Dublin coach.ie

Bus Eireann seem to run a service every two hours - 09:30, 11:30, 13:30, 15:30, 17:30, 19:30 22:30. Having traveled on it the stops seem to be Newlands Cross, Heuston, O'Connell Street and Busarus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The two private services are JJ Kavanagh and Dublin Coach. Dublin Coach leaves hourly 24 hours from the main bus stop near the shopping centre and goes to Red Cow on the way to airport. JJ Kavanagh goes to Red Cow or Heuston on request but main stop is Eden Quay. That leaves less frequently. Both cheaper than Bus Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Keehar

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

No mention has been made of Martleys who also do a daily commuter service to Dublin and it's very busy every day.

• Advertisement

So there's three bus services to Dublin? That's great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Kavanaghs offer the better and quicker service as it only does a few stops and goes all the way to Eden Key. 7 Euro
    Coming back from Dublin you get it at the Ulster Bank near Tara Street.

dublin Coach goes through Newbridge and Naas which adds to the journey time.

I never heard of Martleys, where do you get that from in Portlaoise.

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Does CIE still do the early morning/evening from Mountmellick that dropped you on Stephens Green?

I used it for years, the driver used get Christmas presents from the passengers every year:pac:

sky6 wrote: »

Thanks

All you need to know here, they pick up from same stops as the others mentioned AFAIK:

http://martleys.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=117

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

All you need to know here, they pick up from same stops as the others mentioned AFAIK:

http://martleys.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=117

Thanks, Strange I never heard of it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

sky6 wrote: »
    Kavanaghs offer the better and quicker service as it only does a few stops and goes all the way to Eden Key. 7 Euro
    Coming back from Dublin you get it at the Ulster Bank near Tara Street.

dublin Coach goes through Newbridge and Naas which adds to the journey time.

Thanks

I've used Kavanagh;s and found it great. Ideal for a cheap trip to Dublin for a few pints !

Sounds like Kavanaghs is the best one to use. Thanks again, guys.

Another question, guys: Is there a bus service in Portlaoise that goes from The Hermitage into the town center?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BenMears

Is there travel passes for any of these bus services? You know instead of paying a fare each time can you buy like a more cost effective travel card or something?

Martleys do a weekly ticket which is more cost effective, I'm sure the other providers do something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

Keehar wrote: »
    Another question, guys: Is there a bus service in Portlaoise that goes from The Hermitage into the town center?

No. Only school buses operate up there.

^ Thank you.

Advertisement