Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Will there be much precipitation from this weather front,could there be spot flooding in Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'm more optimistic about this event than I was about today's. A few days of cold frosts to cool down the ground and get a nice cold layer established. Can't access forecast soundings now but I'd imagine they'll show a heavy snow or freezing rain setup. 850 hPa temperatures may not mean much in this case as we're not talking about convection, but obviously it'll have to be sub-zero.

The first time I've gotten properly interested in a snow event since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The Met.ie 5-day graphics charts showing -8c over the midlands-east on Monday evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Harmonie matches the weather warning but Kildare, Laois, Wicklow and Dublin start off as rain on it and slowly turn to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

GFSOPUK06_75_25.png

GFS Snow depths for Monday morning at 9am!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Villain wrote: »
    Harmonie matches the weather warning but Kildare, Laois, Wicklow and Dublin start off as rain on it and slowly turn to snow.

Hi villain.
    Do you think the south east might get snow at this time??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

GFS viewed through NetWeather shows the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Rain for Carlow then too?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ME has now given this Orange alert for most of the country:
    Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath and Meath
    Significant falls of snow are expected Saturday night and into Sunday. Accumulations of 4 to 8 cm could occur quite widely with greater totals possible. Drifting snow locally at times too with brisk winds. Slippery paths and treacherous roads also due to snow accumulation and ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

I have a bad feeling I might be just a tad too far south, in which case tomorrow night is likely to be very depressing

The only thing worse than getting no snow at all is people only a 50 km away getting tons of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bejubby wrote: »
    Hi villain.
    Do you think the south east might get snow at this time??

Not looking likely based on current details anyway, higher ground alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

What’s interesting here is the sliding nature of the low
    Normally lows shunt away cold
    This one bumps into it and party’s with it
    It’s in my opinion with the current northern hemisphere profile an early taste of what’s in store as winter goes on if things don’t change

I’m expecting rain in Arklow which may turn to snow
    But Alpine conditions in many inland warning areas from the get go

Last nights snow here is still covering the shady garden,a temp of 2.9c and do of -1c

It all depends how far north the low goes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

kod87 wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling I might be just a tad too far south, in which case tomorrow night is likely to be very depressing

The only thing worse than getting no snow at all is people only a 50 km away getting tons of it

It will be hard for Munster people as well watching all the fun as we have rain again! Oh joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

It will be hard for Munster people as well watching all the fun as we have rain again! Oh joy

well at least we are well used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

So we have an Orange level of snow/ice, but individually the potential wind and wind gusts aren't enough to get more than a yellow level each.

By those criteria we wouldn't see a storm naming triggered. But ME do say "Consideration will also be given to rain and snow events", so I wonder whether Yellow Level wind + Orange level snow/ice warning = Storm Dylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

What’s interesting here is the sliding nature of the low
    Normally lows shunt away cold
    This one bumps into it and party’s with it
    It’s in my opinion with the current northern hemisphere profile an early taste of what’s in store as winter goes on if things don’t change

I’m expecting rain in Arklow which may turn to snow
    But Alpine conditions in many inland warning areas from the get go

Last nights snow here is still covering the shady garden,a temp of 2.9c and do of -1c

It all depends how far north the low goes

stupid question but do we want it going north or south? not familiar with this kind of set up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

WRF performing quite well atm

tempresult_dfe7.gif

nmmuk-26-72-0_cxg6.png

Could be seeing rainfall warnings too ( for Kerry no doubt ! :pac: )

nmmuk-25-63-0_iui5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think the high ground of north Kilkenny will get a lot more snow.
    The snow from last night has remained, and we got a high today of 2.8C at 220m asl.
    My mother would say when snow was slow to go, that it was waiting for more, not scientific, but it did say it was cold enough...
    I see in Kilkenny city about 6 miles away the high reached has been 4.7C.
    The effect of altitude, and I think the Castlecomer plateau has a decent chance of getting a lot of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Cromwell Thought Clare was part of Connacht.

If it's good enough for Cromwell, it's good enough for me.

(grasping at straws)

stupid question but do we want it going north or south? not familiar with this kind of set up.

A bit further South would be good
    Not much though

Even though it’s not as cold,I’ve a jan 82 feeling in me shivers now about this one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

A bit further South would be good
    Not much though

Even though it’s not as cold,I’ve a jan 82 feeling in me shivers now about this one :D

Why is Munster not getting anything? Is it due to the cold not having filtered South enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Sorry if I am posting this from an in my back yard point of view, but I'm purposely not getting too excited about this possible event - am very cautious with these types of setups. Reckon there will be zero to 1-2cm accumulations (at best) on Dublin coast and city centre, possibly a bit more in inland/higher ground areas - the wind being the problem. Above 200m in coastal districts & ground level 20 km in land should be a different ball game all together, definitely most promising charts for heavy snow with potential for 10+ cm accumulations since Jan/March 2013 and maybe 2010. Expecting heavy rain here turning to wet, non accumulating rain/snow later. With a bit of luck locations a bit further inland and with a bit of height as close as Casement could see rain turning to full on snow. Will be important to monitor the next few model runs, hopefully we will see a slight S shift to increase our chances of seeing something white.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

So I take it mid west is looking best for this event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

In addition, I would keep an eye out on possible preciptation shadows on the West side of the Wicklow Mountains, sometimes this occurs in an E flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not even going to let myself get excited for this one, as it WILL be rain for West Clare!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Danish Hirlam going for a right old sleety mix for me, but initially starting off as snow tomorrow night, so maybe some quality lamp post watching for a short time:

world_image?city=2961099&mode=dag1_2

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not even going to let myself get excited for this one, as it WILL be rain for West Clare!

And potentially a good deal of it (meteogram for Ennis from same model)

world_image?city=2964405&mode=dag1_2

New Moon

Why is Munster not getting anything? Is it due to the cold not having filtered South enough?

I think Tipp and north Cork will see a fair bit at times
    The air over Munster has too much Atlantic maratime influence but as this system backs away Southeast there could be surprises
    It’s exceptionally hard to pin this down
    I mean all options are on the table including an entire rain event if the low goes too far north
    The further north,the less are invited to the party

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

So at the moment where if it comes of will get biggest hit and can it change at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like this is going to go down to the last tee in detail. Theres going to be some very happy people and theres going to be some extremely pissed off people.

Advertisement