Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Localized strong wind threats on Wednesday (1st) and overnight (1st-2nd March)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mace Hd got a gust of 97km/h in the 17.00 report, Valentia's highest gust of 86km/h in the 18.00 report

N6tO1AF.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That last gust was worthy of Doris. Made me jump. West Connemara 400 ft asl

All three cats have insisted on going out which is very unusual in this weather. Maybe they know something I do not. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

7pm. Mace head gusting 52 knots. Kinsale energy gusting 57 knots

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Graces7 wrote: »
    That last gust was worthy of Doris. Made me jump. West Connemara 400 ft asl

All three cats have insisted on going out which is very unusual in this weather. Maybe they know something I do not. :eek:

Had u Guinness and curry chips last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

the situation is complex,in ireland that equates to, expect the dullest of weather,with an extreme gust thrown in somewhere,where somebodys shed roof has been blown off in bellmullet, the forecast has changed so many times,with regards winds,in the last 24 hours, south connaght,muster,south leinster,then wexford, back to munster and connaght and northwards,most exposed to see severe winds, altough if you read regional forcasts on met.ie this all changes again in contrast to national forcasts,its a quagmire,at this stage who knows,but unlikely to see anything noteworthy above yellow warnings,jaysus a bit of consistent detail would be good, this is where met eireann fails, please start stating % probabilities like the uk met office.

very blustery now in west connaught,i.e west mayo,Lights flickering,have had no curries or guiness in the last 2 days either,but there was a strange stinch when i opened boards earlier,hmmmmm.... maybe it will be a Dorris situation, or maybe iv had too much baileys. i also have a cat but it coudnt care less about the wind. *farts*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In what way has the forecast changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not a puff of wind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

Not a puff of wind here.

careful now, or you'll have the 'here' brigade after you.

• Advertisement

Gust of 74 km/h here near Tralee just now, big convective gusts and hail showers.

Cottage shaking in the gusts here now and loud deluges. West Connemara 400 asl ... a windy spot they say locally

8pm.

Kinsale energy gusting 64 knots(118km/h).
    Mace head gusting 53 knots.
    Roaches point 52 knots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any regular snow expected on high ground after the graupel?

Thinking of Wicklow mountains in particular - did they or will they get graupel?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Wind has picked up here in the last 20 mins, nothing out of the ordinary, East Galway.
    At least it's not bin night.

As per usual, any percip worth its weight is going either north or south of me. Anyone in North Clare/South Galway? Looks like quite a deluge there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

heavy\rain sleet here on galway\clare border, i'd imagine it's snowing further inland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

This is live view of my bird feeders in D16.
    all hanging by string so a good wind strength gauge.
    Im seeing a few floaty bits of precip so sleety!

Oh, the audio is dublin airport op's / all marine channels also , so can get interesting at times.
    You will get all the coastguard weather alerts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wind has picked up here in the last 20 mins, nothing out of the ordinary, East Galway.
    At least it's not bin night.

Just an ordinary light breeze here (8 knot mean) Connemara clearly has a completely different climate to us!

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just an ordinary light breeze here (8 knot mean) Connemara clearly has a completely different climate to us!

I'm in south west Connemara facing onto Galway Bay, bit gusty out alright but nothing noteworthy yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Good evening all. Long time no see. Nice to see so many familiar names still about 😊. It's cold but calm so far in my neck of the woods (Sligo).

• Advertisement

wet and extremely windy here in Castlebar. heavy persistent rain with some very strong sustained winds and higher gusts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Gusts have picked up a bit now, a little bit of window flexing has started (that's the scale I use).

9pm,
    Kinsale gusting 61 knots.
    Mace head 51 knots.

(Newport in Mayo gusting 42 knots.Knock 40 knots,meanwhile just up the road the low pressure is in over Belmullet,almost calm at 8 knots)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A couple of window flexers during the heavier rain, with any luck it will move the trampoline back to where it was before Doris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Some very serious gusts of wind in Galway in the past hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

Gust of 74 km/h here near Tralee just now, big convective gusts and hail showers.

Big gust just blew the roof of the chicken coop ... Managed to get it back on with a few rocks on top

I do have 6 hens now who are in need of counseling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Wind rising now a bit ok. My god that's awful news in Limerick.

10pm

Kinsale gusting 63 knots.
    Mace head 55 Knots.
    Newport 45 Knots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mix of rain, sleet and wet snow (heavier bursts) here in south Laois at 89m elevation.

2.4c/0.9cDP

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    Big gust just blew the roof of the chicken coop ... Managed to get it back on with a few rocks on top

I do have 6 hens now who are in need of counseling

Got very windy this evening near Tralee, Just before 22.00 got the highest gust today of 77.2 km/h ( anemometer about 7m above ground level ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Trampoline blown over out the back just now in north laois, it didn't happen when Doris paid a visit !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

careful now, or you'll have the 'here' brigade after you.

Think the user name gives it away!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Mech1 wrote: »

This is live view of my bird feeders in D16.
    all hanging by string so a good wind strength gauge.
    Im seeing a few floaty bits of precip so sleety!

Oh, the audio is dublin airport op's / all marine channels also , so can get interesting at times.
    You will get all the coastguard weather alerts etc.

Have a live stream on youtube myself. Just wondering what webcam/ip cam your using? Quality is pretty good.

The ARPEGE 18z rolling out. Showing not as windy as the earlier run perhaps for Galway in the early hours, but still quite windy IMO. Clare looks to be getting some strong wind for a couple of hours after midnight.

t5x9fsR.png

U4etfDe.png

I'll let ye know whats missing in the morning!

2301 met update for tomorrow

Thursday: Scattered showers in the morning but many areas dry with some sunny spells. Showers will become more widespread during the day and will turn wintry again with some heavy precipitation likely and possibly causing some disruption.
    A cold day with temperatures at best 4 to 9 degrees in moderate southerly winds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

highdef wrote:
    Not good news

That's terrible news, I remember driving in similar conditions one day and I literally had to pull the car in and stop blind whilst hoping for the best.

• Advertisement

11pm

Kinsale still very windy and has been all evening, gusting 64 knots(73 MPH) at 11pm.
    Mace head gusting 55 Knots.

winds at other stations beginning to fall back a little.(nothing out of the ordinary in the 11pm TAF's apart from tomorrow turning into a very wet afternoon/evening)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

11pm

Kinsale still very windy and has been all evening, gusting 64 knots(73 MPH) at 11pm.

It's a 100-metre platform out in the open sea so it's not surprising.

not sure i said it was surprising , just posting the observation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Serious wind in greystones, stronger than Doris and really loud. Listening to corrugated sheets being thrown around the garden, can't wait to see the mess in the morning.

JESUS AND MARY AND HOLY SAINT JOSEPH....

To my untrained but accustomed ears etc this is worse than Doris.

The "gusts" are longer and far more sustained, as if that gives them greater force. Things are flying out there.

Cottage is vibrating.

West Connemara 400 ft asl, or at least I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Serious wind here in South Dublin . Way worse than Doris this time. I can hear the roof tiles shaking .

• Advertisement

cotton wrote: »
    Serious wind in greystones, stronger than Doris and really loud. Listening to corrugated sheets being thrown around the garden, can't wait to see the mess in the morning.

Please do not go out in this! I have a very vivid imagination ;);) Just opened the door here as cat thought he wanted out ( !!) and things have moved.

Poltergeist stuff; it even slammed shut the bathroom window; faces north

Then suddenly there is total silence and you hold your breath...deluges again..... it is inhaling ready to...... BIG BREATHS......then POW! Here it comes again..

Any time frame on this now please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please do not go out in this! I have a very vivid imagination ;);) Just opened the door here as cat thought he wanted out ( !!) and things have moved.

Poltergeist stuff; it even slammed shut the bathroom window; faces north

Don't worry, am tucked up in bed with 9 cats, couldn't move if I wanted to ;)

Met Eireann on Radio 1 there "huge contrasts over the country tonight ,calm over ulster with storm force gusts further south" . "cold and unsettled over the weekend"

Meteorite; one of the maps shows a wind of 104 here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement