Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Ewan - Strong winds South and South East coasts Sunday February 26th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just as you post it increases to 67km/h!

Great to have the live webcam (as opposed to webcams that update say every minute), I can see the streetlight shaking!

TRAMPOLINE TRAMPOLINE!! :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Blowy but nothing that might threaten a greenhouse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

a sudden squall just hit east-clare, wheelie bins blown over and torrential rain...came out of nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

71.1km gust registered on the waterfordcity weather page

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gusting to 49kts at Dublin Airport now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Showing signs of brightening here in North Clare. The rain has stopped however in the last 30 minutes the wind has started to pick up. It seems to be picking up relatively quickly. It looks like we might get further squalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

74km/h at 9.58am is my highest gust so far here north east of Kilkenny City.
    http://www.kilkennymet.com/weatherconsole.php

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A strong looking squall line crossing the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

.... and here comes the wind, gusts that are shaking the roof all over again.. No respite in the rain.. horizontal now.

Was briefly out and the streams are a sight to behold, racing and rushing...

West Connemara 400ft asl

RobertKK wrote: »
    A strong looking squall line crossing the country.

I think it arrived here in West Connemara!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭EletricMan

Lovely morning now in Tralee.

the header changed back to Level one but met.ie is still orange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

What a curse it is to have a first name Walter, i'll never have a storm called after me:mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Bucketing down now in Cork, wind picking up too.

410346.PNG

410347.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

We can't rule out an isolated damaging wind gust with the squall line but I think the system has failed to develop enough mixing down to bring the very strong winds to the surface (at least the lower elevation surface, up top of some hills it will likely gust to level 2 but that's not unusual).

It looks powerful on satellite but there's no low pressure centre, just the slight troughing associated with the squall line. If a low forms (or had formed) then I could see the mixing and the wind gusts increasing. As things stand, Wexford could still see gusts above 110 km/hr and I think they will show up in the usual places in Wales in about 2 hours.

Squall line would be more dangerous for wind if there was clearing and wind shear but it's embedded in a larger area of rain and cloud, probably a few gusts to near 50 knots in it.

This is a really close call, I think the original level 2 forecast was justified even if it doesn't necessarily verify. Better to go that way than to say it would remain steady-state and have it explode at the last moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

This is worse than Doris for here (North west Wexford).
    Not much rain but Very Strong Winds.
    Wish I had a weather station to record it.:(

Wasn't expecting this at all.

I may start watching the weather forecasts and on here again!

My mother just informed me she heard thunder as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lashing again in West Clare! Not as heavy as earlier though.

Some serious flooding around the West Clare area, seeing some pictures on Facebook now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Seems to be a second squall line starting up out to the west. It's just hit us here in north Clare. Heavy rain passing through for five-ten minutes and the wind has risen very quickly on the back end. More rain out west so I think this might develop as a second line?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The 06z GFS showing potential for level 2 winds on Wed 1st of March in Connacht and south Ulster, something to monitor on more reliable 12z model runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some really intense rain just east of Enniskillen now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    This is worse than Doris for here (North west Wexford).
    Not much rain but Very Strong Winds.
    Wish I had a weather station to record it.:(

Wasn't expecting this at all.

I may start watching the weather forecasts and on here again!

My mother just informed me she heard thunder as well?

Nothing showing up for t and l??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Horrible here now in north meath, really heavy rain in a very strong wind, day for the fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

vicwatson wrote: »
    Nothing showing up for t and l??

Must have been a noise caused by the wind maybe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

71km/h still holding as max gust so far here. Regular gusts to 60km/h so nothing out of the ordinary really. Unless the squall to our West delivers something higher it's looking like another non event.

www.waterfordcityweather.com for live streams and data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Violent squal and very heavy rain here on M1 near castlebellingham
    Sheets of rain crossing motorway like a fog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Squall line just passed through here (West Laois) about 15 minutes ago, blue skies and much calmer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sun is out and the wind has died, grand day now

Same here in Dundalk. Squall line came through, brief blast of heavy rain. Now lovely blue skies & sunshine. Changing Irish weather eh?!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Squall has hit Dublin 15, sheets of rain and gusty. Possibly a bit of short term flight disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Squall has passed here in tippersry. But am heading East back to Dublin so hopefully don't meet it again.

Advertisement