Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong Winds & Heavy Rain Tues-Weds 26-27th Jan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

South Kerry Mountains 400 asl../ Woken earlier by gale and hail; been offline with a bug so no warning here for me. Ah well! Really wild up here. Some hail mixed in with the loud rain. Cat has insisted on going out but he has places he shelters. Temps are way up; went cold yesterday. I was out on SUnday; they said the rain would not hit until afternoon but it arrived near Mizen Head around 10 am; could not do the walk as the wind would have carried me off :eek:But had coffee etc there. The drive back across the Caha Pass was awesome. Visibility way down and sideways rain. From there to Kenmare the road conditions were getting very bad with so much lying water and the fields not recovered.. Home until next week now thankfully. Sounds high drama out there.. Take care! NB Mizen head was utterly totally awesome in the wind and rain, and no tourists... Pale beaches strewed with cockle shells...High waves crashing white over rocks.. I am in love!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I hope ME havent underestimated this wind. Quite windy in West Clare ATM and the warning hasn't even started

And there is no way boardsies would over estimate an event😜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

septictank wrote: »
    Wheelie bins all blown over, place is a mess, Dublin 7.

Same in Cork City. Recycling and toppled wheelie bins everywhere. Major clean up later on.

I wonder though about the very intelligent people who insist on attempting to put up golf umbrellas in 100km/h gusts. I almost got hit in the face by one earlier on. The guy nearly became airborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Some very strong gusts in Galway City this morning. The traffic lights were shaking as I drove to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Outrageous wind in tallaght last night, woke up to find a roof tile through my windscreen :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Just curious as to why this storm wasn't named? It felt much stronger and more sustained than some of the others this winter where I was in West Dublin. Its still raging outside at the minute and feels like the office windows are going to blow in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

WSW'ly winds gusting up to 87 km/h in Galway city in the last hour with mean speeds of 41.8 km/h
    Rainfall since midnight 21.4mm

The combination of wind and high tide has flooded Salthill Car Park again

375918.jpeg

Photo Aisling Daly via @GalwayIndo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nothing out of the ordinary here in my area of meath, wind was nothing special, and more importantly, not much rain either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

xband wrote: »
    Same in Cork City. Recycling and toppled wheelie bins everywhere. Major clean up later on.

I wonder though about the very intelligent people who insist on attempting to put up golf umbrellas in 100km/h gusts. I almost got hit in the face by one earlier on. The guy nearly became airborne.

Major clean up, come on I love the drama.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Lumi wrote: »
    WSW'ly winds gusting up to 87 km/h in Galway city in the last hour with mean speeds of 41.8 km/h
    Rainfall since midnight 21.4mm

The combination of wind and high tide has flooded Salthill Car Park again

I'm surprised people are still brave/silly enough to use that carpark considering how often it floods during poor weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

HighLine wrote: »
    I'm surprised people are still brave/silly enough to use that carpark considering how often it floods during poor weather.

Its called the Darwin Award

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

How long is this supposed to last does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I was thinking the same thing, unless they are tourists or not from around the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

A few strong gusts here on the coast of Mayo, nothing out of the ordinary thankfully.
    Rain has been consistent for weeks if not months now. Luckily we don't live neat any flood prone area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Rough morning out, strongest gust here in Waterford 96 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Yellow warning my ass, I wont say anymore.

Salthill this morning after a unreal night of wind

Was it? Do you have the statistics for wind over the yellow warning guidelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Rough morning out, strongest gust here in Waterford 96 km/h.

Where did you get that measurement?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Behind the Darkness

Strong gusts ardee co louth
    Feels like the strongest of the winter yet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe they just don't know and think it is their lucky day finding a parking space ;)

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Where did you get that measurement?

Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anybody got an idea of the highest gust of wind at casement last night

I ask because I have a twelve foot trampoline that was pegged down and usually takes two men to lift I found it across the garden on its side hanging over the neighbours wall this morning

It would take some wind power to do this and it's never happened before

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

Strong gusts ardee co louth
    Feels like the strongest of the winter yet

Not far from you and I agree it is very very windy. Seriously angry sea as well.

Anybody got an idea of the highest gust of wind at casement last night

I ask because I have a twelve foot trampoline that was pegged down and usually takes two men to lift I found it across the garden on its side hanging over the neighbours wall this morning

It would take some wind power to do this and it's never happened before

108 km/h up to 6am. Only second to Belmullet which had 122.5 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Nasty drive from S Sligo to Roscommon this morning with Tulsk flooded more than at any time this winter.....road must have been closed after we got thru at 8.30!! Had to go to Athlone now & doesn't seem as bad water wise.
    May have to get one of those PFD yokes if the weather gets much worse.
    Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Behind the Darkness

Manitoban wrote:
    Not far from you and I agree it is very very windy. Seriously angry sea as well.

Crazy weather , quiet a nip in the air as well... it is due to die out by evening ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

one of the most stormy nights of the winter here last night, very high loud winds all night, horrible outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

28.2mm of rain so far since midnight in Castlebar, still gusting at around 80km/hr but that is normal for us in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Definitely the loudest night of the winter. Crazy winds woke us around 5.30am. Wheelie bin day also ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Dublin, Wexford, Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford
    SW winds will strengthen again this evening and overnight and will later veer NW. Mean speeds 50 to 65 km/hr with gusts to around 90 km/hr are expected, winds will be strongest in exposed coastal fringes.

Issued:Tuesday 26 January 2016 15:00
    Valid:Tuesday 26 January 2016 21:00 to Wednesday 27 January 2016 09:00

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Wexford, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    A combination of strong winds, high tides and heavy rain brings the enhanced risk of coastal flooding overnight and at first tomorrow to exposed coastal areas.

Issued:Tuesday 26 January 2016 16:00
    Valid:Tuesday 26 January 2016 21:00 to Wednesday 27 January 2016 09:00

More warnings!

Advertisement