Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Increasingly cold this week - frost widespread, risk of snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Have to say I'd much prefer to see the rain to the grimy, diluted slop that the latest charts seem to be forecasting.

You're never happy! you weren't happy when the big freeze came either! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »

lig an roar spéartha!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Twas great just to see the blue temps in the forecast summary for the first time this winter!! BRING ON THE COLD!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Jean mentioned the possibilty of thunder in sunday night's showers. Most likely to occur as the showers run up against the hills along west coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Heavy sleet in Edinburgh reported.

Drumochter traffic cam, snowing. :)

http://trafficscotland.org/lev/view/?cam=65

And from someone on NW posting from NE Scotland...
    SNOWMAGEDDON!!!!!! -0.5c and heavy horizontal dry snow falling fast and now settling on all surfaces at 100m asl.Hows that for a grumpy old farmer who never gets excited by snow not half. Bet the cows and calves are glad we took them in last Wednesday.

Thought that might cheer up the snowlovers!

Met Eireann :
    Tomorrow

On Sunday, after a bright start in the south and east, showers will spread from the north and west to affect all parts of the country. The showers will turn to sleet or snow at times as the day goes on, especially on higher ground in the north and northwest. Feeling rather cold everywhere with fresh to strong, westerly winds. Highest temperatures 5 to 9 degrees Celsius.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hail here all day, might be a bit of snow on the mountains already.

I'm stuck on the Donegal coast until Monday morning so probably won't see much more than hail and sleet here, driving through the hills should be interesting on Monday morning though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Jean mentioned the possibilty of thunder in sunday night's showers. Most likely to occur as the showers run up against the hills along west coast.

THUNDERSNOW???? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

THUNDERSNOW???? :D

Oh I remember that last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

What I love it that "Thundersnow often produces snowfall rates in the range of 2 to 4 inches per hour."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That's because he favours wind storms and thunder in Winter. Each to his own.

By the way don't keep all the snow to yourself this week :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Harps wrote: »

I'm stuck on the Donegal coast until Monday morning so probably won't see much more than hail and sleet here, driving through the hills should be interesting on Monday morning though :)

I'll be hopefully be heading out the Muckish Gap Monday morning...unless the snow gods decide otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Harps wrote: »
    Hail here all day, might be a bit of snow on the mountains already.

One word for snow .......Menaroy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Hal1 wrote: »
    Looks how far south that 528 dam thickness is :eek:. If it comes to pass we'll have a similar snowfall to last winters.

when people say widespread snow are they just talking about north and west of the country because iv seen no reports that the east or south will even receive a dusting yet :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

jo06555 wrote: »
    Hal1 wrote: »
    Looks how far south that 528 dam thickness is :eek:. If it comes to pass we'll have a similar snowfall to last winters.

when people say widespread snow are they just talking about north and west of the country because iv seen no reports that the east or south will even receive a dusting yet :confused::(
    Ya what about us in the south east!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think the chances of things getting any colder at the end of the week than they will be Monday are vanishing with every model run. It seems the cold air will miss us to the east, with Friday showing a strong warming trend.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75811976&postcount=178

I think Sunday to early Tuesday morning will be our cold snap for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Su Campu wrote: »
    I think the chances of things getting any colder at the end of the week than they will be Monday are vanishing with every model run. It seems the cold air will miss us to the east, with Friday showing a strong warming trend.

You are always spoiling things Su Campu:p

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

this cold snap will last for few days . Its only good for Scotland,Crazy amount of snow will fall all week in Scotland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Su Campu wrote: »

I'd tend disagree there in relation to the end of the week and slightly with regard to snow potential in the next 48hrs. I also think away from immediate west coasts snow is very likely at ground level tomorrow evening in the Northwest and tomorrow night right along the west coast but particularly in the North. I'd expect the snow level to rise pretty quickly on Monday in the first half of the day. But there should be a dusting for many in those areas and any scattered showers that make it through to the East won't have to be heavy to see a dusting in other areas too as temperatures will be below freezing for most.

I also disagree with the assertion that there won't be colder weather this week after Tuesday. I already said in the OP a slightly milder period on Wednesday. It should turn colder again after that as high pressure becomes established across the country. Very cold at night and temperatures not rising all that much above freezing by day and very severe frosts. Another possible scenario is a colder Northerly flow prior to the establishment of high pressure as illustrated on the latest UKMO run.

In summary cold, wintry start...average middle...cold, wintry end though probably more for severe frost potential and ice from precipitation previously rather then any wintry precipitation at that stage on current trends would be my conclusion for the coming week.

Stick by your forecast, we will see who is right on Friday! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nice to see the snow speculation raging again this year, its funny to see how exasperated some people are getting at the suggestions of less snow than last year for the season, I think people are forgetting how really exceptional last year was, even over the year before that. If we get a prolonged snow spell it would be some going 3 years in a row but heres hoping! Either way, looking forward to the clashing opinions and forecasts! Although I think people should reign in the glee a bit this year about any big freeze, I think we have to be concious of the financial struggle it will be for some people in our communities to heat their homes sufficiently through it. Hope that doesnt come across as a lecture, its just something thats been on my mind, so bear with me

Anyway, can I ask the weather sages' opinions on potential sea conditions next weekend on the Irish sea, will be making Dublin-Holyhead ferry crossing Saturday 10th AM and back Monday 12th AM, just wondering if the battle between potential warming and potential cold outcomes might mean high winds? I dont mind if there are really, but Id prefer to bump my Swift seacat booking for a go on the grown up ferry if needs be! Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nice to see the snow speculation raging again this year, its funny to see how exasperated some people are getting at the suggestions of less snow than last year for the season, I think people are forgetting how really exceptional last year was, even over the year before that. If we get a prolonged snow spell it would be some going 3 years in a row but heres hoping! Either way, looking forward to the clashing opinions and forecasts! Although I think people should reign in the glee a bit this year about any big freeze, I think we have to be concious of the financial struggle it will be for some people in our communities to heat their homes sufficiently through it. Hope that doesnt come across as a lecture, its just something thats been on my mind, so bear with me

Anyway, can I ask the weather sages' opinions on potential sea conditions next weekend on the Irish sea, will be making Dublin-Holyhead ferry crossing Saturday 10th AM and back Monday 12th AM, just wondering if the battle between potential warming and potential cold outcomes might mean high winds? I dont mind if there are really, but Id prefer to bump my Swift seacat booking for a go on the grown up ferry if needs be! Thanks in advance
    By next Saturday you'll be able to drive straight across :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met UK have no colour warnings out for Northern Ireland so Im not getting too excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Met UK have no colour warnings out for Northern Ireland so Im not getting too excited!

What type of precipitation is falling up your way atm?

Dan :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Been busy all night but think its still just a rain/hail mix here, chilly outside but only down to 4C

NMM model is predicting the first showers to start turning to snow around 12 this morning in the northwest, on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

After a little dip to a 24 hr min of 3.1c at 0800 we are back up to 3.5c at 0900 with a few point of 3.0. Just doesn't feel cold enough yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

Advisory from Met Eireann :
    Issued at 04 December 2011 - 06:53

Weather Advisory

Sleet and snow showers later today, tonight , tomorrow and tomorrow night will give accumulations over parts of Ulster and North Connacht and possibly cause some disruption.Occasional wintry showers will also occur elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

2 degrees here. Sleet showers. Muckish mountain has a slight dusting of white.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2162.gif

ECM develops a Scandinavian High in FI. Cold air massing east and north,ready to swoop in. Low pressure blocked out to the west and low pressure to the south. Salivating.

Pity it probably won't happen....:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement