Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Will, in the current environment

• 04-04-2020 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

I imagine this could be an issue for a lot of people, and I’m not a legal person. I think it’s quite a personal dilemma / question.

I’ve lurked here for ages, but I do wonder what if someone wanted to make a Will, given the current environment. How might that work?

What would happen if they’d expressed their wishes to witnesses / their legal representation, but (due to ‘lockdown’), couldn’t get their Will witnessed?

What if their Will was witnessed via camera, as opposed to a physical presence. How would that stand up if the Will were to be challenged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

The Law Society has posted some information which covers this

https://www.lawsociety.ie/gazette/top-stories/drawing-up-a-will-in-extraordinary-times/

A neighboue can witness it through a window. You could also heed the advice of this English law firm which suggests asking the staff in your local supermarket witness it for you (https://www.axiomstone.co.uk/covid-19-witnessing-of-documents/). That would most likely depend on how chaotic your local supermarket is. I don't think a will witnessed by camera would hold up in court as it isn't really doing something in a "presence" of anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I saw a pharmacist asked to witness a will recently.
    I know some solicitors are still working.
    You could call to an office and safely physically distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Addle wrote: »
    I saw a pharmacist asked to witness a will recently.
    I know some solicitors are still working.
    You could call to an office and safely physically distance.

It’s not an immediate issue for me. I’ve hung around in this forum for ages because I find it interesting. So thought of Wills just seemed like an interesting question to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I heard videoing your will and putting it in with the actual document would hold up if there is no other will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I heard videoing your will and putting it in with the actual document would hold up if there is no other will.

Sounds reasonable. But does that require a change in law? Circumstances are so different now, I think it’s a very interesting question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement