Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retrofit HID

Options
  • 02-04-2020 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Has anyone retrofitted HIDs to their bike?

I'm thinking about retrofitting HIDs to my 98 CBR 600. I want to do it properly and fit a projector lens so I'm not blinding oncoming traffic. I'm thinking about getting the parts on ebay.

I've seen pics of it done on a CBR and it looks great.

I might as well do work on the bike while were on lockdown haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not a CBR, but I do know someone who did it on a GS.

I know some one who did it on a Triumph 1050 triple as well.

Complete waste of time. A big ball of white light that both blinds people and fails to light up the way at the same time - I didn't even think it was possible.

So I have to ask; what's driving you to do this - do your at night a lot - and not including urban btw. ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Blanchy90 wrote: »

I'm thinking about retrofitting HIDs to my 98 CBR 600. I want to do it properly and fit a projector lens so I'm not blinding oncoming traffic. I'm thinking about getting the parts on ebay.

Just buy night eye leds, cost under €30 and plug and play, great light off them too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I fitted one to my first Super Tenere 1200 around 2013 . I was lucky that I only fitted one and left the other headlamp original. As galwaytt said a big ball of light and of no use. Only for the other original headlight I could not see very far ahead. I changed it back to original after two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Thanks for your opinions

I might just go for led instead.

Main reasons for this are visibility to other road users (but don't want to blind anyone) and better lighting for the road. I do some trips on unlit country roads and after being caught out on my old SV650 with awful bulbs I don't want to be in that situation again.

There are plenty of unlit roads around my area and I probably wouldn't have looked at upgrading the headlight until after the summer but now is a good time to get any work done on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Changed my DL to nightbreakers few years ago never looked back. The throw and direction is excellent.

Bulbs work wonders.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Changed my DL to nightbreakers few years ago never looked back. The throw and direction is excellent.

Bulbs work wonders.

Nightbreakers have been my go to for years in cars and bikes but I want to try something different and see can I get a better result. If not I'll go back to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Fit a decent pair of LED spotlights to the bike - something like Denali or Givi. These will fill in areas around your existing light beam and make you stand out much more. Retrofitting LEDs and HIDs to older bikes invariably results in a suboptimal outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

try these guys, they do plenty of options https://www.retrofitlab.com/vehicle/honda/cbr600rr/234#cardetails

Thanks but my CBR is a 98 f3 so they don't have anything

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

Thanks but my CBR is a 98 f3 so they don't have anything

I’d still drop them a message they will have something suitable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I used to own a '98 CBR600. There is no point trying to modify the standard headlight, it works well, just carry a spare bulb as you're relying on only the one!

I find your comments about an SV650 strange, I currently own an SV1000S and it has the best headlights of any bike I've owned. AFAIK the SV650S setup is almost identical, the naked SV650 is a different story.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The original curvy SVs had awful lights.

I used to own a '98 CBR600. There is no point trying to modify the standard headlight, it works well, just carry a spare bulb as you're relying on only the one!

I find your comments about an SV650 strange, I currently own an SV1000S and it has the best headlights of any bike I've owned. AFAIK the SV650S setup is almost identical, the naked SV650 is a different story.

It was an 03 SV650s, maybe the previous owner had put awful bulbs in it. I was out on unlit country roads in a light rain and I could barely see anything in front of me

I might just go for nightbreakers then looks like the best / easiest option

Advertisement