Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of moving to the motor trade

• 02-04-2020 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I have a decent job in an architecture office. But I hate every day of it. My real passion is cars, and I have a good track record trading them on my own time every now and then. As well as privately selling my own vehicles usually for more than I paid when I come time to change (usually once a year)

I’m not expecting to fall head over heels for a career in car sales, after all it is just another job but it is at least closer to my passion than I will ever get sitting at screen mindlessly drawing lines. I will at least be talking to customers, working with a product I am passionate for and know inside out already, as well as gaining experience to potentially go out on my own.

If there are any motor traders / salesmen on here I have a few questions. (Even a PM of the answers would be great if you don’t want to answer on here)

- what would a junior sales in a main dealer (Bmw Audi Mercedes) be earning before commission

- how many sales per month and how much commission would one expect to be taking in a Dublin main dealer.

- what does your daily routine in the dealership consist of, a day in the life if you will.

Any insight appreciated

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't work in it but I honestly couldn't think of a worse time to be looking at trying to get into the motor trade. The motor industry in general and motor trade here are going to be one of the hardest hit as a result of this health crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jordanfaf

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't work in it but I honestly couldn't think of a worse time to be looking at trying to get into the motor trade. The motor industry in general and motor trade here are going to be one of the hardest hit as a result of this health crisis.

I appreciate that. I’m not talking about jumping ship right this second. Architecture is hardly a recession proof profession either 😅

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Have to agree 100%
    The industry is going to be absolutely fecked after this one.

OP stick with your architecture job...the motor trade is and if Im being completely honest one of the worst professions to work in at a junior level ie junior salesman,apprentice etc.

You have to be wary of what you are getting into--the pay will be **** as a junior sales person . A junior saleman is one step up from a shelf stacker in a supermarket....actually more like the trolley person.

You will do the ****tiest jobs in the dealership..cleaning cars,delivering and collecting vehicles,emptying bins. Basically a slave for the senior sales people.You`ll end up doing a lot of the donkey work for them while they get the commission at the end of the month.

As well as that a junior salesman doesn't really have a training path. You could be a "junior" salesman for years before you earn a cent in commission.

If you do decide to enter the industry just go in knowing what you are getting into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

You have a passion for cars right?
    Do you have a passion for sales though?

The motor trade is horrible. Keep away is my advice.
    It will also destroy your passion for cars in the long term.
    Don't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

My advice in general to anyone is not to move into a career in what you like doing in your spare time, as the reason you likely enjoy it is because you do it at your own pace, as a switch off from work and enjoy the nicer aspects of it from a distance.

As soon as it becomes your job or your business, everything changes, targets need to be met, deadlines constantly looming, the cars/items you once loved just become the product and it gets to a stage where you don't even see it any more. Constant problem solving, dealing with complaints, fixing f-ups, same as any business.

My cousin works in sales for Audi in a major UK city and its a demanding job, I get the impression he's far from in love with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Agreed, I work in automotive manufacturing for multinational, so quite well insulated really from the day to day struggles that this has caused the motor trade here, and even we are already taking a hammering due to this.

Give yourself a few months at least, now is absolutely not the time to be jumping from what you say is a decent career to bottom of the latter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If there is a job that needs doing, but no one can be bothered doing it, that's what a junior does.

No milk, send a junior to Tesco. Car stuck down the back of the yard so you need to move 7 motors to get it, in pissing rain? That's a job for a junior. Car needs delivering to Donegal and there's nothing to come back in? Send a junior, they can get the bus or train back.

At least 6 months of being a total dogsbody who isn't allowed to sell in our places. Can only talk to customers on Saturdays and can't complete a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s a sales job primarily. Don’t do it for the love of cars.
    Your timing is particularly bad too.
    Passion for cars or knowledge of them will only get you so far. You have to be able to sell things to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

To lose your job, do it without passion.
    To lose your passion, do it as a job.

- MetzgerMeister 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

To lose your job, do it without passion.
    To lose your passion, do it as a job.

- MetzgerMeister 2020

That's actually a great quote. And so so true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Just ramp up your wheeling and dealing on the side and keep the day job . If you’re as good as you think you are, a natural progression would be for the wheeling and dealing to take over eventually .
    Also Don’t be afraid to declare a bit to the revenue , before they come to you , there’s no law against making a few quid unlike some eejits would have you believe. However a trade policy might be the showstopper for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s a sales job primarily. Don’t do it for the love of cars.
    Your timing is particularly bad too.
    Passion for cars or knowledge of them will only get you so far. You have to be able to sell things to succeed.

From my experience dealing with dealers from customer prospective - very fecking accurate.
    I encountered salesperson, who doesn't even know it's own car line up they sell and appearantly he worked there for 15 years. He was a great bull****ter thought.

Op might have passion for cars, but reality of being cars sales guy is selling boring eco boxes, to families or old ladies. You will be lucky to work for a brand that has a few tasty motors, that you might have knowledge and homework done on, but having such customer walk in to dealership will be like seeing a unicorn.

On the other hand, my buddy got very friendly with independent dealer. At the stage where he was helping him and working for him selling cars on weekends, before this plague hit. He really loved it. Thing is, a lot of it, was due to it being independent garage, only two of them actually doing sales, the owner would not just bring bog standard cookie cutter stock. He would bring high spec cars and my buddy could test drive them. That experience would not be same as junior sales minion in corporate brand dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My advice in general to anyone is not to move into a career in what you like doing in your spare time, as the reason you likely enjoy it is because you do it at your own pace, as a switch off from work and enjoy the nicer aspects of it from a distance.

As someone who had a huge interest in cars from a young age, I can't stress this enough. If you enjoy cars, DO NOT enter the Motortrade. You will soon lose all interest.

I used to attend every car show in the country with my father etc and i've made some great life long friends through cars as a hobby.

My old boss said to me about 5 years ago "You really need to get a different hobby, you can't have a passion for cars and work with them, you'll soon hate them".

He was right.

Haven't been to a show in years and I just generally have completely lost interest in them as a hobby.

I can PM you some of the financials if you like, but if financials are a concern for you, i don't think the "Junior" motortrade role is for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I’ve loved cars all my life and sold cars for two different dealerships for a few years when I was in my 20’s. I hated it. Long hours and very few car sales people get to see the kind of cars that you really would like to own or drive. In one place I worked there were ten sales people and none of the others were remotely interested in cars at all, all they were interested in was money. They would sell their granny for a tenner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Am I the only one that loves it???

Wages wise I'd say a junior you are looking at 17/18k basic and making high 20s to early 30s in your first year. Iv no personal experience of this it's just from chatting with lads you would meet over the years on different courses or training events.

The job itself can be the best and worst all in the space of a week but I cant remember a day in the last 10 years where i got the fear or didnt want to go to work and I still get the buz I got at the start.

Financially it can be a very rewarding career, my last 4 years have been amazing financially, I won't put figures up here but feel free to drop me a pm if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I don't work in car sales or in the motor industry. But OP the way I see it you don't like your current job at all. So what would be the harm in looking to move into the industry as a Junior salesman to really try it you would want to give it a year. If after the year you don't like it simply move back. In your case its really just a matter of interviewing and getting a role not like you need to go to college for 4 years and invest massive money so I can't see the harm in trying it or what's actually to lose. Chances are you will kind of either love it or hate it. If you love it great if you hate it sure you don't like your current job so not really a whole lot worse off and can just move back.

Obviously you will have to ride it out for 6 months to a year at least to see what way things go first before trying to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

aaakev wrote: »
    Am I the only one that loves it???

Wages wise I'd say a junior you are looking at 17/18k basic and making high 20s to early 30s in your first year. Iv no personal experience of this it's just from chatting with lads you would meet over the years on different courses or training events.

The job itself can be the best and worst all in the space of a week but I cant remember a day in the last 10 years where i got the fear or didnt want to go to work and I still get the buz I got at the start.

Financially it can be a very rewarding career, my last 4 years have been amazing financially, I won't put figures up here but feel free to drop me a pm if you want.

I agree.

I'm in aftersales not sales but I couldn't be happier. Still enjoy cars as a hobby and as you say, never go to work with the fear, never have Glenroe syndrome on a Sunday night.

I think a good route to avoiding the cars as a hobby/ burnout thing is not being a brand fanboy :rolleyes:

If you like BMW's, dont go working for BMW etc. You'll have notions it'll be all advising guys with performance models the best tyre choices and that type of thing and in reality you'll spend most of your time having OAP's whinge at you that their Doro Easyphone wont connect to the latest MMI and that €45 is too expensive for a set of wipers for a 12 month old 5 series.

I think it's also worth considering aftersales as an option, the entry level basic would be better (top end OTE probably not as good), work spread is good in that it's not as dog eat dog, progression is usually quicker for good individuals, hours and days are more regulated and every day is a different challenge too, as cliche as that sounds.

Even with aftersales you have to have a keen interest in selling and making money, "if the dealer is making money, you're making money", but you're role is also creating and maintaining relationships with previous and prospective purchasers and trying to find the balance between taking care of people and avoiding being exploited too. There's a lot in it but if you're good at it it's rewarding.

Starting as a service advisor you'd probably come in on a mid 20's basic and low 30's OTE, good experienced service advisors would get a mid 30's basic and could be doing up to 50k OTE in a well set up busy dealer. Then you can progress through to service manager, aftersales manager depending on the dealer, area, brand etc if you are willing to put in a year or two.

This side of the industry is a revolving door of staff as a lot of people dont take to it for a variety of different reasons but that does mean that if you stick it out and you are any use at it, opportunitys to move upwards do crop up reasonably often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

My neighbours son has 2 garages in Cork,one v established,they reckon they could be out of business soon

My neighbours son has 2 garages in Cork,one v established,they reckon they could be out of business soon

What kind of garages? Main dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You'd be off of your head to go into the motor trade if you are in architecture already. I assume you are a technician or something? Would you not consider progressing to be an architect or something? That way you'll have much more varied work and meeting people rather than just reviting and cadding.

• Advertisement

To be fair, I done a PLC in autocad and bachelors in arch tech, was very handy with Revit but there wasn't much industry demand for it, think it was still a bit new at the time. What's a good arch tech making in Dublin with a few years experience? Would you earn €40-45k gross?

Going from arch tech to architect wouldn't be for a lot of lads IMO. Similar titles but worlds apart in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

To be fair, I done a PLC in autocad and bachelors in arch tech, was very handy with Revit but there wasn't much industry demand for it, think it was still a bit new at the time. What's a good arch tech making in Dublin with a few years experience? Would you earn €40-45k gross?

Going from arch tech to architect wouldn't be for a lot of lads IMO. Similar titles but worlds apart in a lot of ways.
    A **** salesman should earn more than that!

Someone could tell me I'm miles out with those figures now, I could be wrong.

Would you earn €40-45k gross?

Id say salary would be in or around that with a few years experience.

Perhaps not but he should certainly consider it or perhaps some other field of architecture and construction related profession as with the technician experience he will have a head start and a good appreciation for what the work will involve.

An architect would be a much more varied and interesting job, meeting more people than a technician who is likely spending all their time behind a desk doing Revit with limited outside interaction.

I'm just saying he could consider it. Tbh, it would be hard to pick a worse industry to go into than the motor trade.

I am sometimes baffled that fellas still become mechanics. It doesn't even pay a living wage ffs. Only the navy would be on worse pay. If I ever had a child that suggesting that they'd become a mechanic I'd slap the idea out of them.

Id say salary would be in or around that with a few years experience.

Perhaps not but he should certainly consider it or perhaps some other field of architecture and construction related profession as with the technician experience he will have a head start and a good appreciation for what the work will involve.

An architect would be a much more varied and interesting job, meeting more people than a technician who is likely spending all their time behind a desk doing Revit with limited outside interaction.

I'm just saying he could consider it. Tbh, it would be hard to pick a worse industry to go into than the motor trade.

I am sometimes baffled that fellas still become mechanics. It doesn't even pay a living wage ffs. Only the navy would be on worse pay. If I ever had a child that suggesting that they'd become a mechanic I'd slap the idea out of them.

The wages are rising for mechanics (well heavy diesel ones) i turned down e19 ph plus diesel card/van few months ago

What it will be like after all this shutdown,or if il still have a job is another qs altogether

That's bad money for a job that'll have you half crippled by the age of 40 and at risk of god knows what diseases from all the dust and shíte and chemicals you'll breath in and soak through your skin.

Someone could tell me I'm miles out with those figures now, I could be wrong.

Don't you reckon an experienced main dealer sales man would make €40k in a good year?
    aaakev wrote: »
    A **** salesman should earn more than that!

Would they?
    The wages are rising for mechanics (well heavy diesel ones) i turned down e19 ph plus diesel card/van few months ago.............

Most mechanics would be on half way between that and the minimum wage. Many rely on overtime or jobs on the side to enhance the take home. There's little doubt it's a poor return for a 4 year trade and ongoing training. On the positive side I reckon if you are in that game you should be grand post Covid, buses, HGVs etc should all be rocking away again quite soon.
    That's bad money for a job that'll have you half crippled by the age of 40 and at risk of god knows what diseases from all the dust and shíte and chemicals you'll breath in and soak through your skin.

There are indeed health risks, dirty job. Ergonomically a disaster.

Augeo wrote: »
    Don't you reckon an experienced main dealer sales man would make €40k in a good year?

I shouldn't act like I've huge insight into saleman salaries, there's a few salesmen and ex salesmen on here might be able to give an insight.

Personally I'd say an experienced salesman with a good brand in a city dealership is probably making well in excess 40k OTE but a middling salesman with a mediocre brand in a "down the country" dealer wouldn't seem much more than that I wouldnt think.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jordanfaf

Thanks all for the insights.

I am an arch technologist. No way I want to spend the money or time to become an architect. From what I’ve seen in my short time the career is fraught with stress, long hours lawsuits and comparatively low pay. It’s a labour of love for most, a love which I don’t have.

I’m in the fortunate position where I can afford to take an initial pay cut, or even lose a salary all together for a little while. I have a good bit of savings and living rent free at home with food on the table and supportive parents.

Ill have to have a good think of what I want to move on to before I waste any more time in this industry. I feel it’s just not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I shouldn't act like I've huge insight into saleman salaries, there's a few salesmen and ex salesmen on here might be able to give an insight.

Personally I'd say an experienced salesman with a good brand in a city dealership is probably making well in excess 40k OTE but a middling salesman with a mediocre brand in a "down the country" dealer wouldn't seem much more than that I wouldnt think.

I would say any salesman worth their salt in any garage, be in “down the country” or not, is doing far in excess of 40k.

What also needs to be taken into account is the fact most will have a phone, nice car, insurance tax and a fuel allowance included also. If you added up what a Regular Joe Soap would have to earn gross to cover that kind of stuff you wouldn’t feel adding another nice few bob to the numbers.

Advertisement