Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run around tractor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/david-brown/24673223

David Brown 1390 here. I'd say the seller would take the 135 as a trade in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

almostover wrote: »

Grand if you will only spend an hour or so at a time up on the tractor though and they are dead simple to maintain with good parts availability.

Exactly what the OP wants, I think..... Plus, a 100 series Massey will sell again no bother whenever you want to get rid of it. It wouldn't matter what condition it's in. Indeed, if it was well minded, it would increase in value.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Little Deere with a loader and grab, bid him 4000 and keep the 135 for posterity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

hopeso wrote: »
    Exactly what the OP wants, I think..... Plus, a 100 series Massey will sell again no bother whenever you want to get rid of it. It wouldn't matter what condition it's in. Indeed, if it was well minded, it would increase in value.....

You always hear this about certain older tractors. 1,2and 3 series Massey's. Some of the older Fords etc. In general those days are gone as these tractors are no longer functional on farms. No farmer dealing with any amount of silage will look at a 1 series. Most 3 series have are floor change and trying to do any amount of yard work is a pain where you have to move two gear sticks to go from forward to reverse if you want any sort of speed maintained.

Yes some of these tractors are what the OP is looking for but thinking that they will maintain there value is not true. In reality most tractors you buy in what OP wants will maintain there value to a certain extent but functionality is the requirement with a low maintenance bill

Slava Ukrainii

You always hear this about certain older tractors. 1,2and 3 series Massey's. Some of the older Fords etc. In general those days are gone as these tractors are no longer functional on farms. No farmer dealing with any amount of silage will look at a 1 series. Most 3 series have are floor change and trying to do any amount of yard work is a pain where you have to move two gear sticks to go from forward to reverse if you want any sort of speed maintained.

Yes some of these tractors are what the OP is looking for but thinking that they will maintain there value is not true. In reality most tractors you buy in what OP wants will maintain there value to a certain extent but functionality is the requirement with a low maintenance bill

With the Op's budget, they shouldn't be looking beyond a 100 series Massey, or similar Ford. Absolutely, they are getting long in the tooth now, and lack the comfort of newer machines, but they are still more than capable of doing the work outlined in the OP's opening post.
    The OP seems to be drawn to Internationals, but, their budget will only get them a below average example of an XL cab International, while it will get them an above average 100 series Massey. While any tractor will give bother, the Massey should be more reliable, if only because there's less to go wrong on it, and will be easier to repair too. There will always be demand for those old Masseys too. So, it will sell again in future, no matter what condition it's in. The OP has a 135 in poor condition, so can test that theory for themselves by putting it up on Donedeal. Try selling an XL International in poor condition, needing repairs and see how well you get on. Indeed, the last one the OP linked here is on Donedeal for ages now......

• Advertisement

With the Op's budget, they shouldn't be looking beyond a 100 series Massey, or similar Ford. Absolutely, they are getting long in the tooth now, and lack the comfort of newer machines, but they are still more than capable of doing the work outlined in the OP's opening post.
    The OP seems to be drawn to Internationals, but, their budget will only get them a below average example of an XL cab International, while it will get them an above average 100 series Massey. While any tractor will give bother, the Massey should be more reliable, if only because there's less to go wrong on it, and will be easier to repair too. There will always be demand for those old Masseys too. So, it will sell again in future, no matter what condition it's in. The OP has a 135 in poor condition, so can test that theory for themselves by putting it up on Donedeal. Try selling an XL International in poor condition, needing repairs and see how well you get on. Indeed, the last one the OP linked here is on Donedeal for ages now......

165 will at best really struggle to lift modern bales. if it is a round axle its lift is technically no better than that of a135. The whole thing about buying any tractor is functionality that it will do the job required of it. I had a MF675 we capable of lifting.older bales and it had the advantage of a larger frame than a 165 giving it better balance. I not sure if it would manage newer bales as well but it might struggle IMO. I think the 165 square axle with similar lift would struggle just as well especially as it would need a lot of weight at the front to counteract weight at rear.

Slava Ukrainii

165 will at best really struggle to lift modern bales. if it is a round axle its lift is technically no better than that of a135. The whole thing about buying any tractor is functionality that it will do the job required of it. I had a MF675 we capable of lifting.older bales and it had the advantage of a larger frame than a 165 giving it better balance. I not sure if it would manage newer bales as well but it might struggle IMO. I think the 165 square axle with similar lift would struggle just as well especially as it would need a lot of weight at the front to counteract weight at rear.

True, I had a square axle 165 15 years ago, and it was managing bales back then. I'd say modern bales would test it, depending on dry matter of course. But, the budget is the limiting factor here, and anything more modern, or heavy weight, is going to be pretty rough at that price. A Zetor crystal might be the exception.....

True, I had a square axle 165 15 years ago, and it was managing bales back then. I'd say modern bales would test it, depending on dry matter of course. But, the budget is the limiting factor here, and anything more modern, or heavy weight, is going to be pretty rough at that price. A Zetor crystal might be the exception.....

A square axel has a 1.6T lift capacity at eyes at back, the round axel only has 1.25T. They both have the added disadvantage that they are short tractors making balance an issue even if they can lift. A square axler would lift those bales if the pump and filter(mesh filter ) was ok it would need weight at front.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have a half tonne on the front of the 7840 for the double bale handler and the fusion bales would have her near rising. Diesel tank full and all.

I’d agree their day as a main tractor is gone, but it is long long gone and yet values are being maintained especially on the likes of the 135. A lot of farms will have one as a second or 3rd tractor as they are handy for small jobs or when you need a second tractor.

We have the modern 4wd with every comfort, suspension, a/c, air seat, loader etc but still have the old 135 that’s on the farm 35 years or so. Haybob permanentally attached during silage as it does all the turning and rowing leaving the other tractor free for drawing, cutting etc, throwing out a few bags of fert with a small spreader rather than the getting out the big spreader for a 3 acre field, transport box for small stuff here and there etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,006 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I’d agree their day as a main tractor is gone, but it is long long gone and yet values are being maintained especially on the likes of the 135. A lot of farms will have one as a second or 3rd tractor as they are handy for small jobs or when you need a second tractor.

We have the modern 4wd with every comfort, suspension, a/c, air seat, loader etc but still have the old 135 that’s on the farm 35 years or so. Haybob permanentally attached during silage as it does all the turning and rowing leaving the other tractor free for drawing, cutting etc, throwing out a few bags of fert with a small spreader rather than the getting out the big spreader for a 3 acre field, transport box for small stuff here and there etc etc.

Not to mention the diesel you'd be burning with the big 4wd.

Contractor near here with a massive big Fendt and you'd see him the odd time over the summer heading off with a tedder on the back of it

The OP isn’t looking for a main tractor...The title of the thread is run around tractor. The current tractor on the farm is a 135, so maybe lifting bales isn’t such a requirement? Maybe the contractor stacks the bales? In which case, a 165 or similar would cope with hauling a bale from the stack for feeding. Anything more modern is going to require an increased budget...

The OP isn’t looking for a main tractor...The title of the thread is run around tractor. The current tractor on the farm is a 135, so maybe lifting bales isn’t such a requirement? Maybe the contractor stacks the bales? In which case, a 165 or similar would cope with hauling a bale from the stack for feeding. Anything more modern is going to require an increased budget...

OP said round bale lifting was a requirement.

Slava Ukrainii

OP said round bale lifting was a requirement.

A 165 will lift a bale...OK, there may be torn plastic where it drags on the ground, but it would be fine to bring a bale from the stack to the feeding area. A neighbor here feeds all his bales with a McHale bale splitter on a DB 1290, which is not a heavy tractor.
    I agree with a lot of the opinions voiced, but at the end of the day, the budget is €5000, and that really limits the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/856-international/24633316

2wd IH 856xl
    Great heavy duty backend in these with a hefty lift
    Looks tidy
    Decent power loader fitted
    They're comfortable and easy to drive.
    Asking £6000

Only immediate blemish to stand out is the lower right front glass has been replaced by plastic which has yellowed

A 165 will lift a bale...OK, there may be torn plastic where it drags on the ground, but it would be fine to bring a bale from the stack to the feeding area. A neighbor here feeds all his bales with a McHale bale splitter on a DB 1290, which is not a heavy tractor.
    I agree with a lot of the opinions voiced, but at the end of the day, the budget is €5000, and that really limits the options.

DB 1290 is nearly half a ton heavier than a 165 and here hydraulic pump is stronger as well 7.2GPM compared to 4.5GPM. It would be a slightly stronger tractor. I know the budget limits the options but I look towards a Zetor or an international.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have a half tonne on the front of the 7840 for the double bale handler and the fusion bales would have her near rising. Diesel tank full and all.

Ive a 912 ursus which draws fusion bales.on a double bale handler.
    250kg of weight on the nose and she has loader brackets on her.
    Not a bother to it. The bale handler was designed and built for it. The back of the lift arms is an inch from the bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

OP I wouldn't look past a nice tidy Zetor Crystal for what you're planning to use the tractor for. Big roomy flat deck cab, 80hp, good traction and will lift a bale. Can get a nice tidy one for your budget too like this one: https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-chrystal-8011tractor/24678789

Or this one: https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-crystal-8011/24225728

If the budget will stretch this one is a beauty:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-crystal-8011/23992542

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭trg

Hijacking somewhat so apologies. We've an outfarm that the father tends to over the winter. Goes over every day to throw a bale into a feeder. It's a 4 mile round trip and takes him a good while. I do the weekends and I don't mind as it's nearly therapeutic but got thinking today, would there be anything to be said for hiring a tractor from somewhere say for 3 months and leaving it over there?

The hours would be very low. It would be fairly handy and I reckon I could do more e.g. every day on the way to work.

If it was to be savage money wouldn't bother and definitely do not need a 2nd tractor full time but with full tax write off, sparing on the tyres and diesel plus opening up the extra labour unit (me) maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Anyone ever do anything like that? What kinda money I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A contractor might have an older tractor that's usually parked up in winter. It would be better off having a run. Biggest risk would be it being stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭tanko

trg wrote: »
    Hijacking somewhat so apologies. We've an outfarm that the father tends to over the winter. Goes over every day to throw a bale into a feeder. It's a 4 mile round trip and takes him a good while. I do the weekends and I don't mind as it's nearly therapeutic but got thinking today, would there be anything to be said for hiring a tractor from somewhere say for 3 months and leaving it over there?

The hours would be very low. It would be fairly handy and I reckon I could do more e.g. every day on the way to work.

If it was to be savage money wouldn't bother and definitely do not need a 2nd tractor full time but with full tax write off, sparing on the tyres and diesel plus opening up the extra labour unit (me) maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Anyone ever do anything like that? What kinda money I wonder?

If you had three feeders there you'd only need to go every three days. Two miles there and two miles back isn't that far.

Is there a farmer living beside your land who could do the job for you and throw them a few quid. I suppose insurance could be an issue, you'd need employers liability maybe.

Water John wrote: »
    A contractor might have an older tractor that's usually parked up in winter. It would be better off having a run. Biggest risk would be it being stolen.
    Thought of that alright. Unlikely to have a loader I'd imagine but can't have it every way I guess.

Thought too of taking a tractor from a dealer and giving back to him after the few months, the hours by me would be small so wouldn't be devalued and they'd be paid for it.

Risk of theft couldn't deny it but be fairly low I'd imagine given where it is

tanko wrote: »
    If you had three feeders there you'd only need to go every three days. Two miles there and two miles back isn't that far.

Is there a farmer living beside your land who could do the job for you and throw them a few quid. I suppose insurance could be an issue, you'd need employers liability maybe.
    Neither idea there would wash with the father, hed be happier just tip away himself. Which wouldn't be the end of the world either

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

I suppose it's highlighting a more important issue for the op..if that outside parcel of land can't turn enough profit to afford a 10k budget tractor..well her current budget is only 5k then maybe she needs to re consider her business plan.. she should also consider than any cheap runaround tractor will no doubt cost more money as time goes by to cover repairs..
    If it were me I'd clearly be doubling my existing budget and if the farm can't pay that back ..well she needs to find a job that actually pays

2 miles each way is nothing, even leaving the financial aspect out of it I couldn't see any sense in having a second tractor left at an out farm for such a short trip. Even on something with only a 30km box its less than 10mins each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Turbohymac wrote: »
    I suppose it's highlighting a more important issue for the op..if that outside parcel of land can't turn enough profit to afford a 10k budget tractor..well her current budget is only 5k then maybe she needs to re consider her business plan.. she should also consider than any cheap runaround tractor will no doubt cost more money as time goes by to cover repairs..
    If it were me I'd clearly be doubling my existing budget and if the farm can't pay that back ..well she needs to find a job that actually pays

The very same analogy could be used for someone buying on 10k budget. Sure why arent you spending 20k for to avoid repairs, then a 20k tractor sure someone has had the best out of it, double your budget now you have a turnkey machine worth polishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭minerleague

Anniepower wrote: »
    looking for a run around tractor for small farm that would do just the basic jobs such as topping licking and one that could lift a round bale. It’s for my elderly uncles farm and the land could do with some tidying.

He has a parked up 135 which is a non runner for the past two years (he has gotten less and less mobile the last two years) and requires far too much work to get something out of it (no cab or roll bar, radiator needs reconditioning, block may be cracked etc)

Located in the west of Ireland so anything around there but open to options. Budget would be around 5K or that, wouldn’t be used anywhere other then the farm so road worthiness wouldn’t be a necessity

new on here so OP might not see but MF 265 with perkins 4.236 engine sounds about right.
    Uncle would find controls similar etc . miser on fuel, start easily in coldest weather. have one
    here 12k hours never a spanner on engine hydraulics etc ( 1 water pump only )
    My own uncle was in same position as OPs , had heart operation needed power steering
    , easier access etc. went off + bought a tired MF 698 gave 2 years struggling with it at a time he didn't need the hassle
    My own advice ( I know not asked for!) would be do up 135 and get contractors to do as much as possible including putting 4-5 bales in 1 a week during winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

is a massey 240 a better tractor than an 250

Advertisement