Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Shutdown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Got stopped at a checkpoint this morning, told him I was going to milk cows and he started laughing at me and waved me on :o
    Well its original.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Penfailed wrote: »
    There's no debate to be had. You're wrong. Again.

Loads of countries allow you to go through a red light to turn left/right and treat it as a stop sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Loads of countries allow you to go through a red light to turn left/right and treat it as a stop sign.

Some countries allow female genital mutilation.
    That doesn't mean you should do it here when no one is looking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yeah. Cool story. Ireland isn't one of those countries, the last time I checked. The OP has 25 years experience and an advanced rider qualification, yet is advocating driving through a red light...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Any works on your own bike Pen at the mo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

blade1 wrote: »

Hope that's sarcasm...

Life ain't always empty.

Yeah. Cool story. Ireland isn't one of those countries, the last time I checked. The OP has 25 years experience and an advanced rider qualification, yet is advocating driving through a red light...

Hope you're wearing the appropriate PPE cause that's a pretty high horse you're on

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Hope you're wearing the appropriate PPE cause that's a pretty high horse you're on
    He does'nt really need PPE on this horse as
    "Breaking red lights carries 3 penalty points and fine of up to €120 on payment of the fixed charge. On court conviction the number of penalty points awarded increases to 5".
    There appears to be no excuses accepted. If doing an RSA driving test or an "Advanced Rider or ROSPA assesment, failure to obey a Red traffic light, this would result in failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

You think it's okay to jump a red light? It doesn't require an explanation.

Yes, I was the only traffic on the road and using best judgement at the time I saw that it was safe to do so, that's the explanation.
    Do you also wait for the green man - when crossing the road as a pedestrian - even if the road is clear?
    Emmersonn wrote: »
    There appears to be no excuses accepted. If doing an RSA driving test or an "Advanced Rider or ROSPA assesment, failure to obey a Red traffic light, this would result in failure.

Sure you see Garda advanced riders breaking red lights all the time and think nothing of it.

newmember? wrote: »
    Yes, using best judgement at the time I deemed it safe to do so, and I was the only traffic on the road - that's the explanation.
    Do you also wait for the green man - when crossing the road as a pedestrian - even if the road is clear?
    I don't think that there are any penalty points or fine for not waiting for the green man :D

• Advertisement

Let's be honest here. If penalty points were applied 100% then we'd all be disqualified after one ride, and cagers are the same.

We all break the law. But there's a big difference between doing so carelessly, and making a considered decision which does not adversely affect safety.

Life ain't always empty.

You said there was no debate but that's hardly true if lots of other countries do it, I don't see any harm of we implemented a turn left on red rule.

That's not what i said at all :/

That's not what i said at all :/

Yeah I know, this forum really has jumped the shark

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

How this stupid post got 6 thanks is beyond me. Yes, stupid them, trying to make the traffic flow more efficiently *facepalm*. You'd swear this was only done in some third world countries. One of the eastern European countries have had this system where you could turn right on red and decided to remove it and 2 weeks later the traffic built up and annoyance was so bad that they reintroduced it. It offer only advantages with such a system. Ireland has one of the dumbest traffic light systems I have seen. Examples:
    Traffic lights on roundabouts (****ing lol)
    No turning on reds so everyone just ends up sitting and doing nothing.
    Stupid traffic light sequence going immediately from red to green and vice versa. UK and Germany is a great example of excellent traffic light sequences.

But yes that's stupid according to you because others are doing it and we are not sheep so we will not follow these practices no matter what.

Ohio9 wrote: »
    How this stupid post got 6 thanks is beyond me. Yes, stupid them, trying to make the traffic flow more efficiently *facepalm*. You'd swear this was only done in some third world countries. One of the eastern European countries have had this system where you could turn right on red and decided to remove it and 2 weeks later the traffic built up and annoyance was so bad that they reintroduced it. It offer only advantages with such a system. Ireland has one of the dumbest traffic light systems I have seen. Examples:
    Stupid traffic light sequence going immediately from red to green and vice versa. UK and Germany is a great example of excellent traffic light sequences.

But yes that's stupid according to you because others are doing it and we are not sheep so we will not follow these practices no matter what.

Take a break.
    Relax.

UK and Germany is a great example of excellent traffic light sequences.

The UK have traffic lights on roundabouts too y'know.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In the UK most people go when the orange light comes on after the red so they have a similar system except we go on green, when it's legal. I've never seen a traffic light in Ireland go straight from green to red.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've never seen a traffic light in Ireland go straight from green to red.

That's because it doesn't happen.

• Advertisement

Take a break.
    Relax.
    Or head off to one of these wonderful countries where you can turn right on red. :D

Or head off to one of these wonderful countries where you can turn right on red. :D

Only if it's essential though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

newmember? wrote: »
    Y

Sure you see Garda advanced riders breaking red lights all the time and think nothing of it.

Gardai are allowed to break them - yes really, the traffic law does not specifically apply.

The UK have traffic lights on roundabouts too y'know.

Where did I say that they don't?

Del2005 wrote: »
    In the UK most people go when the orange light comes on after the red so they have a similar system except we go on green, when it's legal. I've never seen a traffic light in Ireland go straight from green to red.

Orange light is on for a split second. Do I really need to send a video of the differences?

Yes, **** off to those countries where they turn on red because I made a point about the system there.

Quit the job, sell the house and move over to one of these wonderful countries because they have a different traffic light system.

We are reaching critical levels of IQ here, it's over 9000.

That's because it doesn't happen.

You know exactly what I mean but chose to ignore it and said oh yes we have orange lights as well just to be right even though you know exactly what I meant when I wrote it. Genius.

Take a break.
    Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Anyway, back to the glorious lockdown. Today's most-read on RTE:
    As of today, over 1,000 Swedes have died from Covid-19, an increase of 114 deaths on the previous day's figure and around 11,440 have been infected, out of a population of 10 million.

Compare that with Ireland, where 406 people have died and over 11, 000 people have been confirmed infected, but the Irish population is less than half Sweden’s.

Draw your own conclusions as to the cost and effect of our policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Orange light is on for a split second. Do I really need to send a video of the differences?

Doesn't matter how long the orange is on for as it's not the signal to go yet in the UK they all go on orange. I've driven in all 3 countries so I know how their lights work.

Advertisement