Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dirtbike trail use legality’s

Options
  • 27-03-2020 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi ,

Wondering what restrictions are on dirtbikes for use on seemingly private trails such as forest trails people would usually walk on and beach’s can’t seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Say a forest trail has a gate to stop a car but a bike can easily slip through is this still prohibited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yes. You will see moto x bikes on some mountains and in forests but these are well off the beaten track and still not allowed to be there. Certainly don't bring a moto x bike on a walking trail that's just a stupid idea.

Can I use an off-road vehicle in Coillte forests?

No. Off-road vehicles are not allowed to be used in our forests and are currently banned under Coillte’s by-laws. Failure to comply with this can result in the seizure of your vehicle and a hefty fine.

Taken from here

https://www.coillte.ie/faqs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Of course you can't. On seemingly private ground? Not unless you have the permission of the owner at least, no you cannot.

Anyone who thinks it is OK to tear around walking paths is of their heads.
    What if you tear around a corner and hit a child? What will you do then?

Dirt bikes are an absolute scourge on forests and uplands in ireland. They destroy paths and dig up the ground letting erosion take hold. They make paths dangeorus for families out walking and they disturb wildlife and the tranquility of these usually quiet areas. Fellas think they have some sort of right to bring a dirtbike up the side of a mountain. It is incredibly rude and irresponsible.

Those things should be used used only on your own land, land of someone who has given you permission, or on a track intended for their use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 madkiller

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Yes. You will see moto x bikes on some mountains and in forests but these are well off the beaten track and still not allowed to be there. Certainly don't bring a moto x bike on a walking trail that's just a stupid idea.

Can I use an off-road vehicle in Coillte forests?

No. Off-road vehicles are not allowed to be used in our forests and are currently banned under Coillte’s by-laws. Failure to comply with this can result in the seizure of your vehicle and a hefty fine.

Taken from here

https://www.coillte.ie/faqs/

Perfect mate cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Or go when there's no one there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There is very few places to legally use a motor vehicle off road and most of them are private businesses doing their it on their own property. I'd like if we did it like the USA some places are for vehicles and others are totally prohibited for vehicles, but no in Ireland its ban ban ban

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

H_Lime wrote: »
    Or go when there's no one there;)

? Always a good chance of people about, never mind tearing up the ground. Live and let live is the best motto but trail bikes should best stick to private land with owners permission and/or dedicated tracks/ facilities.

Yes, live and let live:)

the reason they are banned is because they cause massive damage to paths and land. My family have land near a scenic mountain area and bikes have some paths absolutely cut to pieces and extensive erosion is visible in other areas.

We have had fences and boundaries damaged and my father had to run them out of the place on a number of occasions. they were using the passage to access the mountain.

None of these characters would be anywhere to be seen if any of the damage to be fixed needed to be paid for.

I agree with them being banned. I think they have no place in public amenity areas. People should confine their use to their own land or tracks intended for that use and not be inflicting it on the public or other landowners.

And again, a lot of these areas are public amenities and accessible for walkers etc. Are these contraptions insured? What if they hit someone and cause an injury or worse with their reckless stunts. And from what I have seen that is exactly what goes on. reckless speeding and messing by young men and teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

the reason they are banned is because they cause massive damage to paths and land. My family have land near a scenic mountain area and bikes have some paths absolutely cut to pieces and extensive erosion is visible in other areas.

We have had fences and boundaries damaged and my father had to run them out of the place on a number of occasions. they were using the passage to access the mountain.

None of these characters would be anywhere to be seen if any of the damage to be fixed needed to be paid for.

I agree with them being banned. I think they have no place in public amenity areas. People should confine their use to their own land or tracks intended for that use and not be inflicting it on the public or other landowners.

And again, a lot of these areas are public amenities and accessible for walkers etc. Are these contraptions insured? What if they hit someone and cause an injury or worse with their reckless stunts. And from what I have seen that is exactly what goes on. reckless speeding and messing by young men and teenagers.

You have my full sympathy - these recreational scramblers and quads should be seized if they are loose on private land without permission or public land. Ditto for feckers on those jet skis that blast up and down the shorelines of lakes.

On other hand, there are farmers that use quads etc., to get about to check stock. That's fair enough especially for those getting on in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

BarryD2 wrote: »
    On other hand, there are farmers that use quads etc.

Farmers on quads should have registration, insurance and be legally required to wear helmets. Far too many of these toolbags bumbling around on public roads with insufficient attention to their surroundings. Live and let live, the same rules must apply to everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

madkiller wrote: »
    Hi ,

Wondering what restrictions are on dirtbikes for use on seemingly private trails such as forest trails people would usually walk on and beach’s can’t seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Say a forest trail has a gate to stop a car but a bike can easily slip through is this still prohibited?

Unless its on private land with express consent of the owner, mechanically propelled vehicles need a registration, to be taxed and insured.
    Most of those bikes can't be registered, taxed or insured for use on the roads.
    After what happened to that poor fella in the park I wouldn't want to be involved in an accident while riding one on a beach. Currently it's a legal grey area expect it to change. Injure someone though and you'll be held liable.
    If ya want to ride find a track, or private land. If not do like the rest of us and just ride road bikes, Irelands not an incredibly bike friendly country.

Farmers on quads should have registration, insurance and be legally required to wear helmets. Far too many of these toolbags bumbling around on public roads with insufficient attention to their surroundings. Live and let live, the same rules must apply to everybody.

Legally 100% are obliged to if on a public road, but when have they ever done as they're supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can cycle on most public land and there's a good few tracks for them, they travel as fast downhill as a scrambler but don't make any noise or have insurance what happens when they hit someone?

Why are bicycles allowed on public lands, along with publicly funded tracks being built for them, and not scramblers? At least start dedicating areas for vehicular usage and then clamp down on usage everywhere else?

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can cycle on most public land and there's a good few tracks for them, they travel as fast downhill as a scrambler but don't make any noise or have insurance what happens when they hit someone?

Why are bicycles allowed on public lands, along with publicly funded tracks being built for them, and not scramblers? At least start dedicating areas for vehicular usage and then clamp down on usage everywhere else?

Because to be in a public area mechanically propelled vehicles need to be taxed, registered and insured.
    A free wheeling bike which weighs a fraction of the weight won't do as much damage as a driven wheel will.
    They hit someone and hurt or kill them same thing happens as someone riding a dirt bike, civil case and possibly criminal if bad enough.
    Answer to the dedicated areas is simple, Ireland isn't bike friendly.

I ride but bikes have no place in areas like beaches or forests, it's bad enough riding on the road here. Remember people step out in front of us on roads they'll 100% do it anywhere else.

Because to be in a public area mechanically propelled vehicles need to be taxed, registered and insured.
    A free wheeling bike which weighs a fraction of the weight won't do as much damage as a driven wheel will.
    They hit someone and hurt or kill them same thing happens as someone riding a dirt bike, civil case and possibly criminal if bad enough.
    Answer to the dedicated areas is simple, Ireland isn't bike friendly.

I ride but bikes have no place in areas like beaches or forests, it's bad enough riding on the road here. Remember people step out in front of us on roads they'll 100% do it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Or don't buy a poxy bike unless you have access to somewhere that you have permission on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I personally think appropriate facilities should be built for such activities, it looks like great fun, but since theres very few facilities around the country, this introduces problems, lads end up in places that are simply inappropriate and dangerous for all. We ll never be able to stop people from engaging in these activities, and why should we, but we need to make it safe for everyone.

Oh and riders, if you discover trails that seem to have been built for other purposes such as mountain biking, walking etc, please stay off them, as your bikes can absolutely annihilate these trails, and can make them unusable for their intended purposes. A lot of hard work goes into creating and maintaining these trails, a single passing of a trail bike can completely annihilate a trail, making it unusable, sometimes indefinitely. Thank you, and have fun

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I personally think appropriate facilities should be built for such activities, it looks like great fun, but since theres very few facilities around the country, this introduces problems, lads end up in places that are simply inappropriate and dangerous for all. We ll never be able to stop people from engaging in these activities, and why should we, but we need to make it safe for everyone.

Oh and riders, if you discover trails that seem to have been built for other purposes such as mountain biking, walking etc, please stay off them, as your bikes can absolutely annihilate these trails, and can make them unusable for their intended purposes. A lot of hard work goes into creating and maintaining these trails, a single passing of a trail bike can completely annihilate a trail, making it unusable, sometimes indefinitely. Thank you, and have fun

Was with you until you said why should we stop people doing it without permission.

I'd imagine if you lived besides a frequented trail youd be on here posting a very different opinion tbf.

listermint wrote:
    I'd imagine if you lived besides a frequented trail youd be on here posting a very different opinion tbf.

Probably, but I have been negatively impacted by the use of these bikes as well, I'm obviously a trail builder, and some of the biggest problems we ve encountered, and still do, is trail riders, some simply have no respect, not just for trail builders, but for other users, including locals. I can completely understand where you're coming from, I regularly talk to locals negatively impacted by this, they also enjoy the use of the trails we continually create, many offering help, these trail bikes drive them insane, but I still believe facilities need to be created for them, attempts of blocking them, simply won't work.

Build trails for them and I can guarantee youll still have half riding other areas that's just people.

Provision doesn't work in isolation you need enforcement too.

• Advertisement

20191013-130136.jpg
    :)

listermint wrote:
    Build trails for them and I can guarantee youll still have half riding other areas that's just people.

You re probably right here also, baring in mind, us mountain bikers are doing the exact same thing, our trails are illegally built, everyone knows this, including the rangers, but this has never been a problem, as we are very particular when designing and building trails, always keeping in mind other users, particularly pedestrians, and the land of course. It is possible to create trails that are fun for users and keeps everyone safe as possible, it just requires creativity and awareness of the needs of others, particularly pedestrians, who can be very vulnerable in such circumstances. Trail bikes are another story though, with a different set of problems, but I do believe it's possible to create a happy medium for all, as we do.
    listermint wrote:
    Provision doesn't work in isolation you need enforcement too.

Yup, I do think trail bikes need enforcement, but the same could be said for mountain bikes to, a collision with a mountain bike could mean severe injury or death, but I'd class trail bikes as being more dangerous, but that could be debated.

IMG-3892.jpg
    BropBropBropBrop:o

H_Lime wrote: »
    IMG-3892.jpg
    BropBropBropBrop:o

funnily enough, this isnt exactly maturity in how to engage in this issue, you may not be helping yourself, im all for the fun, but.....

To those saying that "oh trails should be built so we can ride our motorbikes legally".
    You hardly expect the tax payer to spend the very significant amount of cash this would need just to entertain a niche hobby do you? That will NEVER happen! Not for this.

However, there is absolutely nothing stopping you and your team bike friends from clubbing together, buying done land and getting planning permission, and design and build such a facility.
    Nothing legally or in theory to stop that.

In practice tho, it will be difficult and expensive to get planning, insurance will be an issue, and there will be objections.

The same can be said for people who say that "they" should build tracks for sulky racers. Who is "they". The coounty council? Lol. Luxurious, why would they. It is the sulky crowd who should develop it. But they won't, because they couldn't care less and they are happy to flout the law and takeover motorways because there is no consequences for them monster what they do

To those saying that "oh trails should be built so we can ride our motorbikes legally".
    You hardly expect the tax payer to spend the very significant amount of cash this would need just to entertain a niche hobby do you? That will NEVER happen! Not for this.

However, there is absolutely nothing stopping you and your team bike friends from clubbing together, buying done land and getting planning permission, and design and build such a facility.
    Nothing legally or in theory to stop that.

In practice tho, it will be difficult and expensive to get planning, insurance will be an issue, and there will be objections.

a great idea but insurance is a disaster, and is getting worse, the legal mountain biking world is slowly shutting down because of this, which will more than likely force activities more so into the illegal world

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I assume you'd need planning if your going to charge for trail use , not sure if a club would need it ..,ironically you'd probably need really good fencing to keep pedestrians out ..
    The noise would drive me nuts if I lived near one though ...
    Are there electric trail bikes available ??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I assume you'd need planning if your going to charge for trail use , not sure if a club would need it ..,ironically you'd probably need really good fencing to keep pedestrians out ..
    The noise would drive me nuts if I lived near one though ...
    Are there electric trail bikes available ??

planning, insurance, you name it....

there are electric road bikes, so id imagine theres electric trail bikes to, the road bikes look like the job, very powerful to, guy martin has been blown away by the electric road bikes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    funnily enough, this isnt exactly maturity in how to engage in this issue, you may not be helping yourself, im all for the fun, but.....
    For !!!!!!! sake lighten up and head off to the cycling forum :rolleyes: Us motorcyclists understand exactly the dangers of our mode of transport both to ourselves and others.

• Advertisement

Emmersonn wrote: »
    For !!!!!!! sake lighten up and head off to the cycling forum :rolleyes:

again lads, you re really not helping yourselves here, you re rubbing people up the wrong way, you potentially could be setting yourselves up for further restrictions, im all for the laugh, but...

Advertisement