Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

The_Brood wrote: »
    Meat eating, as in what sparked this virus in the first place?.

Link plesse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Where did you see that line, out of curiousity?

The rules and eligibility criteria seem to be getting changed every five minutes. I'm a self employed photographer / sole trader. I have obviously nothing to photograph now, but I reckon I will be back in action once this whole thing ends.

I satisfied the criteria when I applied last week, which was that I experienced a temporary stop in business due to the virus. Whereas the wording you have, using the words 'ceased trading' makes it sound like you have to actually de-register and close the business.

I'd assume it's just a case of poor wording. The whole point in getting this payment is so that you can sit back and relax for a little while, knowing that you can still service bills and debts, and that you'll be able to bounce back into action from a strong position as soon as possible.

If you didn't get this payment, you'd be in headless chicken mode, and scarpering and panicking, and would have to close your doors. This is what they're trying to avoid, so it makes more sense that you are eligible based on a temporary slowdown, rather than permanently ceasing trading.

Here https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

How to qualify
    You can apply for the new COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment if you:

are an employee or self-employed
    are aged between 18 and 66 years old
    live in the Republic of Ireland
    have lost your job due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic
    have ceased trading due to the pandemic if you are self-employed

Seems black & white. What scheme did you apply for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭plodder

Maybe they changed this to make it equivalent to employees who become unemployed. ie a self-employed person would have to cease trading*

However, employees who are on short time can apply for a different benefit, but there is no equivalent for self-employed unless I'm missing something, and who face this crazy choice of shutting down completely or getting no help whatsoever. Was there not supposed to be some scheme for self-employed whose turnover dropped by a certain amount?

* the comparison seems slightly misplaced as an employee can clearly get a new job afterwards, but it's not as easy for "Joe Bloggs plumber" to cease trading one minute and then start up again three months later. It probably depends on the exact meaning of "ceased trading" but it should be allowed to be temporary, so that no artificial restrictions are placed on Joe Bloggs to get going again after it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm currently writing up my thesis. Beyond funding from my research project or the university.

Can I get any payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

My advice to self-employed would be, just apply. It's a one-page form, so obviously it's on a no questions asked basis. Apply, and if you do get some work, do it, keep your client on board, and worry about the fallout later. Revenue isn't going to be asking any awkward questions in the current climate.

I have a question, though. Anyone got any idea as to a timeframe? I applied last week, posted the application on Paddy's Day, actually, and not heard a thing since. I see someone up thread saying they got paid after 4 days. Anyone else been paid, or still waiting to hear?

PS: I'm self-employed myself

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    Maybe they changed this to make it equivalent to employees who become unemployed. ie a self-employed person would have to cease trading*

However, employees who are on short time can apply for a different benefit, but there is no equivalent for self-employed unless I'm missing something, and who face this crazy choice of shutting down completely or getting no help whatsoever. Was there not supposed to be some scheme for self-employed whose turnover dropped by a certain amount?

That'd be the logical approach and what KKV suggests above but it's very hard to find exact guidance.

Shutting down a business has all sorts of implications, if that's what 'cease trading' means? Apart from all the paper work and disruption to whatever few customers are left, a business might also be able to renege on outstanding invoices etc. Daft idea to encourage self employed to 'cease trading' altogether just to fit a scheme's criteria.

davedanon wrote: »
    My advice to self-employed would be, just apply. It's a one-page form, so obviously it's on a no questions asked basis. Apply, and if you do get some work, do it, keep your client on board, and worry about the fallout later. Revenue isn't going to be asking any awkward questions in the current climate.

That's not how things work legally in the Revenue and civil service. There are Rules and the Rules must be followed. Be grand if you do get some work and it's cash in hand - that's fine. But if payments are going through your bank account when you're supposedly closed, I wouldn't be expecting any mercy afterwards. And nor should there be, if a scheme insists that you 'cease trading'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That's not how things work legally in the Revenue and civil service. There are Rules and the Rules must be followed. Be grand if you do get some work and it's cash in hand - that's fine. But if payments are going through your bank account when you're supposedly closed, I wouldn't be expecting any mercy afterwards. And nor should there be, if a scheme insists that you 'cease trading'.
    So what are we supposed to do if we're only taking emergency calls and only getting emergency calls and normal business is down?

And the emergency calls are in vital services?

Are we not entitled to any money too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭johnire

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a question I have. I work 3 days a week and get 2 days per week through the Jobseekers.
    I’m now temporarily laid off completely so will the Jobseekers be frozen and this Covid 19 payment take over? I know I’ll have to apply for it. Thanks

So what are we supposed to do if we're only taking emergency calls and only getting emergency calls and normal business is down?

And the emergency calls are in vital services?

Are we not entitled to any money too?

I have no idea! There seems to be a complete lack of clarity at the moment and no obvious means of querying it. So if you're a self employed plumber or electrician or whatever, it looks as if you should stay in business so as to be able to assist the public with fixing 'essential' problems. But if you don't get any work, that's tough and you should just suck it up.

Maybe it'll become clearer in next day or two. At present, it looks badly thought out and/or badly expressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭plodder

The legislation is due to be passed tonight I think, is what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Anyone get anything today? Im wondering now if you didnt get anything yest, they will wait until next Tuesday now.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

d51984 wrote: »
    Anyone get anything today? Im wondering now if you didnt get anything yest, they will wait until next Tuesday now.

Very much so fearing that myself, I know several people (including myself) who submitted the form Monday last week yet haven't gotten a penny, only know of one person who's actually gotten the payment.

However apparently 60,000 of the 100,000 odd applications that were received by last Friday have gotten paid!

Yea its a mixed bag, sent one for my friend last Thur nothing yet, however next door sent one same day and got paid yest.

Keep checking your bank I suppose and if nothing by Monday nxt you should get a double payment on the Tuesday.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Firstly, sorry if this has been answered already, I've looked but can't find the answer..

I have applied for the covid-19 payment as I have been told I won't have any hours while the restrictions are in place.. I HAVE NOT been let go, I still have my job and my hours will return once government lifts restrictions.. My employer has even said he might be in a position to pay me 10 hours a week..

So I'm asking do I still have to apply for job seekers benefit, even though I'm still employed? Thanks for any help..

If you are still on the pay roll its up to your employer to claim the govt subsidy. It should appear on your payslip with a narrative of a govt subsidy and is tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Also curious about this.

Quote from citizensinformation.ie website. It is backdated for those who applied last week.

If you are already in receipt of the new new COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, your payment will increase to €350 per week from Friday 27 March. This higher payment will be backdated to cover the shortfall in the payment that was made in the first week of the scheme's operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Amik

If my partner works part-time for an employer and also runs a small business (sole trader), can she also claim the COVID-19 payment for the small business?

Or does she need to apply in a special manner?

Amik wrote: »
    If my partner works part-time for an employer and also runs a small business (sole trader), can she also claim the COVID-19 payment for the small business?

Or does she need to apply in a special manner?

If you find out, let us know. Very hard to figure out what sole traders/ self employed should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Trying to apply for the job loss due to covid payment. Registered online but said to verify my account I must have a Public Services Card. Is it possible to apply this for this payment without having a PSC or applying for one?

You dont need to register, just donload the form and post it off.

Folks anyone check the post office? A lot of people saying that theres was in post office.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

Sorry was ment to say, anyone waiting on the covid-19 payment check your post office for first payment. A lot of people saying theres was at Post office instead of in their bank.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jarvis_c82

Hi

Just looking for some info as I can't seem to find anything, small business which has been incorporated as a limited company. Owner is director and on payroll, staff are eligible for Covid payment and support from Gov.

Just checking, the director is eligible for the same payment or does he have to apply manually? Staff are going to be supported through payroll of the business.

Sorry, I can't seem to find anything on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

d51984 wrote: »
    Sorry was ment to say, anyone waiting on the covid-19 payment check your post office for first payment. A lot of people saying theres was at Post office instead of in their bank.

But the form didn't ask for post office details??

If you have a public services card already, check post office. Its strange but people have on fb theres was in post office.

Its a disgrace Joe!

jarvis_c82 wrote: »
    Hi

Just looking for some info as I can't seem to find anything, small business which has been incorporated as a limited company. Owner is director and on payroll, staff are eligible for Covid payment and support from Gov.

Just checking, the director is eligible for the same payment or does he have to apply manually? Staff are going to be supported through payroll of the business.

Sorry, I can't seem to find anything on this.

Surely the owner is then legally an employee of the limited entity / business, so no problem?

It's self employed/ sole traders who seem to be in sort of limbo, as they are neither employees or employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jarvis_c82

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Surely the owner is then legally an employee of the limited entity / business, so no problem?

It's self employed/ sole traders who seem to be in sort of limbo, as they are neither employees or employers.

Thanks Barry, I was thinking the same but just wanted to make sure I was not the only person.

Anyone wondering weather they are entitled to the payment, just download the form and free post it off.

If your due it you will get it, if not you wont.

Also if anyone tries the post office today (you need a public services card) can you let us know if your first payment was there... Thanks

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I applied for for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment last Monday, does anyone know what the process is after applying or how long should it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Have any statements / articles been released about people who haven't gotten their payment yet?

It says on gov.ie the money should be deposited into your account on Tuesday, yet I've received nothing (sent the form by post on St. Patrick's Day). Just getting a little worried as I need to money now and can't really afford to wait until next Tuesday for a double payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

hasdanta wrote: »
    Have any statements / articles been released about people who haven't gotten their payment yet?

It says on gov.ie the money should be deposited into your account on Tuesday, yet I've received nothing (sent the form by post on St. Patrick's Day). Just getting a little worried as I need to money now and can't really afford to wait until next Tuesday for a double payment.

Just got off the phone from the helpline - she said some payments are being made Tuesday and the rest should be made Friday!

Advertisement