Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy (8) dies after dog attack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

This....
    Poor child. Absolutely horrific way to go.
    Way more important than disputing breeds of dogs.

Genuinely brought me to tears today when I heard on the radio that he had passed away. Poor defenceless child, what an awful death. Heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Their temperament is no more dangerous.

Is that a fact? Or is it a statement you want to be true because it fits your world view?

RIP to this precious boy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Shocking to hear

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

KiKi III wrote: »
    Is that a fact? Or is it a statement you want to be true because it fits your world view?

RIP to this precious boy.

Are people only ever bitten by dogs on the restricted breeds list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Are some people saying that different breeds of dog do not have different traits in their temperament?
    As in temperament had nothing to do with the breeding selection?

• Advertisement

No, just that some breeds are capable of far more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The dog is the owner’s responsibility.
    It was manslaughter due to neglect.
    Someone needs a prison sentence for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

sligeach wrote: »
    Not in direct relation to this tragic incident(which is a bit different, 2 rottweiler guard dogs in a business yard attached to the home), but I don't get why some people want dangerous breeds of dogs. I see these people out all the time with no muzzles on the dog, some let them off the lead, and others who can barely control the dog. Do they think they're hard ********? That it's some sort of status symbol? I think the majority of these people are idiots.
    Yes it does seem like it's about looking hard.

Are absolutely no breeds more innately aggressive? What about presa canarios?

tuxy wrote: »
    No, just that some breeds are capable of far more damage.

Do you not think a collie or labrador can do extensive damage if it so chooses, especially to a child.

Not to mention dogs like St Bernard's, Great Danes, Cane Corsos which a grown adult would have difficulty fending off, none of which are on the restricted breeds list.

Do you not think a collie or labrador can do extensive damage if it so chooses, especially to a child.

Not to mention dogs like St Bernard's, Great Danes, Cane Corsos which a grown adult would have difficulty fending off, none of which are on the restricted breeds list.

Yes but it happens far less frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Bowlardo wrote:
    The dog is the owner’s responsibility. It was manslaughter due to neglect. Someone needs a prison sentence for this.

This
    Until people that own these powerful dogs are correctly punished then these type of horror stories will continue.

I presume these dogs were there to attack intruders. Who would have thought the dogs would get it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It's also the breed you spanner.

Pitbulls for example are notoriously dangerous dogs.

Some people would be responsible enough to own a pitbull many would not.

How do we decide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Some people would be responsible enough to own a pitbull many would not.

How do we decide?

We decide by banning the breed and thereby saving lives.

Some 12 year olds would be responsible enough to drive cars, some wouldn't. Are we supposed to just allow them to drive and then when all the accidents of kids comes in say "oh well it's the person rather than the age"? We make the cut-off 17 or whatever the current age is because the car is an incredibly dangerous object and there is no necessity for them to be driven by people under 17.

We decide by banning the breed and thereby saving lives.

Some 12 year olds would be responsible enough to drive cars, some wouldn't. Are we supposed to just allow them to drive and then when all the accidents of kids comes in say "oh well it's the person rather than the age"? We make the cut-off 17 or whatever the current age is because the car is an incredibly dangerous object and there is no necessity for them to be driven by people under 17.

Yes but some people need the "look" and that could come at any age. -

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The lower down the social scale you go the more vicious breeds of dogs they own.

I myself have a pooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yes it does seem like it's about looking hard

Something in their build and demeanour does suggest that alright

Let’s not pretend they’re not an accessory to a a culture; a popular culture. A very popular culture and the more definitive it becomes the more generations will feel the urge to get in line and accessorise, ever more pushing the bounds of what we will tolerate. If we are willing to let monsters roam the streets in broad daylight we have lost the battle so let’s so let’s wise up and eradicate

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The dog owners should be done for manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I think this is rubbing your nose in it.

Dog Bite Fatalities USA 2018 by breed
    Pitbulls 72%
    Mixed-breed 8%
    Rottweiler 6%
    Mastiff./bullmastiff 6%
    Dogo Argentino 6%
    other breeds 3%

My earlier question to you was
    "Are you saying a pit bull, a rottweiler, a biullmastiff, a chihuahua, a pekinese, a shih tzu are all much the same for threat?"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I ask, and I'm not having a Go or trying to start an argument, but what are the really dangerous breeds?

Here's a start
    https://www.insidedogsworld.com/top10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds-in-theworld/

Or else I am sure there are records of what dog breeds were involved in fatal attacks.

• Advertisement

Yes but it happens far less frequently.

What makes you think that? Because it's not reported in the media as much?
    "Collie bites man" doesn't grab people as much as "Pit Bull savages child".

How many kids have been seriously bitten by Huskys in the last few years, again another dog who is not on the restricted breeds list but the same size and strength as a German Shepherd which is. This is the danger of labelling one dog breed as 'bad' and another as 'good' people are lured into a false sense of security with the 'good' breeds.

Dogs are breed for different traits.
    Some are breed to be aggressive but all are also bread to be loyal to it's owner.
    However sometimes a situation can arise where the dog is confused. When this happens the stronger more aggressive breed is far more dangerous.

What makes you think that? Because it's not reported in the media as much?
    "Collie bites man" doesn't grab people as much as "Pit Bull savages child".

How many kids have been seriously bitten by Huskys in the last few years, again another dog who is not on the restricted breeds list but the same size and strength as a German Shepherd which is. This is the danger of labelling one dog breed as 'bad' and another as 'good' people are lured into a false sense of security with the 'good' breeds.

I guess we are mainly talking about fatalities in this case. Because those will be reported on.

I think this is rubbing your nose in it.

Dog Bite Fatalities USA 2018 by breed
    Pitbulls 72%
    Mixed-breed 8%
    Rottweiler 6%
    Mastiff./bullmastiff 6%
    Dogo Argentino 6%
    other breeds 3%

My earlier question to you was
    "Are you saying a pit bull, a rottweiler, a biullmastiff, a chihuahua, a pekinese, a shih tzu are all much the same for threat?"

Of course a Chihuahua isn't as much of a physical threat as a Rottweiler, that's ridiculous comparison. Is a Rottweiler any more likely to bite you than a Chihuahua, absolutely not.

This is the danger of labelling one dog breed as 'bad' and another as 'good' people are lured into a false sense of security with the 'good' breeds.
    Read my post #81 why there is "labelling" of dog breeds.
    The fatalities from attacks by a handful of breeds is the reason for the "labelling".
    You seems to equate a dog bite by one breed with a fatality caused by a dangerous breed.
    A bite and a fatality are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of course a Chihuahua isn't as much of a physical threat as a Rottweiler, that's ridiculous comparison. Is a Rottweiler any more likely to bite you than a Chihuahua, absolutely not.

A chihuahua won't eat your face off though.

Again, you are saying a bite by one equates to a fatality by another.

I guess we are mainly talking about fatalities in this case. Because those will be reported on.

How many people have been killed by dogs in Ireland in the last 10 years?
    I can tell you more people have been killed by cows.

Read my post #81 why there is "labelling" of dog breeds.
    The fatalities from attacks by a handful of breeds is the reason for the "labelling".
    You seems to equate a dog bite by one breed with a fatality caused by a dangerous breed.
    A bite and a fatality are different.

Well in that case ban all mixed breeds because from what I can see from your (American) stats they're more dangerous than Rottweilers and Bull Mastiffs.

As for the high percentage of Pit Bulls in those stats, most people can't pick a pit bull out of a line up, any blocky headed dog of unsure percentage is labelled a Pit Bull.

• Advertisement

How many people have been killed by dogs in Ireland in the last 10 years?
    I can tell you more people have been killed by cows.

Yes but can we talk about dogs a their breeds in this thread?

Advertisement