Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any one going self sufficient

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Eamonn8448 wrote: »
    got ten stone of queens , pound of mixed onions for 70 euro on monday , went a bit mad on the plough out of boredom on saturday but got all the queens planted , got 80 cabbage plants for free and spent about another five on various seeds , often spent more on a night out , besides the weather was perfect and it stopped me from going idle , money well spent in my opinion

Where did you get the cabbages.

Got 5 kg first earlies down this evening. Have 5 kg of 2nd early and maincrops to go. 20 kg goldent wonders and some homeguard. Ive also fir apples to plant, oca, artichoke and yacon.

I'm going to have a serious amount of spuds this year.:eek:
    Then its down to the normal veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

I work on a veg farm so if you want cabbage plants or anything like that just pm me , i got 60 here im trying to give away , no point having a glut of spring cabbage, tbh i wanted the tray more than the plants lol

I work on a veg farm so if you want cabbage plants or anything like that just pm me , i got 60 here im trying to give away , no point having a glut of spring cabbage, tbh i wanted the tray more than the plants lol
    Sent you a pm

Sent you a pm

cant reply mate says you need to free up space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Looking likely we could be back soon enough as travel restrictioms are lifted a bit here now so im wondering which is better for sowing a few drills of spuds in either a n old lawn or a corner of a field used for grazing and 1 cut of silage each year?
    Im reckoning the corner of the field, will need a shake of gran lime and 18/6/12 or 10/10/20 maybe as well as boron. I dont know much about boron but by the sounds of it here its a trace element that you spray is that on the drills pre planting or on the growing crop? Also for blight i wouldnt be tuned in on chemical usage and would rather use something else maybe bluestone anyo e familiar with using that?

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't think you lime before potatoes, you'd need to check that. Boron is a powder dressing you spread on the drills, it prevents brown rot, you know in the centre of the potato. If you can get FYM into the drills it would be great.
    Not up on the varieties that are blight resistant, but would be worth checking out.
    https://www.fruithillfarm.com/seeds-and-propagation/organic-seed-potatoes/blight-resistant-potatoes/carolus-organic-seed-potatoes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Water John wrote: »
    Don't think you lime before potatoes, you'd need to check that. Boron is a powder dressing you spread on the drills, it prevents brown rot, you know in the centre of the potato. If you can get FYM into the drills it would be great.
    Not up on the varieties that are blight resistant, but would be worth checking out.

Will have FYM going on for sure, will be doing Rooster and/or Kerrs Pink might be too late for 1st earlies but maybe a drill of 2nd earlies as well not sure on variety there though. Thanks

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Queens would probably be the most popular second earlies.

Will have FYM going on for sure, will be doing Rooster and/or Kerrs Pink might be too late for 1st earlies but maybe a drill of 2nd earlies as well not sure on variety there though. Thanks
    )

Im planting 1 & 2nd earlies at the moment. Didnt plant them till May last year.
    Putting a handful of boron and 18-6-12 ( mixed) in with each spud.
    The land had FYM over winter.

I'll have mains in by the weekend.

Weather looks to be warm next week :)

To update since getting it rotovated on Tuesday.

Colleen's and sharpes : 5kg each (earlies)
    Golden wonders 20kg
    Queens 5kg
    Homeguard 5kg
    Fir apples as a trial 5kg
    Cabbage ( thanks eamonn)
    200onion sets
    Carrots.

Room ready for Oca, artichoke, yacon and asparagus.

That's half the garden done. :D veggie plot is 650 sq meters

Credit where it's due.. My wife got the spuds in while I was working from home.

• Advertisement

Your motoring well so Tatranska
    my update
    planted:
    60kg Queens (i know i got abit carried away!)
    about 3 or 400 onion sets
    spring cabbage - about 3 dozen

sowed into seed trays:
    700 carrots- i know was a pain in the hole but better than thinning out later
    100 beetroot, will prob do more when i get bored
    100 lettuce
    3 dozen tomato plants

must go rooting out more packs of seeds the plants wont go to waste
    waiting on a few plants from the farm eg cauli, broccoli , dutch and summer cabbage, not a hope in hell will i grow those fecking sprouts lol

Happy days so far

my update
    planted:

sowed into seed trays:
    100 lettuce
    3 dozen tomato plants

waiting on a few plants from the farm eg cauli, broccoli , dutch and summer cabbage, not a hope in hell will i grow those fecking sprouts lol

Happy days so far

Have to say, my wife did most of the graft. She's from good Eastern European farming stock :)

Talk to you during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

To update since getting it rotovated on Tuesday.

Colleen's and sharpes : 5kg each (earlies)
    Golden wonders 20kg
    Queens 5kg
    Homeguard 5kg
    Fir apples as a trial 5kg
    Cabbage ( thanks eamonn)
    200onion sets
    Carrots.

Room ready for Oca, artichoke, yacon and asparagus.

That's half the garden done. :D veggie plot is 650 sq meters

Credit where it's due.. My wife got the spuds in while I was working from home.

my update
    planted:

sowed into seed trays:
    100 lettuce
    3 dozen tomato plants

Happy days so far

About 15 years ago I used have a big garden. Grew it on the same plot until I started getting that small slug that goes through the potatoes. Never grew more than two stone of seed. One year I was still eating queens out at the end of September and the roosters were huge potatoes. Some of you lads will want to be fattening a few pigs with the amount of spuds you grow. 700 carrots, I nearly prefer to be thinning than weeding that amount. I put in a bit more cabbage mid summer but with another lazy bed I will have plenty and I often gave away a nice few spuds. I never had more than 30-40 beet rood plants, the sheep were mad for them when they fot to turnip size.

Slava Ukrainii

never had a problem with wireworm here , left the chickens at it after each run of the rotavator , this patch of ground hasnt been tilled in at least 40 years , any excess i'll just give away , you know ireland anything thats free grab it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

my update
    planted:

sowed into seed trays:
    100 lettuce
    3 dozen tomato plants

Happy days so far
    3 dozen tomato plants, if you had half a dozen and mind them well under glass if you can it would be loads reminds of a story a lad around these parts went to Australia for a year and when he came back his old lad was growing tomato plants in his car.

l
    l
    l1

i'll only keep 4 under glass for the table , i've another 12 promised to different people , between relatives and friends none will go to waste might actually sow a few more just incase , alot of people very interested in gardening this year , even had one dude ask if he could rent a drill !

I have lots of friends... Or I will have in a few months.
    Have the land so I might as well use it.
    Going no dig this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It's funny have a high flying brother in law living in Dublin wouldn't here from him from 1 end of the year to the next he suddenly back in touch asking how is the farming going and talking about moving out of the city and down the country, of course I told him we are all starving down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

No way was i digging a quarter acre by hand!
    Going no dig this year. Have a local tree surgeon dropping me loads of woodchip.

You using the woodchip as a mulch to top everything off?
    Have 4 more raised beds all but ready and was tinkering with the idea of woodchip as a mulch

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    You using the woodchip as a mulch to top everything off?
    Have 4 more raised beds all but ready and was tinkering with the idea of woodchip as a mulch

Exactly.
    I'm also going to put it on walkways. It will decompose over the year and I can then move it to the beds.

Got some rhubarb, cucumber and courgette and strawberries in Lidl this morning for planting.

Also did some more work on my new chicken coop and run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Sam Collie

Hi there
    Where do you get plants like artichokes and asparagus in Ireland or did you grow from seed?

Thanks!

Sam Collie wrote: »
    Hi there
    Where do you get plants like artichokes and asparagus in Ireland or did you grow from seed?

Thanks!

Gardens 4life in roscommon for the artichoke, Oca, yacon and willow (180 of them) . Martin is really helpful.

Ordered the asparagus from the UK via parcel wizard. Still waiting on that. I imagine they are busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

First 2 pigs killed and collected. Killed out at 63 & 68kg with 96kg of meat between them. Happy enough with that for first timers. Freezer full now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

First 2 pigs killed and collected. Killed out at 63 & 68kg with 96kg of meat between them. Happy enough with that for first timers. Freezer full now!

What cuts did you get?
    We got one, but have too much boiled bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

What cuts did you get?
    We got one, but have too much boiled bacon

Per pig approximately:

7 packs of loin chops (in 2's) 5.3kg
    5 packs of bacon 4.65kg
    3 packs of ribs 2.15kg
    15 packs of sausages .5kg each
    10 packs of rashers 8 small rashers in each
    12 packs of ham 22.5kg
    4 roasts 4.5kg
    1 pork belly pack 1 kg
    2 packs of belly chops 1kg
    2 pork steaks 1kg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Oh gawd. Now I just have to take pork belly out of the fridge :D

People must be too busy looking after the farms rather than planting veg. :)

Got artichokes down over the weekend along with Kohl rabbi, corn and beetroot.
    Beds ready for the asparagus and oca to go in.

New Chicken coop is almost finished.

The Uk supplier of the asparagus is saying a month for shipping. I kept it open and got some more from clarinbridge garden centre in Galway. Hope to have it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Too busy planting veg to be posting on boards.ie! :D

And taking advantage of the fine weather and long evenings to catch up on a load of general maintenance that couldn't be done earlier in the year.

But harvested (and ate) my first asparagus of the season this evening. :) I have four of five varieties of potato planted (French ones - Sirtema, Charlotte, Charmeuse and Desirée ; the fifth, Mona Lisa, to go in this week); garlic, shallots and a load of onions all growing well; still harvesting last year's beetroot and will be for a while yet; first line of peas has germinated, four more lines added this week; beds prepared for tomatoes, peppers, melons, pumpkins & more once they leave the greenhouse.

Strawberries are in great flower, so hoping to have enough to make plenty of jam, if we don't have a harvest-hammering drought like last year (have two "everlasting" varieties that usually fruit right through to November). Fruit trees (plums, pears, apples, cherries) are/were also laden with blossom and look to be setting fruit. Unfortunately, I've been having terrible trouble with coddling moth on the apples, so that's ruined a lot of the fruit in recent years. :(

Our local waste collection service is giving ex-working hens free to good homes this month, but my working routine doesn't allow me to have any animals at the moment ... ... ... I really miss having the hens around. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Got artichokes down over the weekend along with Kohl rabbi, corn and beetroot. Beds ready for the asparagus and oca to go in.

Nice, I planted asparagus last year. Takes 3 years to get your first crops though..

• Advertisement

tedpan wrote: »
    Nice, I planted asparagus last year. Takes 3 years to get your first crops though..

It's a long term goal. We eat a lot so thought, why not.

Wife dug the trenches while I worked on the coop. I knew I did well marrying a farmers daughter :D

Advertisement