Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Experience with asd units

• 04-02-2020 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I have a 6 year old who was diagnosed with Autism last year in Junior Infants. We decided he would repeat junior infants and apply for an sna(which he got). This year has been a bit better and we still have a few months to go which I hope will go much better but... in case it doesn't.

The school have already suggested we might consider moving him to a school with an asd unit. They think he's too distracted with 30 kids in the class. He also has hit a few kids this year but I think we can sort that out. The HSE psychologist reckons he's too highly functioning to go into an asd unit and that if we were to move schools to just try another mainstream school that are better at handling the situation. Maybe one that has an asd unit so they're better prepared for any meltdowns etc.

There are other schools in the area that have asd units, I plan on visiting a few of them just in case. We have read some bad stories online about these units, parents regretting their decisions, unable to get them back into mainstream etc. Just gathering as much info as I can before we make any decisions. We are doing everything we can with the school to make this work I just want to be prepared in case we decide otherwise. Obviously we like the idea of him not moving school but if it makes sense then so be it, now is probably not the worst time for a move while he's still quite young.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sounds like they want you to remove your child to save themselves the hassle ,
    If your child psychologist didn't recommend it then it's the school who need to look at the support they are offering,

Some units are good and well run with clear goals and education plans others are glorified crèches offering little or no education

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Do not remove your child without getting the school to get the reports to back it up that he should go in a unit.
    They think he's too distracted with 30 kids in the class. He also has hit a few kids this year but I think we can sort that out.

That is their problem, what are they doing to help him calm down. Do they have a sensory room? What is their plan to insure he gets the inclusive education that he has a right to?

What would you do if you removed him now? he probably wouldnt get a place in a school with a unit until September and even at that if the psychologist doesn't believe he should be in a unit the SENO probably wont have you on the waiting list. Did you contact the SENO?

Also they are possibly planning on moving away from units so schools like yours and the one my daughter is in will have to meet the needs of the child there. Some information below, this is the policy Joe Mchugh is looking to follow.

https://ncse.ie/progress-report-policy-advice-on-special-schools-and-classes?fbclid=IwAR0EINNsr34lb9VkgAi7TzfN08OGiwKUm-uVZ8Ql7ACRqDjTSqAHSUI-FO0

I know i may have come across very forward above but i want to try and point out that the system is adversarial right now and knowledge is power. The school will make a problem that is theirs your problem because you don't know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I would suggest visiting as many ASD units as you can locally. Bear in mind you could be coming in on a particularly "good" day or a particularly "bad" day, so revisit if necessary.

Many units will have individual work stations with the group of students coming together for some lessons during the day, but largely sitting at a desk on their own facing a partition to 'aid concentration'. The work done at these stations would be assigned by the teacher and assisted by the sna. This of course describes some but not all units, you'd need to go in and see for yourself.

As others have said, if the psychologist isn't recommending this then I would be very slow to move. If your child is coping in the mainstream environment then keep them there for as long as possible. The school can apply for support through the SESS if they need ideas. Maybe there's a need to adapt the timetable a bit to allow for movement breaks/ break from sensory overload, but moving schools altogether would be a big step and a last resort in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Okay thanks very much for your opinions. Plenty to think about. The school seem to think it's a no brainer as he'll find it easier to work in a smaller class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Okay thanks very much for your opinions. Plenty to think about. The school seem to think it's a no brainer as he'll find it easier to work in a smaller class.

That is a lie they are telling to make their problem your problem.

You already have the psychologist saying he wouldn't benefit from it.

I was at a meeting lastnight with a local parents group on autism and one of the organizers kids were there, two very well spoken girls who are going into college. They are high functioning like your son and they made an excellent point that isolated units don't really work well developmentally for kids like them.

Either way best of luck on what you do, non of us in these forums are expert on the education of your child and you will always be their best advocate. I hope the posts we have provided are more an aid on what to watch out for when dealing with the educators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Thanks very much.

Advertisement