Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Experience Compelling a School?

• 22-01-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Looking for feedback from parents who have or are going through a situation where they are trying to get a school to setup an ASD unit.

Essentially or local NS has no unit, we do have an SnA but the school are trying to put the squeeze on us to move our daughter. I have no plans on doing this without it being forced as there is nowhere local that would suit.

Its nearly like two levels of discrimination in our area, as three schools, the only primary with a unit is for boys only and the only mixed school is reluctant to put one in place as its in a more well to do area and it might lower the tone.

Just wondering if anyone else has been through stuff like this?

Thanks

Cal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Unfortunately a school can't be forced to open a unit ,most schools don't either don't have the resources to open a dedicated unit or don't want the hassle in chasing grants , special needs teachers and suitable SNA's it's not a simple case of opening a unit on a parent's say ,
    In other schools it's six kids to a room which explains the shortage of places , but they are now looking at closing units and special schools and going with full integration in mainstream clasees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Gatling wrote: »
    Unfortunately a school can't be forced to open a unit ,most schools don't either don't have the resources to open a dedicated unit or don't want the hassle in chasing grants , special needs teachers and suitable SNA's it's not a simple case of opening a unit on a parent's say ,
    In other schools it's six kids to a room which explains the shortage of places , but they are now looking at closing units and special schools and going with full integration in mainstream clasees

As of last November the department of education can compel a school to open a unit. The resources are being put in place for them to do this and in the Laois/South Kildare space it is the schools themselves pushing against it.

I know its not on a parents say, which is why I was wondering if any parents had experience in helping to get some open.

My daughter is already in a mainstream school with full SnA support the reason we were actually querying was due to the school looking to remove her as she is causing problems for the other students apparently. As per legal advice we will be allowing the school and the seno come up with the inclusive education plan that works for her, and is also constitutionally protected.

I am actually fine keeping her where she is, the reason we were worried was due to the school and seno playing games and putting us in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Calhoun wrote: »

My daughter is already in a mainstream school with full SnA support the reason we were actually querying was due to the school looking to remove her as she is causing problems for the other students apparently. As per legal advice we will be allowing the school and the seno come up with the inclusive education plan that works for her, and is also constitutionally protected.

I am actually fine keeping her where she is, the reason we were worried was due to the school and seno playing games and putting us in the middle.

Hold your ground and don't move her for anything ,

Do you happen to know any other parents in the area or needing access to a unit ,it might help if there is a bigger need for one ,
    Do you have support from psychology saying she's needs to be in a unit always worth having ,it really helps if everyone is working from the same page ,seno , school ,Sna , therapists more importantly parents ,
    How do you find the SNA are they capable of helping and supporting your child in school

Gatling wrote: »
    Hold your ground and don't move her for anything ,

Do you happen to know any other parents in the area or needing access to a unit ,it might help if there is a bigger need for one ,
    Do you have support from psychology saying she's needs to be in a unit always worth having ,it really helps if everyone is working from the same page ,seno , school ,Sna , therapists more importantly parents ,
    How do you find the SNA are they capable of helping and supporting your child in school

That's the advice we have been given, you know yourself how it is. We were brought into a room and the way they were going on you swear it was a hardened thug rather than a vulnerable little girl they were talking about. We were never intending to remove her but only after we got legal advice could we see that they were trying to engage in a form of constructive dismissal and making their problem into our problem.

I know there has to be a need for it in the area, there has to be as there is 3 schools covering the area and the only unit is a boys only one. The SENO is actually chomping at the bit and we know he is trying to use us to kick off that discussion.

The psychologist has advised she would benefit from a unit but she could also stay where she is as long as they have the resources in place to deal with her needs. They don't even have a sensory room and are reluctant to do anything that would support it.

The SNA is brilliant and our daughter gets on well with them she is just getting to an age where she is a bit more vocal.

Also, thank you very much for responding. Great to get feedback from other parents who have been through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Have the exact same issue, actually came to this forum to see if there was any threads on it. I had an argument with the school last week as they keep ringing me to collect my son if he lashes out. But they seem completely oblivious to the fact that if a kid runs up and slaps him on the back of the head he's going to have a meltdown and its not his fault. The principle even mentioned over the phone that they dont want him to get suspended, i was like WTF, he's 6, he better not get suspended!

They have suggested we take him to a school with a unit, but the hse psychologist says he's too highly functioning and the school should be well able to deal with these situations. I plan on visiting a few other local schools, I would much rather he stays where he is though :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭victor8600

Calhoun wrote: »
    The SNA is brilliant and our daughter gets on well with them she is just getting to an age where she is a bit more vocal.

If this is so, it is better that she stays in the current school. I would raise it with SENO so that they recommend the school to get the sensory room and anything else that is needed.

We had to move our kid to another school in a similar situation, though we had a 1/3 of an SNA. The school was pretty useless in doing anything proactive. They were quick to complain about everything, especially lack of resources, yet I sensed no urgency whatsoever in them applying for more SNAs.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Have the exact same issue, actually came to this forum to see if there was any threads on it. I had an argument with the school last week as they keep ringing me to collect my son if he lashes out. But they seem completely oblivious to the fact that if a kid runs up and slaps him on the back of the head he's going to have a meltdown and its not his fault. The principle even mentioned over the phone that they dont want him to get suspended, i was like WTF, he's 6, he better not get suspended!

They have suggested we take him to a school with a unit, but the hse psychologist says he's too highly functioning and the school should be well able to deal with these situations. I plan on visiting a few other local schools, I would much rather he stays where he is though :/

First off the school cannot reduce your child hours without involving Tusla and getting the SENO ect involved. They also have a responsibility to ensure he is educated in an inclusive environment.

What are they doing to prevent this stuff from happening? what supports has he got ect? I know they have a duty of care to the other kids but at the same time does he have an SNA? do they have a sensory room or anything like that to help him calm down. Have they contacted the SnA ? or what reports have they done on his behavior

Do not remove him for any reason and make sure they are engaging with the supports that the should. Allot of the time they like to pawn their problem off on the parent.

You have discharged your responsibility as set out in law by enrolling him in the school its up to them to solve his education needs.

https://www.education.ie/en/Parents/Services/Appeal-against-Permanent-Exclusion-Suspension-or-Refusal-to-Enrol/

In this day and age it would be very brave of them to suspend a six year old the press alone would have them by the balls.
    victor8600 wrote: »
    If this is so, it is better that she stays in the current school. I would raise it with SENO so that they recommend the school to get the sensory room and anything else that is needed.

We had to move our kid to another school in a similar situation, though we had a 1/3 of an SNA. The school was pretty useless in doing anything proactive. They were quick to complain about everything, especially lack of resources, yet I sensed no urgency whatsoever in them applying for more SNAs.

Yes, we would prefer she stays where she is however at the time the school were pushing back their responsibility of an inclusive and diverse education as is her constitutional right.

We may move our girl but only after forcing the school the long way around, with reports on why they cannot give the education they are required to do under law.

Its like a game of chess, they normally have the advantage as knowledge is power but once you know what they legally have to do it becomes allot easier. However you have to take into account the impact on the child, we are lucky for now our girl is doing ok as-is.

Advertisement