Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Enfield

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Anyway... the oul' Enfield is great altogether, discs and all! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

H_Lime wrote: »
    They didn't, they wore the drum linings down;)

Dont get me wrong, my fav bike has a drum rear whos performance is sweet, but I accept its a bigger pain than an hydraulic dics braked model when the linings are shot.

You're not incorrect: but insofar as a person who should maintain a caliper to keep it not-sticking...........they shouldn't let a drum braked bike down to that level either, no ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You need to include the cost of the caliper rebuild H :)

A thorough clean might do the job for a while, but if it needs new pistons and seals that's far from cheap.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

galwaytt wrote: »
    You're not incorrect: but insofar as a person who should maintain a caliper to keep it not-sticking...........they shouldn't let a drum braked bike down to that level either, no ?
    Bought with it like that my friend, the refurb is ongoing and i might add never ending;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You need to include the cost of the caliper rebuild H :)

A thorough clean might do the job for a while, but if it needs new pistons and seals that's far from cheap.

About twenty euro. I think that's fairly cheap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

"You need to include the cost of the caliper rebuild H

A thorough clean might do the job for a while, but if it needs new pistons and seals that's far from cheap."

Lol i dont because my whole point is the cost difference relating to changing a worn drum vs a worn disc.
    But ok as you ask, genuine seals and pistons set 92 dollars which is 71gbp plus the pads and disc at 79gbp, a grand total of 150 gbp which is 173 euro versus....535 euro for the drum;)

Fair enough!

Life ain't always empty.

listermint wrote: »
    About twenty euro. I think that's fairly cheap...

Love to know where you can get proper seals for 20 euro, never mind pistons.

Life ain't always empty.

Love to know where you can get proper seals for 20 euro, never mind pistons.

Anywhere

I've rebuilt my front and rear calipers.

The front ones two years ago. The rears this year.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/151799600790?ViewItem=&item=151799600790

Here's a rear set the same ones I used.

My brakes are perfect now.

I don't get why people think a set of seals needs to cost an arm and a leg......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

What's the title of this thread? Is it...

Royal Enfield
    or
    Drum brake
    or
    Cost of seals

• Advertisement

Ok mod :rolleyes:

PS 20 quid per piston just for no-name seals is not cheap, pistons themselves wear out and are expensive.

Life ain't always empty.

Ah here. There's enough friction in this thread already! :pac:

PS 20 quid per piston just for no-name seals is not cheap, pistons themselves wear out and are expensive.

Yesterday it was where can you get such seals. Had a feeling you'd come back with some no name nonsense.

Anyway I've had enough of the jibe. I provided you with an example that's in my bike with no issues over a year. Have you rebuilt any brakes yourself? So far I've done this and two Volvo calipers in the last 3 months

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I dropped into Bikeworld on Thursday after I passed my test that Interceptor in Orange is a very tidy looking bike.

It's dying for a trade in. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I dropped into Bikeworld on Thursday after I passed my test that Interceptor in Orange is a very tidy looking bike.
    And so it begins... :pac:

Buy it.

I dropped into Bikeworld on Thursday after I passed my test that Interceptor in Orange Candy Crush is a very tidy looking bike.

I can't disagree. Take a test ride and you'll really feel the love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Every time I'm in there I look at the whole RE range, they're all lovely bikes. But I'm way too big for any of them, at a stretch the Himalayan might fit me but I get off a 1200 GS in the mornings and ride a 650 Versy's work bike and even that feels small and under powered.

I was in BW on Thursday too. Because they give a generous discount to the emergency, frontline and security service's BW are always my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Breezin wrote: »
    Hi Nabidana. The Interceptor 650 is a joy to ride, pure and simple. One of the most common comments made is that it just puts a smile on your face :p

Most of the reviews are 95% positive, and the recent MCN face-off with the Triumph Street Twin, which the RE won, was an out and rave. All reviewers report some niggles, but they are minor -- and they would do that anyway.

I have 1,100 miles up now, and haven't been able to ride as much as I would like, but I can't get enough of it. I've had Japanese in-line fours in the past, and my last bike was a Bullet, but the Interceptor is in a different league.

Not the fastest, but I didn't buy it for speed. (I won't bore you with the ongoing cost in insurance premiums of my three penalty points incurred for speeding in a car years ago.)

Cheers Breezin.

Will be purchasing a new bike in the new year and have narrowed it down to three.

RE Interceptor 650
    Triumph Bonneville
    H-D Iron 883 (Dare I say, I've considered a Street 750 too)

Have a budget of about 8.5K.

Thoughts folks?

Thanks
    NBD.

Nabidana wrote: »
    Cheers Breezin.

Will be purchasing a new bike in the new year and have narrowed it down to three.

RE Interceptor 650
    Triumph Bonneville

Thoughts folks?

Thanks
    NBD.

You need to ride them.

You could love the Triumph.....and find the seat height too high. You could ride the 883 and love the bike....but find it not punchy enough. The Interceptor could well be perfect. A neighbour bought a span new Street 750 a few months ago and I think it's a nice bike. No idea what it's like to ride, though.

Either way, don't buy anything without sitting on them and at least making vroom-vroom noises :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Either way, don't buy anything without sitting on them and at least making vroom-vroom noises :D

This is important, and try your best get a test ride.

I've only bought one bike without a test ride, and regretted it within the first 30 minutes of buying.

I bought a beautiful Kawasaki Z1000 with my heart and couldn't wait to take delivery of it. By the time I'd rode it from Bikeworld to the Phoenix Park I knew I was going to sell it.

I think in the end I had it for 3 months, I loved it to look at but hated riding it.

• Advertisement

What did you not like about it?

Life ain't always empty.

What did you not like about it?

It was too small for me.

@breezin,

What made you go with the Interceptor over the Continental?

Cheers,
    NBD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

RE Interceptor 650
    Triumph Bonneville

Why are Yamaha XSR or Ducati Scrambler not on this list?

@breezin,

What made you go with the Interceptor over the Continental?

Cheers,
    NBD
    Handlebar height, foot peg position, looks. The GT is a handsome town bike but I wouldn't want to go on a long run on it.
    I did Dublin to Kerry and back last week and was glad I chose the Interceptor.
    Also, given its modest power, the GT's very sexy cafe racer look is a bit off in the modern era, imho.

Speaking RE, I noticed this week that EU regs are killing off their 500 single, so only 1 final run of them and then that's it.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

India skipped their equivalent to Euro 5. Their 500 singles are only fuel injected for 2020, and have a secondary cat & oxygen sensor. Tiny drop in power and a uglier exhaust.

Breezin wrote: »
    Handlebar height, foot peg position, looks. The GT is a handsome town bike but I wouldn't want to go on a long run on it.
    I did Dublin to Kerry and back last week and was glad I chose the Interceptor.
    Also, given its modest power, the GT's very sexy cafe racer look is a bit off in the modern era, imho.

Breezin, if you were to name 3 good points and 3 bad points about your Interceptor, what would they be?

Cheers,
    NBD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Varik wrote: »
    India skipped their equivalent to Euro 5. Their 500 singles are only fuel injected for 2020, and have a secondary cat & oxygen sensor. Tiny drop in power and a uglier exhaust.

How is that even possible...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

I ended up buying a Tiger 800 last summer. Lovely bike and couldn't fault it. Plenty of power, comfortable, more agile than I thought it would be.

Sure I had grand visions of long weekend trips around Ireland and the UK, maybe further, but my wife and kids don't all fit on the bike. Apparently this is an issue...

So anyway, I've decided to sell the Tiger and go for what I should have got in the first place. The Interceptor 650.

Most of my spins are in and out of town. Of course the Tiger could do that no problem but just not as much fun (imvho) as the RE. Rode one a few weeks after getting Tiger. Knew then....

Conscious of an update to the Int/GT/Himmie this year along the lines of turn bu turn sat nav etc but sure, I know where I'm going.

Plan on purchasing as soon

Advertisement