Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The future is AI....

Options
  • 10-07-2019 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is inspired by another which brought up the possibility that a piece of text was the product of an OpenAI prose generator.

Is it possible that books in the future will be written by AI and not by humans? If so will it still be deemed literature?

Decided to see how good the technology is at present:

This is the website:
    https://talktotransformer.com

How it works:
    Type a sentence to prompt the AI prose generator and let the it do the rest....

Here is the result obtained with the phrase " It was a dark and stormy night!" ...
    It was a dark and stormy night! "But he was already on us, and he seemed to do nothing." Zuko thought for a while. He could not see much of his friends but felt sure of their safety. They were under the protective watch of a white-cloaked warrior like his mentor Sokka who didn't let anyone in until he was sure that his friend was dead or dying. When he decided against fighting a third time he decided instead to wait until after his friend's birthday.

A young male warrior was sitting cross-legged in his white robes, his hair in front of him, resting the two halves of a long bamboo cane in his lap. He wore a black kiwi suit with wide sleeves and open top of the suit, over which his arms were covered with a heavy leather belt and wrapped in heavy brown leather and satin. When his friends spoke of his name he answered merely, "Pao Pao." It was not exactly a name the Avatar had ever heard.

"How did you arrive?" one of the soldiers asked.

"A messenger. He was going from the southern border to southern border city."

"And you were in the back to watch? That sounds difficult." Another man asked. The soldier sighed. "He made another mess in his camp and had to leave because of it.

I think I'll stick with the human generated stuff for now ...

Can anyone do better than the above using the same AI software and their own phrase? Hope so ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

As a writer and a person who dislikes the ubiquity of technology (he says typing on a laptop), I just find that incredibly saddening. I don't want to try it. I'm glad I'll be dead before humans are replaced by robots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

The sample above is tripe, but the AI will get better. Google Translate gives passable translations but nowhere near the quality of a professional translator, same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

What the **** is this ****? Is this guy supposed to be the greatest wrestler in the world? Like holy ****, I don't give a ****. No ****. You know what they say, if you're in trouble, you better be careful where you get off of this escalator. I have a ****ing gun and I want to take you to my father, his ****ing castle, his ****ing palace, and **** you in the ass." - "Bubba Ray Daddies"

A huge amount of fans, even some former fans that haven't seen Big Show in quite a while, have taken exception to those comments. Not because Big Show didn't have his moments in WWE, but rather that so many viewers believed it was all the way in which they were supposed to watch a WWE star and have that as the only thing that mattered — that he wasn't actually real and that WWE was just throwing him on a treadmill, taking the pressure off their shoulders and letting him get away with it.

You'll note that WWE often throws in a lot of "fake" stories in every single aspect of its product, but those that fall flat are usually attributed to the WWE itself.

A massive part of the problem that has many fans in disbelief is that WWE tries to do as much of that stuff as possible for fans who are truly invested in Big Show and have

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The sample above is tripe, but the AI will get better. Google Translate gives passable translations but nowhere near the quality of a professional translator, same here.

Indeed. Some highly hillarious tripe all the same :D

As for google translate - the wife tried to translate some recipes from Italian and amongst other things was told to incinerate the oven and that there was fairies at the bottom of the garden. We have a way to go I think ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 For fun

We got a free Alexa when the grandparents ordered some amazon gifts. Speech recognition is excellent

• Advertisement
Advertisement