Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PPC 1 - 2019 Blackhall

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Does anyone know if we have to bring all books back in with us on Friday? I dont think we got a timetable of what we are doing each day. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

we have now received the timetable for this weekend only by email to our student account. No word on taking books but they all appear to be introductory classes save for Sunday for a full class on conveyancing. Hard to know to take them.

Alot of carting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LawLover2020

Hey all,

Do people know if somebody passed their final FE1 in November 2020, could they start PPC Hybrid in January 2021, training contract pending obviously.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Hey all,

Do people know if somebody passed their final FE1 in November 2020, could they start PPC Hybrid in January 2021, training contract pending obviously.

Thanks everyone.

People in the PPC Hybrid with me did the same as your plan above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭vid36

The only potential problem is that the Hybrid places may be filled earlier the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Beano7760

Apologies, I'm kinda jumping in here.

I'm nearly finished my FE1 and had planned on getting a grant through Susi to help pay for PPC I. I was looking through the criteria and spotted this "A student who already holds a masters degree at level 9 is ineligible for funding for the Professional Practice Course unless that masters degree is in law".

I'm gutted as I can forget about getting funding through Susi if that's the case. I don't fit the criteria.

I've put lots of work into doing these exams and not it appears for nothing. There's no way I'm taking out a loan to cover it, would cripple me financially.

Does anyone know : is there a way of overcoming this?

Any clarification appreciated.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

Beano7760 wrote: »
    Apologies, I'm kinda jumping in here.

I'm nearly finished my FE1 and had planned on getting a grant through Susi to help pay for PPC I. I was looking through the criteria and spotted this "A student who already holds a masters degree at level 9 is ineligible for funding for the Professional Practice Course unless that masters degree is in law".

I'm gutted as I can forget about getting funding through Susi if that's the case. I don't fit the criteria.

I've put lots of work into doing these exams and not it appears for nothing. There's no way I'm taking out a loan to cover it, would cripple me financially.

Does anyone know : is there a way of overcoming this?

Any clarification appreciated.
    Thank you.

Hi, unfortunately if your firm arent paying and you cannot borrow or foot the bill yourself there are very few options.

There are a few bursary schemes, see below link but I dont know anybody who has successfully availed of these;

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Trainees/PPC-Courses/Fees--Funding/

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 notprivy

Hi Guys

Do you know if it’s possible to upgrade to a MacBook instead of getting an iPad when you start Blackhall? Or does it HAVE to be an iPad?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cupofmum

Anyone willing to give some guidance/advice:

I completed an LLB in 2012 as a mature student but never had the financial ability to complete all FE1s. I'm probably totally nuts, but it looks like a redundancy package may be coming my way and it seems like as good a time as any to try to make the necessary career change; do a prep course, sit the FE1s and get on the PPC and a traineeship with a view to hitting the jobs market by the end of 2023. Am I totally crazy?

I'm trying to figure out how much I realistically need to financially plan and it's raising a couple of questions.

1) What is a realistic timeline re the FE1s progressing into PPC1?
    If the next FE1s are in September/October (assuming), does the following PPC1 happen in time for the results of the Autumn FE1 sitting (assuming 8 passes, I know it's a big ask of myself and repeats may be nescessary, so best case scenario)

2) The schedule of fees is confusing. Outside of the fees for PPC1 and PPC2, what are all the other fees in the 'schedule of fees' available on the Law Societies website? Are the various exam fees, indenture fees etc all required? I'm trying to get a beseline total for fees payable.

Assuming I were to take a traineeship in a small firm, I'll be looking to pay most if not all of these myself. I'm trying to be realistic about the big firms trainee programs not happening. They seem geared for 20-somethings with no commitments or work/life balance concerns. I wouldn't be counting on being a candidate or it being a fit. I may qualify for a grant with SUSI after redundancy but not before, so can't count on it.

3) Are there other expenses not listed? I see, with interest, the hybrid PPC would require an iPad, is this included or purchased by the student? Are there many books, or are manuals provided? I have my own home in a commuting town, so accommodation in Dublin wouldn't be required.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 GingerAleSnail

notprivy wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Do you know if it’s possible to upgrade to a MacBook instead of getting an iPad when you start Blackhall? Or does it HAVE to be an iPad?

Thanks!

The only upgrade options we were given last Summer were iPads. Also MacBooks and laptops are not allowed in exams but iPads are

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lilyc223

Has there been a PPC1 2020 thread started does anyone one know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ronan.albert

I just started one. I can't share the link though for some reason. It's under the "Legal Discussion" category and it's called PPC1 2020.

Advertisement