Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All things Mavic Air

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Cupatae wrote: »
    I wouldnt say the Pro wins hands down

Oh - I meant that only in those two categories- Signal and battery...
    Wind I will retest - but Mavic Air better in all other regards in my opinion.

I do like flying though knowing the signal or battery is never going to be an issue.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ozmo wrote: »
    This isn't based on the weather forecast - It's extra data extracted from the drone log files you have to upload to the service- its a well regarded service - and yes it really was that windy!
    The site that does this is https://airdata.com/

I must check it out so.

But imho the Mavic Pro wins hands down in
    * Signal Reception

What kind of distance are you getting with the Mavic?
    I'm finding it slightly disappointing at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Effects wrote: »
    I must check it out so.

Have ye tried the FCC 'hack', got 4.2km in open country, zero issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Effects wrote: »
    I must check it out so.

I haven't flown an awful lot but I get around 2kms on the Mavic air although have also lost control at 30metres due to interference, but luckily it's happened only once!

My mate has the pro and regularly gets over 3km over sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

jogdish wrote: »
    Have ye tried the FCC 'hack', got 4.2km in open country, zero issues.

I'll have a look into that. I think I've been getting 2.5km but was hoping for more.

I've lost connection twice and it gets less worrying each time when it automatically heads for home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Just a heads up that with the Amazon Warehouse Black Friday sale, you can get Mavic Airs and Pros for crazy cheap this week. I picked up a new Mavic Air Flymore Combo for 670 euro this morning. Crazy value compared to the 1100 Harvey Normans are charging.

Chavways wrote:
    Just a heads up that with the Amazon Warehouse Black Friday sale, you can get Mavic Airs and Pros for crazy cheap this week. I picked up a new Mavic Air Flymore Combo for 670 euro this morning. Crazy value compared to the 1100 Harvey Normans are charging.

Do you have links? 680e for the fly more combo is unreal, I paid 890e 5 months ago. Are the warehouse products brand new?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

tedpan wrote: »
    Do you have links? 680e for the fly more combo is unreal, I paid 890e 5 months ago. Are the warehouse products brand new?

Link here.

They vary in quality from Like New all the way to acceptable. So in the case of a Like New one, it'll just have a damaged box but as you go down the scale there can be some scratches and marks on the unit and they get cheaper as a result. You are entitled to a full refund though if the item is not up to your satisfaction on arrival. Discount is applied at check out also. There are many other drones available on Amazon UK, Germany and Italy. I found the French site to be cheapest for a new one.

I've bought my latest phone this way also and saved 300 euro compared to bricks and mortar shops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

My first video, im well happy with the air! :D

Cupatae wrote:
    My first video, im well happy with the air!

Lovely video man! When was this. I'm off work this week and no chance of flying :(

• Advertisement

Lovely video man! When was this. I'm off work this week and no chance of flying :(

Thanks!,got the footage a couple of weeks back but was waiting on fiber broadband to upload it, the internet i was on was slow as tar put me off it ha Meant to be raining here all week aswell :(

Thanks!,got the footage a couple of weeks back but was waiting on fiber broadband to upload it, the internet i was on was slow as tar put me off it ha Meant to be raining here all week aswell :(

Can I ask your settings, 1080/4k fps, also what did you use to edit the video?

Can I ask your settings, 1080/4k fps, also what did you use to edit the video?

Hey jog,
    Just the standard settings that came with the Air, I used the cinematic flight mode to get slower/smoother turns, 4k at 30 fps i think! and i used Adobe Premier CC 2019 to edit it.

Cupatae wrote:
    Hey jog, Just the standard settings that came with the Air, I used the cinematic flight mode to get slower/smoother turns, 4k at 30 fps i think! and i used Adobe Premier CC 2019 to edit it.

Nice, what kind of machine are you using the Adobe premier on?

Nice, what kind of machine are you using the Adobe premier on?

ive a i7, 16gb ram, and a 1060, works real good i tried to use davinci resolve but the play back was real laggy..

ive a i7, 16gb ram, and a 1060, works real good i tried to use davinci resolve but the play back was real laggy..

:eek: oh and here was me with my i3 3rd gen with integrated gfx, I guess I better stick to the stills.

:eek: oh and here was me with my i3 3rd gen with integrated gfx, I guess I better stick to the stills.

I built mine as a gaming pc though, i dont think Adobe Prem requires all that! you can get free trials of editing software and see how you go ?

Cupatae wrote:

jogdish wrote:
    oh and here was me with my i3 3rd gen with integrated gfx, I guess I better stick to the stills.

Cupatae wrote:
    I built mine as a gaming pc though, i dont think Adobe Prem requires all that! you can get free trials of editing software and see how you go ?

Ah thought as much, nice one!

You need an i7, 16GB an SSD and dedicated graphics to comfortably edit 4k. Doesn't really matter about the software.

Ok, putting a new PC on the Christmas list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

https://euronics.ie/product/dji-mavic-pro-platinum-drone-1/?utm_campaign=Gift_Guide_New_Audience_Drones&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

This ad came up on Instagram, thought I'd post here, thought it looked like a decent deal. Have never used them, others may have

Was taking a small flight today, same location as I have done many times - however I noticed my range was very very low today and it kept reporting strong interference. Loads of just dropping the connection too, even when the mavic was 15m directly above my head.

Anyone else having issues? I noticed the DJI app was updating on my phone recently.

• Advertisement

BKWDR wrote:
    This ad came up on Instagram, thought I'd post here, thought it looked like a decent deal. Have never used them, others may have

This is the Mavic Air forum :D

Not a bad deal, though if I was getting a Mavic Pro, I'd get the 2..

jogdish wrote:
    Was taking a small flight today, same location as I have done many times - however I noticed my range was very very low today and it kept reporting strong interference. Loads of just dropping the connection too, even when the mavic was 15m directly above my head.

I had a flight yesterday which went perfectly, hopefully share some footage soon. I updated everything too but I had to calibrate the compass and wait for GPS to lock on for the first battery, after that everything was fine.

Sounds like you had a similar experience to me a few months ago. Maybe more antennas/signal masts in the area? Only happened to me once, but scary enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

BKWDR wrote: »
    https://euronics.ie/product/dji-mavic-pro-platinum-drone-1/?utm_campaign=Gift_Guide_New_Audience_Drones&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Exact same price as the official DJI store: https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-pro-platinum?from=menu_products

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Sorry yeah, and actually i was over in Harvey Normans and they have the same, i went over looking for the parrot anafi they said they had in stock but nothing on the shelves...:rolleyes:

Mavic Air fly more combo is 949e in Harvey Norman. Decent price in a retail store..

Perfect winter morning for a flight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

Hello,

Im looking to buy a drone as a gift for someone and all the prices accross all the sites in ireland appear to have massive differences.

Here is a Mavic pro for just 735e...

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/dji-mavic-pro-ready-to-fly-4k-uhd-foldable-camera-drone-with-three-axis-gim-6958265134012/version.asp

Harvey norman has the Mavic Pro Platnum for 980e...

https://www.harveynorman.ie/cameras-drones/drones-ireland/all-drones/dji-mavic-pro-platinum.html

Is the Platnum worth the extra 255e?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Swaine55 wrote: »

For a gift...Is the Platnum worth the extra 255e?

Dont think so - no. Original plus an extra battery and quiet props add ons would still be cheaper and better value.

Mavic air is good option too, especially for a new drone pilot as it has blade protectors - you would definitely need an extra battery for that one though.

They will also need to already own a suitable fairly good phone or tablet.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Swaine55 wrote: »
    Hello,

Im looking to buy a drone as a gift for someone and all the prices accross all the sites in ireland appear to have massive differences.

Here is a Mavic pro for just 735e...

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/dji-mavic-pro-ready-to-fly-4k-uhd-foldable-camera-drone-with-three-axis-gim-6958265134012/version.asp

Harvey norman has the Mavic Pro Platnum for 980e...

https://www.harveynorman.ie/cameras-drones/drones-ireland/all-drones/dji-mavic-pro-platinum.html

Is the Platnum worth the extra 255e?

Many thanks
    In answer to your question I'd gave to say no. It had improvements for sure, new quieter motors/blades for instance. But I don't think anyone who already had a standard Mavic Pro upgraded to the platinum.

How often will it be used do you think?
    If its a gift I'd go with the Spark and the fly more combo: https://www.harveynorman.ie/cameras-drones/drones-ireland/all-drones/dji-spark-fly-more-combo-alpine-white.html

• Advertisement

Haven't had many chances to fly so had a short spin around 6pm this evening..

Advertisement