Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here comes the Judge, my 69 GTO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

I know that this isn’t an engine swap, technically I’m just refitting the original engine that’s had a rebuild, but there are so many little differences with the new larger alloy heads & those massive headers that only just fit & the intake is a high rise item vs the original etc that this thing is just fighting me every step of the way…. & if I lose any more skin or blood this week I’ll be re-naming the car Christine (for the record I don’t name cars… MrsXB does, but I do not)

Decided to hook up all the heater hoses so I can fill the radiator up, connect the bottom hose to the water pump & the heater core return hose to the pump no issues

IMG_9096.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Went to connect the top hose…. & nope… no go, the original formed hose is expecting a near vertical opening to connect too

IMG_9103.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I can’t just use my original which I cleaned up to replace the shiny new one as the new one is not a flat bottomed design it has a groove cut in for an O-ring… bugger… need to find a new top hose that will work now as the angle difference is too great to “bend” the top hose I have to fit…

IMG_9095.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

For the heater core feed hose, if you look at the back of the heads you can see that each head has a barbed outlet to flow hot coolant into the heater core… the tap size for these is stupid big & I couldn’t find a blanking plug that I can swap one with & I refuse to jam a bolt into a cut off length of heater hose as that’s just pure hackery, so for now I’ll connect both up with a T-piece but I don’t like this & will want to change that later I think as there are just too many connections that could leak

IMG_9097.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9120.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I was trying to decide if I would swap out the hard vacuum line that feeds the transmission with a soft rubber one

IMG_9098.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But then I decided that it’s not that bad looking so I’ll keep it, it runs from the front of the Carb were it will get its vacuum feed from

IMG_9099.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Down the back of the engine block & connects to this modulator on the passenger side of the transmission.. this is an adjustable modulator that determines how far up the rev range the trans waits to shift up a gear, hence why it wants a vac signal from the Carb

IMG_9100.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This is not to be confused with the kickdown function, which on a TH400 trans like mine is a an electric switch that’s triggered by a switch on the top of the throttle pedal.. mine was not connected, so I’ll need to trace & run a wire for that now

IMG_9102.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Fit the Carb properly now & connected up the throttle cable & return springs… I’m not happy with the adjustment & the pedal feels a little stiff but I just want to get the car to the point we can start it & then I can fine tune stuff later

IMG_9104.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9105.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9106.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Before installing the transmission I test fit the starter so that I can measure its standoff distance from the flexplate & also the lash it has to the teeth on the flexplate

IMG_9107.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

They provide shims in the kit for both vertical & horizontal adjustment

IMG_9108.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Think I have it right now, so the transmission can go back in now

IMG_9112.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9109.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Had a friend over (first time a friend has been to our house since the June lockdown) so took advantage of the second set of arms to help lift the stupidly heavy hood off the roof & reattach it to the car…. It makes me very very happy to see it looking like a car again

IMG_9113.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9114.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Oh & of course the high rise manifold on this engine means that with the hood closed the air cleaner is pressed hard up against the heat shield… the air cleaner is already a slimline one with a drop base so I’m a little stuck here… I have found a new air cleaner element online that should be ¾ of an inch smaller so I’ve order one of them… fingers crossed

IMG_9115.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

With the trans still out I figured this would be the best/easiest time to swap out the stock shifter that I have in the car for my 1968 Hurst His & Hers shifter that I had gotten a while back…

IMG_9125.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The top cover is clipped on so that pops off pretty easily

IMG_9126.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then the shift button is gently prised off with a small screwdriver

IMG_9127.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It’s only clipped onto the shaft anyway

IMG_9128.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then the snap ring that holds the shifter knob in place can be removed

IMG_9129.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Six screws hold the console to the floor… with them up done lift that out leaving the shifter body bolted to the floor

IMG_9130.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9131.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Unbolt the shifter & place it on the bench for the obligatory new vs old side by side on a bench photo

IMG_9133.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Bolt the new shifter body to the floor & put the console back in too

IMG_9134.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9135.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

You’ll notice that the new shifter body doesn’t sit flush with the console so you can adjust the shifter body height & angle on its mounting bracket to get it spot on

IMG_9136.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

With that adjusted you can bolt it all up & clip on the new top

IMG_9137.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9138.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now why is it called a His & Hers shifter I hear no one ask…. Well because marketing in the 1960’s was very sexist… the “Her” side of the shifter was the left side that simply has Park-Reverse-Neutral-Drive-Second-Low & the chrome cover is covering up the right hand side

IMG_9144.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This right hand side when the chrome cover is slid back allows the transmission to be used in a manualised fashion similar to a slap shifter… this was considered “His” side in 1968

IMG_9145.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9141.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’ve always loved the look of them so happy when I found a fully restored 1968 original to fit to my car… I’ve also fitted the correct era Hurst equipped badge to the correct location on the boot lid

IMG_9147.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’ve also fitted a trans temp gauge to the car now too

IMG_9146.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Also the transmission is now fully installed back in the car too, no progress pics taken as it’s not really a job you stop halfway thru for pics

IMG_9149.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9148.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Epic, though isn't it amazing how every small change has a domino effect of needing more changes, you'd think the air filter would just fit!!!

And for the heater hose barbs - are thet removable? Could you bring one to a plumbing supplies and they might have a plug for it?

Epic, though isn't it amazing how every small change has a domino effect of needing more changes, you'd think the air filter would just fit!!!

And for the heater hose barbs - are thet removable? Could you bring one to a plumbing supplies and they might have a plug for it?

The heater hose barbs are removable but I suspect that my engine builder probably thread locked them to be sure they didn't leak so they will be a prick to remove...

I plan to email the support guys at Butler Performance (they've been great with any questions I've had) & get the correct size & thread pitch off them so that I can order the correct blank & have it here so when I pull the barb off I can block the hole instantly.

Daved_XB wrote: »
    The heater hose barbs are removable but I suspect that my engine builder probably thread locked them to be sure they didn't leak so they will be a prick to remove...

I plan to email the support guys at Butler Performance (they've been great with any questions I've had) & get the correct size & thread pitch off them so that I can order the correct blank & have it here so when I pull the barb off I can block the hole instantly.

That's a much better plan alright, no messing around then panicing, trying to get the correct blank because you need to run the car right now

Ok… so I’ve put off the wiring as long as I can… so I’ve chatted to some mates & got some great ideas so this is how I’ve ended up doing this. I have 3 new things in the car now that require not just a positive & negative battery connection but also need a switched 12V connection so that they are only turned on when the key in the ignition is switched to the on position. These 3 things are:

The new MSD ignition box.
    The new in tank Fuel pump
    The electric choke on the new Holley Carb

Now I don’t want to wire any of the above into the 51yro wiring of the car at all if I can help it.. so I’ve gone with an approach to combine the above 3 into a single feed that will be fed via a relay that will itself be the only thing wired into the old loom, this relay will be triggered from a 12V switched source.. so it looks like this for now..

This is the fused busbar box for want of a better name, you can see that I’ve wired the first 4 spades together these are in turn fed by the 30A relay

IMG_9119.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9118.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’ve made up a bracket to mount this box too & have mounted the relay next to it too… now I’ve cut all the wiring to the size that I can in time turn that bracket around 180 degrees & have the whole lot sitting under the top of the guard & out of the way…. But for now I want it out in the open as messy as that looks so that I can troubleshoot everything much easier

IMG_9122.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9124.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The other larger relay you can see above behind the guard is the relay that came prewired into the loom for the fuel pump. I’ve wrapped up the 3 wires that require the 12V switched feed together to make it a little neater

IMG_9150.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

These then attach to the wiring block to all be fed from the relay which will be switched by my one & only 12V switched wire feed, I really like this little block as I can run fuses in line here & with the plastic waterproof cover easily see if they are blown.

IMG_9151.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9155.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

All I have to do now run this single wire to a switched 12V connection somewhere in the engine bay, I’m probably going to use either the Tacho or Wiper feed wires

IMG_9152.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now all I have to do is to take the positive & negative feeds from the fuel pump wiring & the MSD wiring that want a direct connection to the battery terminals… I’ll be making fresh new battery cables for this as the old stuff is so stiff & the coverings very cracked from years of heat cycles

IMG_9154.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9153.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

New battery cables made up & I’m using a battery cut off switch for the negative terminal so I can quickly & easily disconnect the battery if the car is sitting for a long time as often old cars leak electricity & drain batteries, I’ve also wired in the connector for my CTEK trickle charger too…

IMG_9156.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’m pretty happy with how this has turned out… given how little I know about wiring I think I’ve come up with a good solution, of course happy to be told how to do it better…

The starter is in now & all wired up

IMG_9158.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Cleaned up & painted the trans inspection cover before fitting it

IMG_9160.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9161.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Driveshaft back in now so that’s the whole drivetrain back together

IMG_9159.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

My solution for the top radiator hose arrived today, it’s a bendable hard metal hose… so I’ll fit that tomorrow

IMG_9162.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Advertisement

Progress has been a bit slower than I’d have liked but this engine install is fighting me at every turn… it’s not massively different but just enough bits are just moved slightly enough that my original parts no longer fit right & so a lot of the final finishing bits are becoming a lot more customised than I expected, I guess I could just take the roadkill approach & just whack it together “good enough” & be done with it but I’m trying to do it right so that will take a little longer I guess…

First job sorted was the top Rad hose, the tolerances on the rubber fittings was super tight & it’s much harder to work with a metal hose than a flexible rubber one that’s for sure… I’m happy with the connection to the top of the radiator itself

IMG_9170.JPG

I can’t get the connection much better than this on the block side, if it’s going to fail & leak it will be from here I’m sure

IMG_9172.JPG

I’m happy with how this turned out but won’t know if it seals properly until we can fire the car up & get the system hot & pressurised..

IMG_9171.JPG

My new lower profile air cleaner turned up, this seems to be the lowest profile you can get anywhere so this is as good as its going to get

IMG_9163.JPG

Because it’s lower & as such will flow less air, I’ve gone for the matching filter top hat so that it can flow more air thru that too vs the old solid chrome hat

IMG_9164.JPG

IMG_9165.JPG

It’s now not touching the heat shielding mat on the underside of the bonnet now when I close the bonnet down but I might look into removing the under hood mat in the future & seeing if I can fit the Ram Air III vents to this bonnet

IMG_9173.JPG

I’ve had to modify the power steering lines as the new brackets move the PS Pump a little too far outboard for the original hard lines to work, but that’s sorted now & all connected up

IMG_9169.JPG

For some odd reason the coil wire end on the MSD distributor wasn’t the current end to work with the MSD coil so I cut off the end & made up the correct end & cut the wire to a nicer length too… no need for the extra 10 inches of wire they supplied

IMG_9166.JPG

IMG_9167.JPG

IMG_9168.JPG

Ok… so I had ordered a full MagnaFlow exhaust for the car… on the website it said that it was a kit specific to the 1969 GTO running aftermarket extractors…. That’s why I bought it rather than having to trailer the car to an exhaust shop here to get something made up custom…

Looks the part

IMG_9177.JPG

Press fits & clamps together so no need to weld big sections

IMG_9175.JPG

IMG_9174.JPG

The only bit that needs welding is the joiner to the end of the extractors flange

IMG_9176.JPG

Sadly when I finally opened the destructions I saw that the kit is in fact a generic universal kit to fit any & all GM “A” body cars from 1968-1972… now had it be listed as such on the interwebs originally I wouldn’t have ordered it as we all know that universal fit actually means it doesn’t fit anything properly…. & that is definitely the case here… I’ve spend the best part of 2-3 days playing around with this & I’m struggling to get it to fit right with no interference, it doesn’t help that I’m working on it on my own either as there are so many moving bits that when I get one section right it moves two others etc….

First issue was that a lot of the flared ends were too tight so I went & bought a neat tool to allow me to flare the end wider to ease fitment

IMG_9190.JPG

IMG_9191.JPG

IMG_9192.JPG

IMG_9193.JPG

That at least made it easier to slide the ends in as I tried to channel my inner octopus to assemble this thing

IMG_9194.JPG

IMG_9189.JPG

Now I have taken two dozen or more pics of the nightmare that was the days I played with getting this set-up.. but let me condense it down so I don’t drive you mad with picture after picture of partially installed exhausts… so the destructions ask that you set the mufflers in place first as they have a specific spot that they fit in just in front of the diff where the floor is raised under the rear seat, so I hung them in place first

IMG_9184.JPG

IMG_9186.JPG

& that’s pretty much the last thing that went to plan… so I could/can assemble the rear sections that go up & over the diff & then turn out at a 45 deg angle just past the rear wheel

IMG_9182.JPG

IMG_9199.JPG

IMG_9198.JPG

IMG_9197.JPG

But to do this I needed to modify the hangers from being straight to bending forward as the mufflers were hanging too close to the diff

IMG_9219.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9232.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But when I have the rear sections exactly as they need to be then when I start building forward the angle that the centre X box needs the exhaust to be at means that there is no way to connect all the way forward to the headers

IMG_9206.JPG

IMG_9205.JPG

IMG_9208.JPG

After cutting sections off the X-Box I can get closer

IMG_9204.JPG

But still nowhere near… so then I changed plans & started working from the mufflers forward & I can assemble that section loosely it seems

IMG_9209.JPG

IMG_9205.JPG

Then I cut down the connecting flange that will allow the new exhaust to bolt to the header

IMG_9229.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Flared the end

IMG_9226.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then welded it home

IMG_9227.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So now I can bolt up the front

IMG_9230.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9231.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But the angle that these pipes force the X-box to be at drastically alters the angles at the rear… a ¼ inch move at one end of the exhaust can be a 6-8 inch swing at the other end & causes the over the diff sections to hit the coilovers & if I change the angle to clear the coilovers then the end tip sections end up facing upwards into the boot floor at 45 degs rather than neatly out the side… FML….

So I’ve made an executive decision to not bother clearing the diff for now… I want to get the engine fired so I’ll just build the section that goes from the headers down to the mufflers & have it exit just before the diff

IMG_9237.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9238.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now clearly this is very illegal & I can’t run the car like this on the road, but I figure its good enough to allow me to get my engine builder out so that we can start the engine & bed in the cam & set the timing/tuning of the carb etc…. then I will simple take the car to an exhaust shop & get them to make up the final rear sections that go from the mufflers over the diff & out the rear… I need to get him around to do this ASAP before he flys home over the XMAS/NY holidays

Now there are still a few issues to be sorted, the fuel lines for the carb can’t be tightened (long story will be in the next update)..

I also can’t use the gearbox, the neutral/reverse safety lockout for a 69 GTO isn’t electronic it’s a physical linkage that runs from the steering column down the firewall & attaches to the same bracket the shifter cable does… well mine now fouls on the new exhaust headers…

IMG_9212.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So I can have Park, Reverse & Neutral if I really pull on the shifter but I can’t have Drive or 2nd or 1st I can’t get the linkage off to modify the end of it to allow more clearance without removing either the gearbox or the drivers side header (which needs the engine lifted up an inch or so to do)…. Also the drivers side header is actually touching the hard brake line for the passenger side front brake..

IMG_9213.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It’s also way to close to the chassis in points but I’ve been trying to ignore that… but I’ve failed at ignoring it…. Build a restomod they said… it’ll be fun they said… sooooooo If you’re a regular reader of my threads you’ll know that I’m a bit mental…

As such my plan is as follows… get the engine builder over to start & bed in & tune the engine… this will rock the engine under torque & bang it against the frame rails were the fitment is too tight… this will leave witness marks on both the headers & the chassis rails..

Then I’ll drop the gearbox back out & remove the ****ing engine again….. this will allow me easy access to rerun the front brake lines as they can’t stay were they are… also I can easily get to & modify that gearbox linkage & finally I can use a die grinder to add some relief clearance to the chassis when the headers hit & some light tapping with the muscle car special tool (the big ****ing hammer)… I really don’t want to do this & I could probably arse about & try & fix these things with the engine & gearbox still in the car but in the long run I’ve learnt over the years that the long way is often the faster way with working on cars….

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm exhausted (intentional) just reading the update, can't imagine what it's been like for you. So close!

Ok… so even the simple task of fuel lines to the side of the Holley Carb here has become a headache… how can this be hard??? To save time & effort I bought a pre-made to measure set up to bolt onto the carb rather than making up my own…

If you look at the design of this Holley there is a machined standout block on the front with the Holley name on it

IMG_9240.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This interferes with the operation of tightening up the hard fuel line to the car, as these fitting are soft aluminium I need to use the soft AN spanners on them & with the design of the fitting (they curve the edges of surfaces FFS) & the design of the Carb I can only get 2-3mm of the spanner onto them & can’t turn the spanner more than an qtr turn either so no way to tighten the bloody things up

IMG_9241.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So I can’t use this piece

IMG_9242.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So I bought the one they offer which has flat surfaces machined into the shaft so that will be fine for tightening now..

IMG_9243.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But of course the fix can’t be that simple…. The old one is a female end & the new one is a male end….

IMG_9244.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So now I have this nicely made up section that runs between the front & rear fuel bowls but I can’t connect it to the new down pipes I have…

IMG_9245.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’ll look to see if I can’t get some female to female connectors so that I don’t have to make the whole thing from scratch. Another bit I’m not happy with is the clearance between the new Moroso oil pan & the drag link, when the steering wheel is turned to full left lock it raises & it rubs against the pan

IMG_9246.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9251.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’ll have to do some research & see what I can do here… the stock idler arm & pitman arm are flat, so I need to see if there is a drop version made that will drop the drag link down a few mm… if not worst case I guess I’ll just have to grind some clearance into it

IMG_9249.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9248.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’ve been doing some thinking on how to solve my header fitment issue…

First thought was of course to just bash seven shades of ****e out of the header tubes with the hammer… bit too roadkill for me, so it’s a no.

Second thought was to grind/cut out some of the chassis rail & then cut up some pipe so that I could weld in new steel that was curved to allow for the header to sit into a recess… I was really liking this as an option & it will be my fall back plan.

The winner for now I think is that I will loosen off the bolts holding the header to the heads that will allow me to swing the header towards the engine but keep the bottom edge of the header flange hard against the head face. That will give me the position/angle that I need to have the clearance I want & then I can measure the gap between the top of the flange & the face of the head… then I will get the face of the header flange ground down at that angle to give me the clearance…

IMG_9250.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Right I took a full 7 days off working on stuff in the Skunk Works after I sent the XB off for paint, but now it’s time to get back into it & the GTO is next on the project list… so first off I needed to fix the issues I had above of the steering drag link just rubbing on the oil sump. I’ve pulled the spacer that I had installed as part of the new gearbox mount that I’d fitted when I first bought the car

IMG_9569.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9570.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9571.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This has lowered the back of the gearbox & in turn raised the front of the engine & I now have the clearance I need… I’ve also made sure that this doesn’t negatively impact the driveline angle

IMG_9573.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next up was to measure up how much of the exhaust header flange I need to trim.. so I loosened off the bolts

IMG_9576.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then I fitted some 3mm shims in & tightened up the bolts again

IMG_9579.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This 3mm swing at the actual head face has given me a huge swing at the bottom end, the header used to be actually leaning against & crushing that brake line you can see… now there is ample space

IMG_9578.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now I know how much I’ll be taking off I can remove the engine & do the changes to the brakes that I want to make… so the gearbox came back out

IMG_9581.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then the engine came back out….

IMG_9582.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9583.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9584.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9585.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now we’re in a snap lockdown here in Melbourne for the week so I can’t take the exhaust header to be machined this week.. so next I’ll sort the changes to the brake system I want next

Right… time to get back into this thing again…

IMG_9592.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

With the engine in the was a slight fouling of the steering arms on the new thicker front ARB, the clamp that locks the adjuster sleeve into place needed to be swung around

IMG_9591.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

GTO.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’d also noticed that the brake fittings for my Wilwood brake callipers were weeping, I thought this odd as they are the correct ones that came in the kit from them.

IMG_9587.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Their response was that they should be installed using this thread sealant.. first time I’ve ever heard of that… but it is their kit I guess

IMG_9588.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I need to move this distribution box as well as the hard line that runs across the crossmember to feed the passenger side calliper

IMG_9589.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9590.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9598.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’ll replace the master too whilst I’m at it for a Wilwood unit that specifically designed for 4 wheel disks

IMG_9593.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9595.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The booster is fine, I’ll just clean it off a bit…

IMG_9596.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Advertisement

Right, time to get back into this… I couldn’t find any machine shop that had a machine that could hold the exhaust in place & grind down an angle on the head mounting face… everyone wanted to just smash it with a hammer..

I’m really trying to avoid this option but I guess that it might just come down to that being my only option, I’ve tried to bend the tubes & that seemed to work for a while whilst the metal was hot but sadly metal tends to have a memory & after it fully cooled overnight it seems to have mostly returned to it’s original shape… but I think I got a tiny bit of movement. I bolted the exhaust to the engine & I used a webbed strap & a hand winch to pull the exhaust toward the engine as I headed the pipes up. This worked fine & gave me a full 10mm of movement & I was really happy with that but the following morning it had fully cooled off & pretty much gone back to where it started…

IMG_9624.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9623.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9622.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9625.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next I took the heat to the chassis rail & then used the precision special tool to percussively persuade the metal & rounded out the sharp edges where the exhaust runs, I’m hoping that I’ve moved stuff enough with these two actions, I’ll put the engine back in this weekend hopefully as that’s the only way to be sure..

IMG_9631.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9630.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9629.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now that it’s painted again you can hardly see the war crime of butchery I’ve performed here

IMG_9632.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next job & of course issue was to replace the master cylinder, I swear it seems this car is fighting every step of the way here… so when I pulled the old master off you can see the brake pushrod sticking out of the booster & the corresponding relief in the end of the piston in the master

IMG_9633.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9634.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This was never going to work with the new Wilwood unit I’d bought that was specifically a bolt on model for the GTO according to them… the relief in the Wilwood unit was an inch too deep..

IMG_9635.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Turns out the kit was missing a very important piece, luckily I had a spare master I’d bought for the Camaro in a box on a shelf & they are interchangeable

IMG_9637.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This kit came with the correct adapter to fit for the GTO pushrod length

IMG_9639.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9640.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9641.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Right so that’s that issue sorted then

IMG_9636.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I was able to simply bend the bracket for the rear distribution block so that’s now mounted in a new space on top of the chassis rail & well out of the way of the exhaust

IMG_9643.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next issue I ran into was with the new flexible braided lines for the front callipers, I can’t use the original lines as they use a bango style connector, but when I put the new lines on the end that connects to the hard line isn’t the same shape on the new lines as the old lines.. the new lines are a perfect hex end, but the original are rounded on two sides

IMG_9647.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Why does that matter I’m sure you’re asking.. well the brackets on the frame that hold these ends won’t hold the ends of my new lines & they rattle about a lot when I turn the wheels left to right.. & I just knew that that constant slight rattle would eventually cause a stress crack & a leak in the hard line

IMG_9649.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9648.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So I had to order some new brackets that hold these lines solid

IMG_9645.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9646.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now with these welded on I can connect these flexi lines up which means I can start the job of making new hardlines from the Wilwood master down

IMG_9650.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9651.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9652.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Hopefully I get some time to focus on this more this weekend & get the other little jobs sorted so that I can drop the engine back in next week sometime.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Cracking update, clever on the new brackets for the lines. I might not have been so fastidious :o

Got a bit more done on the brake lines, you can see here the 3 new lines leaving the brake bias adjuster module, the rear most line runs to join the rear brake line & was easy to do, the front one is the drivers side line that just drops down to the calliper on that side..

The middle line is the new routing of the passenger side hard line that I can’t send down & across the front cross member any more, so I’m going back to the firewall & across the engine bay that way

IMG_9659.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9654.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It’s awkward dealing with the large roll of tube.. but I wanted to get it close to limit the chance of me measuring it wrong & cutting it way too long or worse too short

IMG_9655.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now I have it cut & run & I’m happy with the path it takes, it’s well out of the way & nowhere near the headers now…

IMG_9660.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The end stops just above my new bracket on the passenger side

IMG_9656.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now why does it stop there & not just connect to the flexi line I hear no one ask…. I’ve run out of bloody fittings, well I haven’t I have a bag of them but I’ve run out of the correct size fittings

IMG_9684.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I have a heap of slightly larger sized ones but they don’t fit, they look good but I only get half a turn of thread & they bind up

IMG_9658.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I did think of using one of the old fittings, here is the best of the old ones but I knew that if I did that it would eat away at me inside… it’s a horrible affliction that I suffer from

IMG_9657.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Tried all the parts places local that were open on Sat but no one sells brake line fittings as they don’t want people who normally ask for the installation service for their newly acquired air freshener to have a go at DIY double flared brake lines I guess.. I’ll have to go to a specialist place during the week or order off the interwebs I guess… anyway that stopped play on the GTO Saturday… so head over to the Challenger thread soon to see that I did on Sunday

Went to a local brake shop & got a bag full of the right hard line fittings (for when I’m doing the XB & the Challenger).. so I was able to finish off the hard line that will run across the firewall to the passenger side brake calliper

IMG_9685.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9686.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9696.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

As you can see in the pic above I’ve also decided to heat wrap the braided fuel lines just to be sure to be sure that they don’t get too hot being that close to the head

IMG_9695.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’m also re-routing the braided trans cooler lines as I didn’t like how close they ran to the header… now I’ll run them high up the inner guard wall

IMG_9697.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I also decided to finally finishing installing the new Wilwood handbrake cables.. I started by cleaning up the threaded end of the cable that comes out of the cabin

IMG_9687.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then I threaded the new cable block onto that threaded bar, just needed to re cut the threads from fine to coarse

IMG_9688.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9689.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then mounted up the cable holder/guide

IMG_9690.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The drivers side cable just runs straight down thru it

IMG_9691.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The passenger side I’ve routed up & over the tailshaft before it turns forward thru the guide

IMG_9692.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I really like how neat that looks… sometimes it’s the little things

IMG_9693.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now it’s time to reinstall the engine again… at least I know how its done now, so we laid the headers in & cable tied them in place

IMG_9698.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Pick up the engine again

IMG_9699.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then hang it into the engine bay about an inch higher than the mounts.. that allows me to pull the headers up into position & bolt them on

IMG_9700.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then lower the engine down & bolt it in….

IMG_9702.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9701.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The clearance looks better for now but I won’t know for sure until I bolt the transmission back on & that pulls the engine to it’s fully installed angle… I hope to do that this week.

Daved_XB wrote: »

Now it’s time to reinstall the engine again… at least I know how its done now, so we laid the headers in & cable tied them in place

You'll have to print out these pages and write up a whole new Haynes manual for this car. You must know every nut & bolt intimately by now!

Ok… there’s no easy way to say this… long story short I wasn’t fully happy with the amount of new found clearance in the pic above, the gap was like 2mm at most (where the black marker is on the header tube below) & I just knew that with the engine rocking under torque load it would constantly smack.. also I didn’t like how close my newly run hard brake line was to the header either, I had just 2 inches of clearance & I figured that in traffic with no real airflow that wasn’t enough of a gap & the fluid would get way hot in that one spot & maybe even boil… you can see the gaps in the pics below

IMG_9705.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9704.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

With the engine back out I reran the hard line way across & out of the way (not sure why I didn’t do that the first time TBH)

Before

IMG_9708.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

After

IMG_9709.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Before the engine came out I marked the new area to be massaged into a new profile (or beaten with a big ****off hammer)

IMG_9710.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Heated the frame & massaged it then smoothed it with the grinder so that it would hopefully not look butchered from above

IMG_9712.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9713.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I also decided to seal up the front circuit of the brake distribution block that I had moved, I’m still using that block to run the rear line down to the Diff but the new Wilwood setup has a front left to right distribution built into the forward/rear bias adjuster.. so I welded up some brake line fittings & screwed them into the block to seal it up & make it look a little halfarsed

IMG_9714.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9715.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Advertisement

I was all set to put the engine back in for the 3rd time when I decided that I would rather set fire to it than do this a 4th time so I decided to heat up the one spot on the header that was real close (the bit with the black texter mark above) & give it a little tap with a round bar to be sure to be sure that this would now fit… I know it’s a little rough & a little redneck & I’m not proud but it’s done now.

IMG_9711.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

On the plus side I’m getting good & putting the engine back in.. did it on my own with no assistance from Mrs_XB this time & I think it took 7 mins all up… so glass twice as large as it needed to be & all that…

IMG_9716.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9717.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then the gearbox

IMG_9722.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9721.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I know it’s hard to make out in the pics but there is daylight now between the header tube & the frame…

IMG_9723.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9720.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9719.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I can stand my 3/8 ring spanner up on its side now between the rail & the tube… so that’s 14mm of clearance now… I’m so happy, I cannot express just how happy I am that this is finally sorted & I know I can fire it up & drive it without any clearance issues & you can’t see the reshaping of the header tube.. you have to be under the car & even then actually looking for it to see it, so I’m supper happy about that too.

GTO1.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Advertisement