Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chinese Big Lie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

fryup wrote: »
    out of interest...do you ever watch Serpentza youtube channel? if so what do think? is he accurate in his views on chinese society?

the dude comes across like someone who was molested by China. He done nothing but moan the whole time here was there but stayed as without it he was nothing.
    I always found this amusing about his ilk. They stay in China and moan for years but never leave as they know thye have no talent. I never stayed in a country a min longer then I wanted to be there.

People who have control of their lives do this. China had the biggest collection of expat losers I have ever saw and like Serpentza, sat on high stools drinking the cheapest beer, bitching and moaning. I knew I wanted to leave China and I would say within days of deciding it, I was gone. I can travel back now and enjoy it knowing I can leave when ever I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

FVP3 wrote: »
    Because somebody else mentioned the supposed genocides of Chinese imperialism, I merely pointed out the US was the greatest genocidal nation in the 19C, far surpassing all European empires.

I call Bull**** on this number, whatever it has to do with the topic on hand.
    To put simply there was never enough Native Americans to be killed in 19th century USA to be killed to ever come close to what the Spanish did before in South America, never mind to take all of them togethor.
    Its an aside to the main argument.

Yes, it is. So why are you bringing it up? The CCP have killed directly and indirectly up to 100 Million people the past 80 years. A great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

For anyone still not believing the Chinese numbers; just look at Taiwan specifically a much freer nation.
    363 Confirmed
    54 recovered
    5 deaths

Population 23.78 million with the a fairly close proximity to the mainland.

Would anyone dispute their numbers? Are they obviously lying? Do they live in fear of retribution for themselves and their families if they speak out?

They went into lockdown in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭skellig_rocks

2u2me wrote: »
    For anyone still not believing the Chinese numbers; just look at Taiwan specifically a much freer nation.
    363 Confirmed
    54 recovered
    5 deaths

Population 23.78 million with the a fairly close proximity to the mainland.

Would anyone dispute their numbers? Are they obviously lying? Do they live in fear of retribution for themselves and their families if they speak out?

They went into lockdown in January.

Taiwan never went into lockdown.
    School are already running since March and shops has been opening.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/04/asia/taiwan-coronavirus-response-who-intl-hnk/index.html

"Taiwan rapidly produced and implemented a list of at least 124 action items in the past five weeks to protect public health," report co-author Jason Wang, a Taiwanese doctor and associate professor of pediatrics at Stanford Medicine, said in a statement. "The policies and actions go beyond border control because they recognized that that wasn't enough."

This was while other countries were still debating whether to take action. In a study conducted in January, Johns Hopkins University said Taiwan was one of the most at-risk areas outside of mainland China -- owing to its close proximity, ties and transport links.

Among those early decisive measures was the decision to ban travel from many parts of China, stop cruise ships docking at the island's ports, and introduce strict punishments for anyone found breaching home quarantine orders.

In addition, Taiwanese officials also moved to ramp up domestic face-mask production to ensure the local supply, rolled out islandwide testing for coronavirus -- including retesting people who had previously unexplained pneumonia -- and announced new punishments for spreading disinformation about the virus.

Taiwan never went into lockdown.
    School are already running since March and shops has been opening.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/04/asia/taiwan-coronavirus-response-who-intl-hnk/index.html

I'm quite shocked that you've quoted that article as that is the one I've already read. In it it mentions it closed its ports and border with China, as well as implemented home quarantine orders.

What would you call that?

• Advertisement

I'm quite shocked that you've quoted that article as that is the one I've already read. In it it mentions it closed its ports and border with China, as well as implemented home quarantine orders.

What would you call that?

I thought lockdown means everyone staying at home and most shops closed?
    I wouldn't consider banning certain travelers and self isolating travellers are lockdown.
    CNN wrote:
    In particular, Taiwan's rapid and transparent response -- with medical officials holding daily briefings on the matter -- has been held up as an example of how democracies can still rein in epidemics, even as some were claiming only an autocratic government like China's could effectively control such a rapidly spreading virus. Taiwan also avoided the type of strict lockdowns that characterized the response in China and many other countries.

I thought lockdown means everyone staying at home and most shops closed?
    I wouldn't consider banning certain travelers and self isolating travellers are lockdown.

Well I guess we are just arguing semantics. They took drastic early measures to restrict the spread of the virus I'm sure we agree.

Well I guess we are just arguing semantics. They took drastic early measures to restrict the spread of the virus I'm sure we agree.
    Yes I agree with that. If we did what Taiwan did in early February we definitely could avoid "hard" lockdown we are experiencing now.

Yes I agree with that. If we did what Taiwan did in early February we definitely could avoid "hard" lockdown we are experiencing now.

We definitely dropped the ball on this one. I just think its pretty vile to now be blaming the chinese for something we could have done ourselves which is proven Taiwan knew about and did. In that article you quote it mentions how Asia learned there lessons from their previous outbreaks that we did not learn.

China announced to the world on January 20th that the virus was human-human transmissable.

The WHO said later on January 23 that the outbreak did not yet constitute a public emergency of international concern and there was "no evidence" of the virus spreading between humans outside of China.

Timeline: How the Corona Virus Spread -Al Jazeera

China and Taiwan undertook extreme measures from that week.

The WHO needs to be held accountable at the end of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭jmreire

Have a look at this vid on how the South Koreans handled the Corona Virus.

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

• Advertisement

Ok so klaz you are listing impediments to a ban.

Dunno what that means. You want to insult me for some reason? Or you believe that I should be banned for some reason?

I understand the rules fairly well. Attack the posts, not the poster. I do find it difficult sometimes to stick to that, but, I have very few infractions or warnings throughout my time on boards (I've kept all the messages to remind me). Not even banned once. Strange, isn't it? [Considering I tend to post to political, CA, and mens/womens rights related threads.]
    I have no reason to quibble with your POV. And experience of living in China.

However I can tell you that if China is hit with rolling multi billion dollar fines from the global community (based on their own reports and not Chinese propaganda) then wet markets will be eradicated.

:D However.

Except that China would never pay said fines, never accept the right of an international community to level said fines, and would be encouraged to believe further in their victim complex that the world is out to get them.

If China was hit with fines over this, I'd fully expect them to close ranks against irrational aggression. Since it is irrational. Wet markets exist in many countries around the world, and nobody has pushed hard for their closure before, except for health organisations who were soundly ignored. This focus on China's wet markets only came about because of Covid, and if there was any serious intention on making the world a safer place, then the focus would be to reduce wet markets and the exotic trade worldwide. It wouldn't be centered solely on China... which it currently is.

goldbug371 wrote: »
    The government are out to ensure their survival above all. They would never never enforce it all the time unless it was beneficial to them.

Well, they're smart puppies when it comes to running China, and understand their own people very well. Less accomplished with understanding foreigners, but when it comes to change within their own country, they're usually spot on.

I've made the point a few times but it tends to be ignored. Wet markets are essentially aimed at the poor, whether that's in the cities or in the countryside. The M.Class or rich go to the supermarkets, where the prices are higher. Low tier supermarkets exist, but the general quality of meat/veg is horrible. For the poor, wet markets are the only current viable place to buy their foodstuffs without going to a restaurant or street food, which carry their own risks/costs.

The government know this, and that's why they don't want to push too hard on wet markets. Mao conquered China by using the anger of the poor. The Party doesn't want that anger turned against them. So.. yes.. it is their self-interests that are paramount.
    If they wanted to, however, they would conduct a publicity campaign to say that wet markets are unhygienic and patriotic Chinese protect their country by embracing the highest standards of hygiene. In a cashless society, they might then monitor payments to and from anyone suspected of being involved in this trade and adjust their social scores or punish accordingly to deter the black market trade. Although they may not completely eradicate it, they would hugely reduce the trade. I condone none of this totalitarianism by the way, I'm just theorising as to how they would enforce a ban to answer your question. I suppose I have more belief in the power of the CCP than you. I think that ultimately the government don't want to ban the markets.

Prostitution, I have no real knowledge about to be frank. I get my hair cut at home:)

Wechat and Alipay accounts can be set up easily for the receipt of payments without leaving any significant details. It's one of the reasons the beggars have gone cashless... they can conduct illegal activities easily that way, considering the crackdown on organised crime using beggars for alternative income.

It all comes back to the practicalities about the poor. An alternative needs to be provided for them... across all of China. Would you trust local governments to establish, maintain such ventures without lining their pockets in some manner? I certainly wouldn't. I doubt Beijing is foolish enough to believe it either.

In any case, until a practical alternative is found that doesn't push the poor to revolt, wet markets will be allowed to function outside of the law. It's the Chinese way. Make laws/regulations, and then find ways to bypass or ignore them on a local level.... and then a big cleanup when a noteworthy dude visits the location.

Re, prostitution, it used to be everywhere. Walk down any side street and you'd find a range of "options". Out in the open for everyone to see, but their "culture of silence" extends to things like that. Most people just ignore it, even though next door to their home, there might be a brothel, or such. I just figured you'd seen the hairdresser thingy, since it used to be a fairly common sight in the evenings across many cities. All gone now. China does change, but most change is superficial, and on the outside. They'll find their own ways to continue their traditions/habits behind closed doors, or only accessible to the "approved".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

jmreire wrote: »
    Have a look at this vid on how the South Koreans handled the Corona Virus.

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

I'd say watch this space when it comes to South Korea. They've been held up as the poster boy for coronavirus response, but the virus is still spreading and nightclubs, bars, parks and workplaces are still all open.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I know many of us blaming China but keep in mind, we have distinct immune systems and our governments used different strategies. Even Trump admin wasn't serious about this virus since beginning. Chinese lockdown was also strict as compared to our ones.

fryup wrote: »
    out of interest...do you ever watch Serpentza youtube channel? if so what do think? is he accurate in his views on chinese society?

Fairly accurate.. although he has an axe to grind about China. I've met him in Shenzhen. Nice guy. Very clued in, but there is a bitterness in him about how Chinese people behaved towards him after his marriage, and later, when he became popular on YouTube. The problem is though that he went looking for trouble, posting critical videos, which is a severe no no... and something all expats know will generate negative reactions from government officials. He then tweaked their noses by posting videos of sensitive topics... and got worse reactions.. so... Yup.

He expected to be able to do his YouTube reports while also living in the Chinese mainland. He forgot that Shenzhen wasn't HK. It was idiotic, but people make foolish errors in judgment when they should have known better.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Maybe a bit before your time but there was a similar view about SARs when it first appeared around 2000. The West mobilised to counter it and it did not get beyond SE Asia. 80K infected and 3K dead.

To me who saw both this looked similar and the numbers the CCP were quoting also looked similar. But we all know it isn't.

This argument that "you should have known what was happening" has been used for a long time from MeToo to the Catholic church's child abuse. It did not wash then and it does not wash now.

Before my time? I'm 43. Not 16. :D

what "you should have known argument"? Care to be more specific?
    18 years in China???odd what did you possibly do? Don't say english teacher as over 30 that isn't respectable

I started in China as an English teacher at the grand age of 31... so... :P

There's nothing wrong with being an English teacher in China. Regardless of the teachers age. I have friends in their mid-60s still teaching English there. It's simply the easiest ways to get and hold a visa in China... there are so few hassles compared to many of the other visas, and the money can be pretty good depending on qualifications and the schools you work at.

I lecture business management, but I still do English teaching for my university. It's often great fun, and a great way to meet Chinese people who like western culture. Trying to find English speakers outside of a classroom can be quite tricky depending on where you are (My Mandarin is just so so.. although my local dialect is pretty good) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

CCP aside, their numbers are no different to other nations in the region which have got hold of it quick and fast. Look at Vietnam, Lao, Taiwan, Cambodia and Mongolia.
    South Korea got hold of it quick.

Blaming China is now just a smoke screen to cover from the gross incompetance shown by the likes of France, UK, USA, Spain etc.. in dealing with this months after they knew. I can see through all that.

The numbers in China my need adjusting a little but the fact remains that it can't be far off. There is 2 Million expats in the country all with access to VPNs (VPNs in China are everywhere) so information can't really be surpressed and nothign really comes out. I was even talking on FB and other social media all the way through to people, some within 150km of Wuhan. None knew of anyone who died, not of the extensive expat community seemed to have died or their Chinese contacts. The virus can't have been trained to avoid the expats for fear of leaks.

Anyways, things seem to be opening back up and even bars open again and now the satellite images cleary show the pollution is back.

We are all watching the same news in Europe and America with horror but I see this more of a crisis of organisation, equipment, preperation and years of underfunded, underpaid, underappreciated health care systems.

Allowing the politicians to turn the focus away from this and back to China is a tactic to diminish them from responsibility and you'd be foolish to fall for it.

Plus the dog-whistling racism that is creeping out now in the most surprising of corners during this crisis shows that half of society is only a few lockdown days away from becoming the most odious of people.

It's been a great enlightener.

Since when is talking about China being considered racism?

China was caught quite recently lying through their teeth about SARS.
    The same regime now should be considered trustworthy?
    Doctors who tried to inform about recent wuhan virus outbreak were immediately silenced and some of them dissappeared completely.

But hey, if pointing out that communist regime is not trustworthy is racist then good luck to you...

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Since when is talking about China being considered racism?

China was caught quite recently lying through their teeth about SARS.
    The same regime now should be considered trustworthy?
    Doctors who tried to inform about recent wuhan virus outbreak were immediately silenced and some of them dissappeared completely.

But hey, if pointing out that communist regime is not trustworthy is racist then good luck to you...

Agreed. Scrutinizing and criticising the CCP government has nothing to do with racism.

Interestingly state media outlets and government spokespeople have coopted the language of the woke left in the west and now wheel out 'white supremecy' attitudes when they get criticised on HK or Xinjiang. They know how to play these people like a fiddle, and we can see many lap it up.

The woke left are a constant source of mockery on Chinese social media, they have a term for it: 白左. Which literally means 'white left'. They know them to be easily manipulated and are fully aware that this type of person is the soft underbelly in US / Europe when it comes to defending Chinese interests and behaviour. Prompted accusations of racism will be lapped up and amplified by this cohort of people in the west.

Meanwhile, Muslim minorities are spirited away to gulags and Beijing puts their boot on the throat of HK democracy activists.

Fairly accurate.. although he has an axe to grind about China. I've met him in Shenzhen. Nice guy. Very clued in, but there is a bitterness in him about how Chinese people behaved towards him after his marriage, and later, when he became popular on YouTube. The problem is though that he went looking for trouble, posting critical videos, which is a severe no no... and something all expats know will generate negative reactions from government officials. He then tweaked their noses by posting videos of sensitive topics... and got worse reactions.. so... Yup.

He expected to be able to do his YouTube reports while also living in the Chinese mainland. He forgot that Shenzhen wasn't HK. It was idiotic, but people make foolish errors in judgment when they should have known better.

I'd agree with this also. Nothing he says is particularly wrong, but his videos are rather on the nose and were always likely to attract negative attention.

Having said that, China has become something of a cold house for foreigners in the Xi era, and attitudes have hardened in a big way. Doesn't matter if you're a teacher, an engineer or working in finance. It's all been cultivated from the top. Xi is very much a red nationalist, and for my money is a much more dangerous character than Trump.

The irony is many of the Chinese people abroad who hold this hardened attitudes to laowais expect and demand full access to our culture, economy and the fruits the societies we have built when they migrate abroad (even if it is temporary). I've met Chinese expats in Ireland, who have a rather serpentza attitude towards their host country when you go digging. Many of them would be in line for Irish citizenship, and I won't lie, I'd have my doubts about their fidelity to the state when it comes down to it. The Chinese government keeps the diaspora on a short leash and isn't afraid to weaponise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

The idea that being a teacher in China past the age of 30 isn't "respectable" is an idiotic one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Could any of the many Chinese posters on here give us some recommendations for restaurants please?

I know a lot of people are in lockdown but FFS the amount of shyte being pedaled around here is ludicrous in the extreme.

The statement by one poster that Tibet was seemingly an invention of the CIA and the Chinese takeover was just sweeping out the dastardly lamas has to be one of biggest pieces of shyte I have the misfortune of reading in years.

And one poster drew a distinction between Nazi German/Imperial Japan and China with references to genocide.
    Except communist China has kinda flirted with the old genocide themselves in their time and a lot later than WWII.

Pol Pot ring a bell for anyone ?

I am taking an intense dislike to all things Chinese these days and that includes it's people that support and are part of the ruling party.
    The ruling party isn't just the guys in the old Politburo, Central Committee, National Congress, it is all the ones right throughout the country, and now actually right throughout the world, doing the dirty work for the party and here spewing shyte on behalf of the party.

I'd be cautious about pinning the blame for CCP behaviour on Chinese people at large. A good many of them dislike the turn China has taken (a couple of my Chinese friends would have confided as such), but even abroad, the window for disagreement and the danger of being frozen out of the Chinese community in whatever country they are in is very real; also with possible professional concequences or worse if they return to China.

A good example is the Chinese student associations in universities (a massive problem in the Aussie uni system). It's not unusual for the local Chinese consulate or embassy to marshall students to their own ends.

I'd have sympathy for a young Chinese person who goes abroad to experience a liberal education and differing points of view, only to have their mouths sealed shut by their compatriots.

Yurt! wrote: »
    The irony is many of the Chinese people abroad who hold this hardened attitudes to laowais expect and demand full access to our culture, economy and the fruits the societies we have built when they migrate abroad (even if it is temporary). I've met Chinese expats in Ireland, who have a rather serpentza attitude towards their host country when you go digging. Many of them would be in line for Irish citizenship, and I won't lie, I'd have my doubts about their fidelity to the state when it comes down to it. The Chinese government keeps the diaspora on a short leash and isn't afraid to weaponise them.

An article about Chinese in Ireland during Hong Kong Protests last year:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/china-has-a-lot-of-spies-in-ireland-activists-claim-1.4097005

• For people who have family back in China, being identified as expressing views Beijing does not approve of can have significant consequences, these activists claim. People who live here can find it hard to get visas to visit family, they say. Family members back in China can be punished for what a family member has said here in Ireland, they claim. And people here temporarily fear the consequences for themselves once they return home.
    • The Chinese man from the mainland, who supports the protesters in Hong Kong, believes the wider Chinese community in Ireland is also part of a monitoring network. “They have a lot of spies,” he says. Some spy because they are asked to, he says. Others do it because they love China and CCP. “They don’t see a difference between China and the party, but the party is very evil. It is a dictatorship.”
    • The Chinese authorities use local Chinese-Irish associations and student groups, the activists claim. Such organisations have people from the CCP in them who keep an eye on everyone, they say. “That is how they manipulate people when they are outside China. It is not obvious. It’s sneaky.”

Not all cross-cultural groups are invovled in this practice, of course, but one organisation about which there has been extensive controversy – and which has Irish branches – is the international network of the Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA). Local CSSAs provide useful support to Chinese students and scholars studying and working outside China, but are also used by the CCP to promote and monitor loyalty, according to a report last year by the Washington DC-based US-China Economic and Security Review Commission.

CSSAs “receive guidance from the CCP through Chinese embassies and consulates—governmental ties CSSAs frequently attempt to conceal—and are active in carrying out overseas Chinese work consistent with Beijing’s United Front strategy,” the report says.

Authoritarian Advance, a report published last year by the Global Public Policy Institute in Berlin, gave details as to the European network of CSSAs. “The CSSAs report to Chinese embassies on Chinese students who take part in activities that are considered sensitive by the Chinese government”, the report says. “These students and their families at home can face retaliation in the form of threats from Chinese officials.”

There are CSSA branches in UCD, NUI Galway, and DCU, and the Waterford Institute of Technology. The Irish website of the organisation is listed on the website of the Chinese embassy in Dublin. Efforts to contact the Irish association by email (its website lists no phone numbers) had received no response at the time of going to press.

Confucius Institutes in Irish universities are also very worrying:

http://www.universitytimes.ie/2019/04/do-irish-confucius-institutes-threaten-academic-freedom/

“There’s definitely an irrational fear of China and all things Chinese”, she says. But, she qualifies: “to be worried about interference from the Chinese government on the areas that they don’t like people discussing, I have experienced it. It definitely happens. So that is not irrational.”
    Jackson notes the “three Ts” that China is notoriously cagey about: the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989, when many protesters were killed by Chinese authorities; the sovereignty of Tibet; and the status of Taiwan.
    “Increasingly, they’re getting nervous about other things”, Jackson says. “The Chinese embassy tried to stop me giving a public lecture last year about the great famine of China, 1959 to 60. They had no right to do that. It was here on campus. So people have good reason to worry about pressure coming from Chinese authorities of various kinds.”

My biggest worry about China's influence is we can no longer exercise our freedom of expression to critise China, or say anything "bad" about China, in Ireland.

My biggest worry about China's influence is we can no longer exercise our freedom of expression to critise China, or say anything "bad" about China, in Ireland.

Such is the level of reliance on the Chinese economy, New Zealand, and particularly Australian politics has been thoroughly overran with politicians that are completely servile to China.

New Zealand has an MP who was a CCP member (does one ever leave?) and taught at a defense intelligence institute in China.

Our own business community is in thrall to them as well, although we can be thankful we don't have the same level of exposure as NZ and Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

CCP aside, their numbers are no different to other nations in the region which have got hold of it quick and fast. Look at Vietnam, Lao, Taiwan, Cambodia and Mongolia.
    South Korea got hold of it quick.

Blaming China is now just a smoke screen to cover from the gross incompetance shown by the likes of France, UK, USA, Spain etc.. in dealing with this months after they knew. I can see through all that.

The numbers in China my need adjusting a little but the fact remains that it can't be far off. There is 2 Million expats in the country all with access to VPNs (VPNs in China are everywhere) so information can't really be surpressed and nothign really comes out. I was even talking on FB and other social media all the way through to people, some within 150km of Wuhan. None knew of anyone who died, not of the extensive expat community seemed to have died or their Chinese contacts. The virus can't have been trained to avoid the expats for fear of leaks.

Anyways, things seem to be opening back up and even bars open again and now the satellite images cleary show the pollution is back.

We are all watching the same news in Europe and America with horror but I see this more of a crisis of organisation, equipment, preperation and years of underfunded, underpaid, underappreciated health care systems.

Allowing the politicians to turn the focus away from this and back to China is a tactic to diminish them from responsibility and you'd be foolish to fall for it.

Plus the dog-whistling racism that is creeping out now in the most surprising of corners during this crisis shows that half of society is only a few lockdown days away from becoming the most odious of people.

It's been a great enlightener.

Deflect all you want the blame for this sits squarely at China's door. It has nothing to do with race and you know it.

Such is the level of reliance on the Chinese economy, New Zealand, and particularly Australian politics has been thoroughly overran with politicians that are completely servile to China.

New Zealand has an MP who was a CCP member (does one ever leave?) and taught at a defense intelligence institute in China.

Our own business community is in thrall to them as well, although we can be thankful we don't have the same level of exposure as NZ and Aus.

Yeah China needs access to Aus's raw materials for its industries and NZ's daily products from its babies. At this moment Ireland is not high-priority in Chinese radar but as the US-China trade war escalate in the future and all high-tech bans, the Chinese may see Ireland as a strategic "partner", for its companies like Huawei etc. I am not too confident our politicians have the political gut to stand against "mighty" China, in area which may be betrayal of Irish/Western national interests.

Actually I think Huawei just expanded their operations in Ireland last year:

https://www.newstalk.com/news/huawei-announces-100-jobs-opens-new-dublin-office-918367

Having said that, China has become something of a cold house for foreigners in the Xi era, and attitudes have hardened in a big way. Doesn't matter if you're a teacher, an engineer or working in finance. It's all been cultivated from the top. Xi is very much a red nationalist, and for my money is a much more dangerous character than Trump.

Yes, and no.

There's been a variety of shifts in State thinking regarding us foreigners. One month, it's all about showing how wonderful foreigners are and the contributions they make, the next month, we're an immoral/dangerous influence that needs to be pushed out.

My girlfriend works for the PSB and even she's said that the direction from the Party regarding foreigners is very confusing. Soft and hard stances being applied by different people, and it's all coming from Beijing.

Xi is dangerous because he's willing to play the game. He understands politics, and can manipulate his citizens pretty damn well. He's definitely dangerous, but so too is Trump. Although IMHO... Trump/Obama/Bush.. they were all dangerous as presidents.. So many posters here praise Obama but he's like a clone of Xi. Charismatic but dodgy to the hilt.

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Klaz just to say you took my post yest eve up wrong

I meant you are listing impediments to a wet market ban in China.

Apologies if it wasn’t clear.

Then you go on to say China will dismiss any fines and won’t pay. I’ll take your word on that.

No skin off the worlds nose. As someone else said let the west relocate it’s manufacturing etc to the likes of Vietnam.

Let china go back to being a pariah state until the funds are forthcoming.

We are beyond the point of patience at this stage.

Not that you will care but I have encountered ferocious levels of anger aimed directly at China among my family, friends and wider network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Klaz just to say you took my post yest eve up wrong

I meant you are listing impediments to a wet market ban in China.

Apologies if it wasn’t clear.

Then you go on to say China will dismiss any fines and won’t pay. I’ll take your word on that.

No skin off the worlds nose. As someone else said let the west relocate it’s manufacturing etc to the likes of Vietnam.

Let china go back to being a pariah state until the funds are forthcoming.

We are beyond the point of patience at this stage.

Not that you will care but I have encountered ferocious levels of anger aimed directly at China among my family, friends and wider network

Yeah there is no doubt people have had it up to here with China but the CCP in particular. We all must shoulder some responsibility for that because of our unhealthy lust for cheap goods and tat. That said we have the power as consumers the world wide to change that and punish China for what they have hoisted upon us all.

But yeah plenty of anger out there with valid justification.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Deflect all you want the blame for this sits squarely at China's door.

How do you figure that? Look at how Taiwan handled the situation.

It's like being attacked by a very slowly moving attack dog. You could take measures to move out of the way and avoid this very slowly approaching dog, or you could stand there let it bite you and then blame the owner(and completely avoid your own responsibility). I'd prefer to move out of the way myself.

Advertisement